The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am preparing to change the rear pads on my S4s. I may also want to refurbish the calipers while I'm in there. The ABS system was bypassed/deleted by PO. Is there something I should do differently when I bleed the brakes? Also, is there any tips to do the job?

Thanks
Rob

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,863 Posts
Depends on what they did to 'delete' the Delco ABS system.

Originally, the rear brakes were only 'engaged' via the power brake (edit) pump. On a traditional brake system, the rears were actuated by the master cylinder.

·
Registered
812 Posts
can you post a pic of the Master Cylnder area? If the rear circuit is now hooked to the master cyl then you would bleed like a traditional system.

·
S4s
697 Posts
@Robotech

SHORT ANSWER: Depressurize the ABS (about 2000 psi) by having the key in the OFF position & pumping the brake (not pressing pedal real hard though because that can possibly damage seals) about 40 - 50 times (you will feel the pedal get soft and travel farther once depressurized). Then bleed normally by pressing on the brake pedal to force fluid out for non-ABS.

I just flushed my brake fluid two weeks ago. Normally, if you had ABS, the rear brakes are bled by turning the key to ON (but engine not running) and then pressing the brake pedal about 1/2 way down to have the ABS pump engage to do the bleeding for you. There is a brake bleed procedure located in Section JF (around PDF page 930) of the Service Manual you should use as a reference because there are additional notes in there.

Redoing the seals on the Brembos are a pain. I think I had to have a professional shop with their equipment to re-install the caliper springs and cylinders because I couldn't get it done myself.

TIP: I like to have 3 people do the bleeding:
  • one person to press the brakes
  • one person to monitor the brake fluid to not allow any air to get sucked down the line
  • one person to wrench the brake nipple off & on

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Atwell,
When I read it ran off the PS pump I thought that was unusual but I wouldn't put it past them LOL.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this a better pic?

I am pretty sure the brakes have been rendered a traditional, non-assisted system
My main goals are
1) change out rear pads
2) change the brake fluid along with the other fluids so that they are on the same schedule.
3) evaluate the calipers as PPI indicated possible sticking (I have not gotten a sense that this is the case)
4) recondition and repaint due to their faded look.

@Seraph if you couldn't do the seals then I highly doubt I would be able to...
I am leaning more and more towards a trip to PNM :D
that stimulus check cant come quick enough!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Yeah that is the stock MC so the procedure described above is in order.

You could also just remove the resistor and plug in the ABS and let the ABS pump do the work as described. Assuming the system is working properly.

I know on the Stimulus check! I went to the web site to see where mine was at. Says they dont have my direct deposit info. Odd since they DD a refund of a couple of bucks a month ago?? I guess the one hand is not talking to the other yet.

·
S4s
697 Posts
Replacing the seals are fairly straight forward.

My problem was that my caliper cylinders/pistons were not in good shape (I think it was my rear ones that were bad IIRC). At the time in 2015, I was unable to find identical rear Brembos. So I ordered some from Rock Auto for a 1992 Dodge Monaco which I thought would fit (I know the 1st Gen Vipers have the same rear Brembos). The Monaco calipers turned out to not have a wide enough mouth to fit over the pads and rotor. However, I was able to take the cylinders out of the Monaco Brembos and put them in my Esprit Brembos. That was when I needed an auto shop to help because of the internal springs needed some sort of special tool to reinstall them. As you can see my cylinders were worn on the wall and cracking on the top of the piston. So you may want to check yours for this issue.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts