The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

ABS kicks in when hitting small bumps under light braking

9K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Newhouse 
#1 ·
I have started noticing an issue lately where the ABS system will prematurely kick in, way before the tires would loose traction. It is happening during normal driving where I am not braking hard at all. It will also kick in sometimes under light braking if I hit a small bump in the road. I have tried searching the forum for answers but cannot find any info. Does anyone have experience with this issue? I recently changed brake pads to Hawk HPS + and fluid to Motul RBF600, though I must say I did notice this issue occasionally before changing pads and fluid. (Seems to be happening more frequently now). Any help is appreciated, thanks.

#5 ·
Sounds to me like your ABS sensors might be bad - try this. Get in a parking lot and crank the wheel all the way left or right and start to move slowly. If the sensors are messed up it could be affecting your traction control too. If you see the traction light popping on while turning slowly that might be exactly it. It's also possible the connection got loosened when you changed out the pads/fluid.

Mine has done this from time to time and it's always been the sensors.

#7 ·
The only time the ABS on my Elise engages is when the tires loose traction over super bumpee surfaces at speeds at least over 60mph.

When I bedded my brakes last summer I could barely manage to get the ABS to engage. The ABS in these cars doesn't come on often. I've never had it engage on smooth surfaces and also on tracks.

I think the main reason mine doesn't engage much is due to the sticky togo r888 tires. I run low pressure also: 23/25 street and even lower on the track depending on conditions.

What are your tires?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.