The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short, my car has that dreaded "intermittent ABS light" problem and it looks like the ABS module is at fault. Does anyone knows if Lotus Elise ABS modules are VIN coded (like the newer audi and bmw) ? If I was to replace it with a new, or a used abs module from another car, would I have to VIN code it, to match my car's vin ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello, I had the same issue. ABS light goes on sometime. I thought I didn't bleed right when putting on SS line* so I re-bled, ABS sometimes go out but comes back.
I saw the $200 repair at isokinetic, but I was going to give it a try myself to do some basic work. I was going to look for cold solder and resolder, some youtube videos showed that.

Take off the cover, grille, then you will find the Bosch ABS unit. No need to remove plastic rain cover above radiator. The connector is held down by a 'pull' knob that pulls sideways toward rear. It will be dry/tight so wiggle out with small screwdriver. Don't unclip the plastic cable cover, it doesn't help with connector removal.
The square pull comes out about 3/4", then it frees the connector.

I sprayed WD40 on connector and put it back together, and ABS light is gone! I didn't remove or open the module. Just WD40 on connector.
Connector is exposed to the elements so after 13 years, there was some contact issue.

My dash was going haywire for a long time, speedo/RPM cutting out, gas level going blank, etc. That seems to have gone away too.

*If I had a second chance, I won't do it again. The car is so light you don't put much pressure on the hoses anyway. I can't tell the difference.

Connector 'pull' is kind of like this, I didn't take photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I tried cleaning the connector like voodoocat suggested. It worked for a short while. My module is now out and I sent it to Inokinetic. I will report back. Crossing my fingers for working ABS!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried cleaning the connector like voodoocat suggested. It worked for a short while. My module is now out and I sent it to Inokinetic. I will report back. Crossing my fingers for working ABS!
Same here. Even after connector cleaning, the light comes on almost immediately on hot days, or after a long drive on the cool/cold day. Probably a failing solder joint, or a failing electronic component. What is involved in removal of the module ?

·
Premium Member
11,319 Posts
When I see the speedometer reading begin to fluctuate, I know the ABS light is due to light up.

Don't use WD40. Deoxit is much, much better.

This time, I wrapped the connectors at each wheel in silicone tape (seals well, sticks only to itself).

I'm hoping this fix lasts longer than the usual 1-2 yrs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A few pictures from my 2009 Elise. I had that connector apart, cleaned it, but it did not help in my case.
Hi again, well my ABS light came back again too.

I did pull the module out. (Kelsey Hayes EBC430) Need to loosen (not remove) clam to get clearance to move module up and out. 3 bolts, one hex on top and two behind side marker area. One bolt need access from door hinge area (don't remove it, just loosen). Good thing is that, tiny rocks stuck between panel gap at side marker can finally be cleaned out.
Anyway there is two blade connector (female) at underside of module. It connects to the ABS motor.
The ABS motor male blade connector looked like it had contact/oxidation issues so cleaned up (sandpaper, etc). I think that was the source of intermittent ABS light.

Attached is not from my module but it looks identical. Notice the two connectors. I don't know if Lotus EBC430 has different software/electronics from other EBC430.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
So, I got my ABS module back from Inokinetic and now the light is gone! The ABS works again. So happy I did not have to buy a new module @ $1800 or so. Thanks shinoo!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
So, I got my ABS module back from Inokinetic and now the light is gone! The ABS works again. So happy I did not have to buy a new module @ $1800 or so. Thanks shinoo!!
Did you have to remove the front clam to get to the ABS module? Is it possible to do it without removing the clam?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts