The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to tap into the collective again. Kinda like the Borg.

’93 SE, the ABS light has been blinking for some time. I attempted to clean it without success. I soaked it several times in various solvents and the light continued to blink. Recently the ABS light went from blinking to constant. I used Epritmon to pull the codes. It’s showing a 36, no pump. I checked the fuses, OK. I pulled the ABS pump enable relay and jumped the pump terminals, it works. So what’s shutting down the pump??? Is there a reset on the ABS controller?? I have read through the ABS section in the manual and can’t find a reference to a reset.

I wanted a Lotus Marques switch but they are currently out of production. A friend turned me on to this switch (PSD25-0P-5800H | Electronic Pressure Switch: 290 to 5800 psi set point range). It looks plug and play. But I need to figure out why the pump is off now.

As always “resistance is futile” and thanks.

·
1995 Esprit S4S
206 Posts
Is this the delco moraine abs system? if so. you need a new pressure switch. The pressure switch controls when the pump turns on and off. BTW you cant get them. they are no longer made and there is no aftermarket replacement.

·
1995 Esprit S4S
206 Posts
Trust me. It is the pressure switch. It is the only piece of crap in that entire system that you can not get and always wears out. Click on the link above. lots of good info in the other forum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Englishcarguy Did you use the switch you linked? if so does it work as a viable replacement. My car is down over this nagging switch I had to place the sale on hold till I get it fixed don't just want to clean the old unit that seems so temporary. On to new ideas, has any one change a S4 back to vac boost?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,101 Posts
On to new ideas, has any one change a S4 back to vac boost?
JAE offered a "kit" at one time, just to do that. Used Esprit V8 components IIRC. Give them a call to see if it is still offered.

One owner I know had his mechanic change to a vacuum operated system on his S4s. The electric vacuum pump was kinda noisy, he said. (Remember, later Delco ABS cars had a power steering pump which was installed in place of the mechanical vacuum pump used on non-power-assisted steering cars)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
db2swift

The guy who recommended this switch is currently using it. I've decided on a more ambitious project. I'm fitting a second switch for the light and a gauge for calibration.

I have the gauge and switches and now waiting for fittings. I plan on a post explaining it all. I wanted the same functionality as the factory.

I'll keep you posted.

sd

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
db2swift

The guy who recommended this switch is currently using it. I've decided on a more ambitious project. I'm fitting a second switch for the light and a gauge for calibration.

I have the gauge and switches and now waiting for fittings. I plan on a post explaining it all. I wanted the same functionality as the factory.

I'll keep you posted.

sd
I forgot where I saw the thread but that is exactly what someone else did. He discovered even though he got the old switch to work by cleaning it, the switch was WAY out of calibration, the pressure was low. Because the switch runs the pump AND the light you either need a special switch or you can use 2 switches. As long as you have to build the manifold it doesn't take much to add a calibration port to adjust the switches and check them if necessary. Lotus was rumored to be working on just such a set-up but stopped because of money problems. Corvettes also have the same problem but they do not seem to be working on a fix. It would be great if someone would document this and maybe do a group buy to reduce the price of the parts. You have to source all of the bits from different venders, no one sells everything you will need in one place.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts