The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was doing some reading on the Elise and most of what I read was Florida + Elise = bad ( in terms of AC ). I dont plan on driving my Elise ( when I get one ) more then 3 hours a day. To work, from work, and maybe some errands. Though I will need to do something about AC it seems. With no AC in Florida I can last about 20 minutes. I have yet to drive an Elise in the heat. My questions:

1) Does the AC even help in Florida heat?
2) Does any model address AC power better?
3) Any mods to help this?
4) Any Florida users out there agree its just not worth driving in the heat?
5) Will using it in Florida just break the AC?

This is speculation from what I have read. Thus far I have concluded its not going to be drivable in Florida heat.

·
Such Administrating
6,860 Posts
I was doing some reading on the Elise and most of what I read was Florida + Elise = bad ( in terms of AC ). I dont plan on driving my Elise ( when I get one ) more then 3 hours a day. To work, from work, and maybe some errands. Though I will need to do something about AC it seems. With no AC in Florida I can last about 20 minutes. I have yet to drive an Elise in the heat. My questions:

This is speculation from what I have read. Thus far I have concluded its not going to be drivable in Florida heat.
All of your questions will be answered by this thread:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313/improved-c-heating-system-71031/

Numerous people drive their lotus in florida, arizona, texas, etc in the hot weather. It got over 105 here this summer and I still drove it. I dd mine though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
All of your questions will be answered by this thread:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313/improved-c-heating-system-71031/

Numerous people drive their lotus in florida, arizona, texas, etc in the hot weather. It got over 105 here this summer and I still drove it. I dd mine though.

I can testify to the usefulness of the mods described. I did the evap coil probe position, the insulation block off of radiator air and insulated the duct work in front of car, and removed the two panels by the feet. Mucho better. Works good in Ga and in trips to Florida. Prior to the modifications, I could only get about 30-45 minutes of effective air conditioning in Florida. Afterwards, hours.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts

2005 Elise and your F!ed. 06 is better. I had an 07 and it worked well for me with no mods. It wasn't super great but there was never a point where I just couldn't be in the car.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx for all the info. I'm targeting an 08-10 or so. Good to know the 07 has some headway on that as well.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Apart from the electronic thermostat, which was installed part way through MY 2007, there is no difference in the effectiveness of the AC, regardless of year. With ALL the mods, last weekend in south Florida, I actually had to turn down the AC because it was blowing so cold.
Michael

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
Keep hot coffee away from your crotch and you'll be fine!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm in Florida and it's fine... mine's stock and it's not going to freeze you... but it's fine. Blows a consistent 76ish in the dead sun.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Apart from the electronic thermostat, which was installed part way through MY 2007, there is no difference in the effectiveness of the AC, regardless of year. With ALL the mods, last weekend in south Florida, I actually had to turn down the AC because it was blowing so cold.
Michael
I have to disagree. I have been in a couple 05s in the heat and it wasn't good. My 07 I had was a big different.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I have an 07 and, while it isn't SubZero fridge-status... it definitely does a more than adequate job...

You can always pick people up and offer them a ride in exchange for them fanning you with a piece of cardboard.

Effective AND economical!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
one thing I always noticed about mine, was that the air coming out of mine was absolutely ice cold....it was just the volume of air that wasn't quite good enough. But in general mine was adequate to keep me cool, and I didn't even have tinted windows. I often had to turn it down because the vent would blow on my hand as it sat on the steering wheel and it would get too cold.

tint+3m crystalline on the windshield will set you 10 steps forward, then with the AC mods you should be just fine.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Encouraging, thx all.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i have 2005 and after electronic thermostat my discharge air temp is 38 degrees. also removed footwell plates for better airflow.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wish I lived in Florida

Life is so much better when the sun is shining, which it does pretty much all the time there

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The sun does have its down falls. See this retired truck driver.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Drove my stock 05 through the Mojave in Sept and the ac could not keep up after 45 min. The owners manual says that cooling is diverted from the ac when the engine needs more cooling. Haven't considered any mods as I live in Colorado.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts