The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the car from Lotus of Atlanta a.k.a. Motorcars of Georgia (The Bimmerstore) in Atlanta on January 7th 2005.

When I purchased it I also bought an extended warranty. I now have a problem where the fan blower does not work except on random occasions. Researching this problem it looks like the resistor pack issue. My car is now out of its original warranty so I dug out the extended one I bought with the car. The warranty says it is issued by “Ultimate Warranty corp”. The first thing they tell me when I call is that my car is not a valid type to be warranted. The next thing they say is that the company is in receivership which I am still researching to figure out what that means. But she told me that basically I would not get any claim money nor refund till if or when it is resolved. Also since my car is not covered I would only be able to get a refund which is a lower priority than any pending claims.

My next step is to contact the dealership where I bought the car from to see what assistance they can offer regarding the warranty. I will also need to contact the local dealer here in Tampa and see if Lotus will cover or assist in the repair.

I am looking for advice or pointers from anyone with similar experience or insight as to what I can do and if I am on the right track here. What say you?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Based on my experience as a mechanic (in the past), I can say those warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Sorry to here of both your AC Blower and warranty problems. Anytime the blower does not work, the resistor pack is suspect, but always check fuse C1 too.
Those aftermarket extended warranties are very risky as you found out. I had the same thing happen to me many years ago when I made a claim, they had gone out of business. I think this is their object in the first place, to take people's money and then go under. Never will I buy one of those again.
Cheers,
Michael
I bought the car from Lotus of Atlanta a.k.a. Motorcars of Georgia (The Bimmerstore) in Atlanta on January 7th 2005.

When I purchased it I also bought an extended warranty. I now have a problem where the fan blower does not work except on random occasions. Researching this problem it looks like the resistor pack issue. My car is now out of its original warranty so I dug out the extended one I bought with the car. The warranty says it is issued by “Ultimate Warranty corp”. The first thing they tell me when I call is that my car is not a valid type to be warranted. The next thing they say is that the company is in receivership which I am still researching to figure out what that means. But she told me that basically I would not get any claim money nor refund till if or when it is resolved. Also since my car is not covered I would only be able to get a refund which is a lower priority than any pending claims.

My next step is to contact the dealership where I bought the car from to see what assistance they can offer regarding the warranty. I will also need to contact the local dealer here in Tampa and see if Lotus will cover or assist in the repair.

I am looking for advice or pointers from anyone with similar experience or insight as to what I can do and if I am on the right track here. What say you?

·
Registered
403 Posts
i have an ac control module i bought but didn't need from the dealer was like 60 to 80 bucks or something...looks like 2 relays in a box really. u need it $20, pm me

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
The AC / Fan Relay Module controls the compressor and the 2 cooling fans and has nothing to do with the blower motor ;).
Michael
i have an ac control module i bought but didn't need from the dealer was like 60 to 80 bucks or something...looks like 2 relays in a box really. u need it $20, pm me

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the offer but it looks like that's a seperate controller. The stock resistor pack is like $75 and the new redesigned one is $150.

Lotus of Atlanta said they couldn't do anything for me as far as the warranty. Brian in the service area said he would give me the warranty labor rate plus meet me with 50% of the cost. So that puts me at around $600 for the work. Another $100 in gas and a couple nights in the hotel plus 2-3 days makes that hard though.

What I have decided to do is just do the work myself so I will get the part from Brian and dig into it next week. Good time to run a dedicated power to the front and get the HID's installed. Probably purchase some driving lights and possibly a horn and do it all at once as well. Any other mods that would be worth it while the front is off?

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you purchased the extended warranty from the Bimmerstore, I would just start by talking with them.
+1. They made money on selling the warranty, see if the can spot you this repair in good faith.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
If you can get something in writing from the warrantee company that says that they specifically would not warrantee a Lotus, then depending how ugly you want to get, the dealership perpetrated fraud and should refund the whole deal, and fix your car, you can take this to a state agency.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts