The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thanks for your time and I hope you're all staying safe out there!

I've been in the market for a while now for an Elise. This site has been a HUGE help with answering the boat load of questions that I've had to help me make decisions on my purchase.

I've got a question that I can't seem to find the right answer for. I've read and heard from owners of s2's that the ac quality isn't that great. If its 100 degrees outside, and the ac is blowing full blast, it maybe 80 in the cabin.. with the hardtop on. I have not had the opportunity to speak with any s3 owners to understand if this is a problem that was solved in the newer models or if its just something you have to deal with when owning an Elise.

Sorry if this post has been made in the past. I've done a few searches but haven't found a post on this. Plenty of AC issues and mods to speak of.

Thanks for your time and help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have not driven an S3, that being said the design didn't change much from S2 through S3 at least in the US (UK got a different engine, I think) so I wouldn't expect that much of a gain in the AC department. I think it's something you might have to deal with although I think some people in the Exige forum improved on the AC through maintenance/mods mostly but it's been a while since I've read it. For me it was never that big of a deal because I only drive it when the weather is nice.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
The majority of the issues with the AC system are poor attention to detail and cheap detailing. h

I doubt that was fixed in the S3

I did a bunch of work on mine and works acceptably well into the mid 90's, with essentially stock components

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not driven an S3, that being said the design didn't change much from S2 through S3 at least in the US (UK got a different engine, I think) so I wouldn't expect that much of a gain in the AC department. I think it's something you might have to deal with although I think some people in the Exige forum improved on the AC through maintenance/mods mostly but it's been a while since I've read it. For me it was never that big of a deal because I only drive it when the weather is nice.
Thanks Jamari!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The majority of the issues with the AC system are poor attention to detail and cheap detailing. h

I doubt that was fixed in the S3

I did a bunch of work on mine and works acceptably well into the mid 90's, with essentially stock components
Thanks exigegus!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The AC on my 2018 S3 250 CUP is very good but I don't know about the S2 or if it is the same. The car's cabin is very small compared to a normal car and the AC manages to decrease the temperature and humidity (which are extreme here) quickly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The AC on my 2018 S3 250 CUP is very good but I don't know about the S2 or if it is the same. The car's cabin is very small compared to a normal car and the AC manages to decrease the temperature and humidity (which are extreme here) quickly.
Thanks Ray71! I'm hopeful that I find an S3 that I can afford. I recently found one and the dealer wouldn't come down on the price so I had to reconsider.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
One thing that I really worked on with the AC was airflow. The stock system can get cold air coming out of the vents, but not enough of it. The more air that flows, the more the AC system can work. The box that switches the air from the defrost/face/floor seems to be a big area of loss, just plugging the hose onto a spare one I bought during testing reduced flow a ton. Then the lines in the airbag cars are really badly formed. All this matters because the condenser is temperature limited, so if airflow is low, it just shuts off and is not delivering the amount of cooling that would be available with more airflow

Anyway techno geek stuff...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
S
One thing that I really worked on with the AC was airflow. The stock system can get cold air coming out of the vents, but not enough of it. The more air that flows, the more the AC system can work. The box that switches the air from the defrost/face/floor seems to be a big area of loss, just plugging the hose onto a spare one I bought during testing reduced flow a ton. Then the lines in the airbag cars are really badly formed. All this matters because the condenser is temperature limited, so if airflow is low, it just shuts off and is not delivering the amount of cooling that would be available with more airflow

Anyway techno geek stuff...
Shoot... as soon as I find the Elise I want, I will facetime you and you walk me through that!!!!

I will owe you beers.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a 2005 Elise. Best thing you can do for driving in hot temperatures is to upgrade the radiator, and when you do, wrap some insulation around the big air duct hose under it...which is amazingly good at allowing colder air into the car. If I am in heavy traffic on 95 degree humid day car doesnt overheat and cabin in nice and cold...if Im moving over 35mph I actually have to turn it off eventually as it gets to cold.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 2005 Elise. Best thing you can do for driving in hot temperatures is to upgrade the radiator, and when you do, wrap some insulation around the big air duct hose under it...which is amazingly good at allowing colder air into the car. If I am in heavy traffic on 95 degree humid day car doesnt overheat and cabin in nice and cold...if Im moving over 35mph I actually have to turn it off eventually as it gets to cold.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
That's awesome! I'll def consider that. I appreciate it! From what I've gathered and researched is this is a design issue that can be solved by modifying a few things. I live in Atlanta. It gets SCALDING hot in traffic and humidity is high. My current fun car is a restored 2000 Miata NB and the air quality on that vehicle is awesome. IT CAN BE DONE!

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I live in hot Miami Florida and I could care less about having ac on my Elise. These cars are like gokarts. They are raw, noisy, etc. I love to drive mine with the windows down so I can hear the SC and exhaust. I'm thinking about removing the ac from mine.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
341 Posts
I would start by suggesting you change the heading of this thread. At no time should the words AC and quality go together when describing our cars :) 05 Elise here and other than making sure there is a good freon charge, its barely adequate. When I need to take the front clam off for some reason (radiator perhaps), I'll look into airflow leaks....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts