The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! When I turn on the ac in the evora a really foul smell blows through

It lasts a few minutes
Then air smells normal but foul crappy smell comes back during a drive a few min later

What can this be? The car is new only 2000 miles

S

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Does it smell like a dead animal? I have a couple of friends whose cars have had a foul smell from mice getting into the vent system, then dying.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
65 Posts
I thought that for sure I was the only Lotus owner that this had happened to!!! About a year ago I had a horrible foul smell in my A/C. Then I went around a hard corner and I could hear something interrupting and rubbing the blower fan blades. After that, bits of grayish white fur started coming out of the A/C vents in the car. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out a mouse had somehow gotten into the area of my a/c fan and got smacked by the fan blades. It was summer time and the first couple days the smell was like horrible road kill. But then, I guess it was so hot the thing dried up and the smell went away within a week. I never figured out how in the world the thing could have gotten in there in the first place.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Brought this up a long, long time ago. Not a dead mouse lol. that's a good one though. I'm pretty sure that was a one-off deal rotfl

It's moisture build up in the cabin filter.. enjoy breathing your mildew spores...

But don't you worry, the nasty moldy smell will go away after about 3-6 months of dry weather. Or you could just replace it :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Squidward - it must not be the rarest thing in the world if it happened to two of LotusCC's friend's cars. I'll tell ya though - that smell was no fun.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Brought this up a long, long time ago. Not a dead mouse lol. that's a good one though. I'm pretty sure that was a one-off deal rotfl

It's moisture build up in the cabin filter.. enjoy breathing your mildew spores...

But don't you worry, the nasty moldy smell will go away after about 3-6 months of dry weather. Or you could just replace it :)
Ray Magliozzi says to use "Frigi-Fresh" spray.

To prevent this in humid weather run the last several miles with the blower on high and the AC off to dry off the evaporator.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Squidward - it must not be the rarest thing in the world if it happened to two of LotusCC's friend's cars. I'll tell ya though - that smell was no fun.
One car is a Boxster and the other is an RX-8. I can vouch for the smell, it is horrid. I had asked my friend what kind of air freshener he was using, because it smelled like a dead animal. Lol. That's when he told me he had removed a dead mouse from the vent system, but the smell was lingering.
The RX-8 had been stored outside in a not so closed enclosure for the winter. He also found fur flying out of one of his vents on the high setting. That funk can still be smelled a year later as he has not removed the trespasser a year later.
Good to hear it's just a filter in this case:)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
The RX-8 had been stored outside in a not so closed enclosure for the winter. He also found fur flying out of one of his vents on the high setting. That funk can still be smelled a year later as he has not removed the trespasser a year later.
Good to hear it's just a filter in this case:)
Now that you mention this particular scenario, indeed that would be more common than being than driving along with a mouse getting sucked into the fan blades and killed, fouling up the car. In fact, something similar happened on my own RX-8 as well. My car had parked for a month in the parking garage at my old workplace and a mouse had made a nest right on top of the air filter behind the right AC vent. I was replacing the filter and found all of the fibers that were torn away from my engine bay liner. No mouse, but a big ol' comfy nest. There was also rodent droppings underneath the car's air filter box which I hosed out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts