The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading the threads but can't tell if what I'm seeing is "normal" operation.

I've had my 06 since December '11. I had the A/C recharged about a month ago, and it's been blowing awesome cold air on very hot days.

Today I had the car out and it was probably 90 or so with no humidity. The AC would go from freezing cold, to chilly, to slightly above ambient, then back to freezing.

I've been reading about the AC temperature probe and upgrading to the electric part, but I also see that most people say the volume of air also significantly decreases when icing occurs. I'm not getting a lack of flow, just temperature.

What could it be? Do I have a leak and i'm slowly just running out of R134 again? I recall when I bought the car that it blew cold air, so I'm pretty sure I have a leak since it needed a charge when it finally got hot out here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I've been reading the threads but can't tell if what I'm seeing is "normal" operation.

I've had my 06 since December '11. I had the A/C recharged about a month ago, and it's been blowing awesome cold air on very hot days.

Today I had the car out and it was probably 90 or so with no humidity. The AC would go from freezing cold, to chilly, to slightly above ambient, then back to freezing.

I've been reading about the AC temperature probe and upgrading to the electric part, but I also see that most people say the volume of air also significantly decreases when icing occurs. I'm not getting a lack of flow, just temperature.

What could it be? Do I have a leak and i'm slowly just running out of R134 again? I recall when I bought the car that it blew cold air, so I'm pretty sure I have a leak since it needed a charge when it finally got hot out here.

Thanks!
You have the typical symptoms of the evaporator coil freezing. Replacing the evaporator thermostat with the electronic one rectifies the problem. See here http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313/improved-c-heating-system-71031/
Michael

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will do that then. I assumed that the loss of actual air flow was required for it to be a freezing issue. I'll order the parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts