The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve never been comfortable with the mechanical
Oil pressure gauge in my 87 Turbo Esprit. A Facebook Esprit S3 owner had his line blow out, starting a fire that fortunately blown out by a Blazecut fire suppression device.

I want to install an electrical version of my Smiths mechanics oil pressure gauge. But I can’t tell if there will be clearance to the sending unit.

Has anyone accessed their oil line connection? This diagram indicates it’s under the intake manifold? Do I have to remove intake to install this bulky sender?

#17 is the oil tap into the engine; looks to be under the intake manifold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,901 Posts
You can explore access from underneath. Might need to remove the starter first. It IS difficult to even SEE from above, between the starter and manifold

The Stevens O.P. sender is above (the bigger 'can' at the top right of the pic). The oil temp switch is at the lower left (the brass component with 'Y19' stamp).

As you can see, the sender is hiding under the distributor cap.o_O

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
67 Posts
My engine's out right now so here's a more clear photo.
There is about 5" of vertical clearance between the outlet and the intake manifold. It's pretty close to the distributor, maybe an inch away.
It looks like the starter sits pretty closely on the other side too.
Don't let this image fool you, it's not easy to access in the car.

·
Registered
1993 Red Lotus Esprit SE
21 Posts
I believe the gray one with the two black leads is the oil pressure sender. The smaller one with Y19 looks more like a temperature switch.

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great pictures! It looks like the sender will fit ala Stevens style. But getting my fat hands in there may be the issue.

Going to run a video camera feed to verify the Giugiaro Esprit doesn’t have an unexpected obstacle.

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[snip]The oil temp switch is at the lower left (the brass component with 'Y19' stamp). [snip]cap.o_O
I don’t recall my late 88 having a oil TEMPERATURE gauge ( nor on my 87). Is the oil temperature sender feeding something on the Bosch module for CiS operation ?

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
67 Posts
I don’t recall my late 88 having a oil TEMPERATURE gauge ( nor on my 87). Is the oil temperature sender feeding something on the Bosch module for CiS operation ?

That's what I'm guessing, I have an 87 too and I've got it. I imagine it's part of the closed loop stuff for the frequency valve or bypass valve.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,901 Posts
The oil temp signal switches over at 75C. That is when your engine comes off of 'cold/fast idle'. :p

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
I have not been impressed by many electric oil pressure gauges. Perhaps a length of ss braided teflon hose for at least the engine bay section would ease your fire concerns. It' swhat I ran in my +2 when I went to a mechanical gauge to replace the '10 second delay' Smiths gauge

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,901 Posts
My 93 Stevens has oil temp, oil pressure, and water temp gauges.
...BUT it doesn't have an ammeter or voltage gauge! o_O Britsh cars NEED a method to monitor 'boltage'!:p

·
Registered
58 Posts
Will you need to also fit a new guage?

It also worries me to have that small line sending oil all the way into the passenger cabin. However, I like the original Smith guage.

Any more info?

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will you need to also fit a new guage?

It also worries me to have that small line sending oil all the way into the passenger cabin. However, I like the original Smith guage.

Any more info?
Yes they have the classic gauges in electrical form factor. I bought the set and mechanic to install the sending unit while I get to run the wire to the new gauge in the dashboard.

Now that I’ve gotten notice my job is going away ( aka ‘lay off’), looks like I may have more time for doing stuff on the Esprit. 2020. What a year. And it isn’t even over yet...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes they have the classic gauges in electrical form factor. I bought the set and mechanic to install the sending unit while I get to run the wire to the new gauge in the dashboard.

Now that I’ve gotten notice my job is going away ( aka ‘lay off’), looks like I may have more time for doing stuff on the Esprit. 2020. What a year. And it isn’t even over yet...

So sorry about the job.

When you have time, can you post pics of the gauge and sending unit or more info?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts