• Repairable Unsure of Cost

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a lady cut me off in trailblazer and mashed the brakes as she didn't take note of the green light prior to cutting me off...

She was in a trailblazer with a BIG trailer hitch, trailer hitch was a direct hit to the radiator (point of all contact)

What do ya'll think, totaled or repairable

Damage, the good, the bad, and the ugly...

Box is cracked behind grill and in NUMEROUS places under bonnet
Radiator is trashed
Two composite ?structural? composite beams which come from underneath the windscreen are out of shape, misaligned
Clam has broken loose from all screws including under windscreen
Headlight plastic is trashed
Door rubs clam
Windscreen is cracked

Aluminum Tray underneath is fine
Car tracks straight(when coasting downhill, suspension and alignment seem ok)

Attachments

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Well, you're gonna need a new clam obviously. That alone should be at least $8k. It was closer to $10k for me. Then, would ya believe it? The clam doesn't come with any of the other broken junk such as the grilles. You said the radiator was hit, so you probably need a new one. How are the headlights?

Now you just need to get the repair shop to check to see if the CF crash structure was damaged. The clam needs to be removed. Shouldn't be too hard if you just take a few more whacks at it with a hammer :) JK

If I had to give my undesirable, uneducated and uninformed guess, I'd say it might live this one through, but that's because the information is scarce right now.

·
Registered
199 Posts
you are so almost totaled. I had truck backup and its hitch broke through the front. It damaged the radiator/crashstructure, clam and was over $16,000. Yours looks like a bigger mess than that.

Stick a fork in it, its done.

David

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Pics are pretty rough, but you look like you're well on your way to a total. I know first hand that a clam replacement without damage to any other items is in the $5K-5500 range. The crash structure is a few grand and the windshield is about a grand - but a decent chunk of that is labor. Hey, you could get one of the cool, lightweight Sector111 radiators! :) Don't know what they run stock. Can't see much else and a frame of reference on the car. Better photos are in order, then we might be able to provide better answers.

One question: Was your tow hook in at the time of the accident or was that due to a flatbed being called?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Looks pretty over the top of the clam damage. If the chassis is fine then it can probably be fixed. That's basically the big question. Everything else is bolt-on, parts + labor & paint.

Stay far away from tow hitches!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tell me about it, these trailer hitches are dangerous....poor thing is out of commission for a while, thinking about a month if it is repairable..

nice thing about the car the structure is all either give or take, there isn't any in between, no repair work what so ever. replacement parts, plug and play, no straightening, no metal bending, no putty, etc..

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
We should do a group buy on a stainless steel cage that wraps around the front of the Elise and is welded to...the roll hoop or something. so if someone drives like a dummy, their car gets owned and we just buy another cage :p
group buy on a lotus bullbar:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
total it and get you a new one. You will be more happier that way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts