The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled this discussion from the original thread, with respect to the victim and family. Most Lotus drivers are very careful and know the consequences of an even small driving mistake.

After one of our Forum members was involved in a fatal accident, many of us would like to understand the circumstances, or causes of the crash. We can learn from mistakes, or try to avoid this in this case.

I'm not a crash expert, but I think the Escalade turned left directly in front of the Lotus, causing the crash. In this case, speed is not a factor. If the Lotus was traveling at a safe speed (which I would assume), the accident would still be the same.

The comments with this article I've enclosed below here makes me feel extremely upset with the human race. As mentioned before, these comments are absolutely AWFUL! Speed kills? Come on. I'm disgusted with "fellow" humans. Read and see what I mean.

Fort Salonga man killed in sports car crash ID 'd - Topix

--Hal

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
My sister lives very close to the accident site... she sent me the link to that board a few days after the accident. For the most part, it's just a bunch of people spouting off about things they know nothing about... I didn't think at the time it was worthy of mention here, especially so soon after the accident.

I suppose that since some time has passed, it's instructive to read the comments and see how many people view Lotus owners and sports car enthusiasts in general. I don't know whether any conclusive investigation has been published, but it's pretty clear that many people will consider you guilty of something for just owning a sports car.

Something to keep in mind...

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's pretty clear that many people will consider you guilty of something for just owning a sports car.

I had the same thought too. The last few years, sports cars have become more popular and affordable, and they have good mpg. I thought that would change the public's ideas of sports cars. I guess I'm wrong. With the comments about the article, the public is still living in the dark ages!:sad:

--Hal

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I had the same thought too. The last few years, sports cars have become more popular and affordable, and they have good mpg. I thought that would change the public's ideas of sports cars. I guess I'm wrong. With the comments about the article, the public is still living in the dark ages!:sad:

--Hal
You may just have unrealistic expectations about people on an internet forum.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
You may just have unrealistic expectations about people.
edited.
:)

The more I am around people, the more I like fishtanks.

Positive is I have learned to value the good people even more.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Interesting "Time" article on web comments:

Post Apocalypse - TIME

The horribleness of commenters isn't really a mystery: Internet anonymity is disinhibiting, and people are basically mean anyway. Nor is it a mystery why the people who run websites put up with commenters: the economic model for Internet content is based on advertising, which means it's based on traffic volume, and comments mean traffic. They're part of the things that make online publishing work.

So now we can read what stupid, uninformed people think about just about anything - because it "makes online publishing work".

sigh....

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
edited.
:)

The more I am around people, the more I like fishtanks.

Positive is I have learned to value the good people even more.
Point taken; still, internet forums seem to distill out the merd de la merd. :shrug:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'm not a crash expert, but I think the Escalade turned left directly in front of the Lotus, causing the crash. In this case, speed is not a factor. If the Lotus was traveling at a safe speed (which I would assume), the accident would still be the same.
I find it interesting that everyone assumes that the Lotus was doing 100 MPH - nowhere in the article does it indicate the actual speed, just an off hand comment from a police officer - and that doesn't even "prove" that the car was exceeding the speed limit.

The the rest of the comments show how cruel and ignorant the average person can be.

But it is typical that if a sports car is in a wreck, it's automatically assumed to be the "at fault" vehicle.

I experienced this with my Elan. I had just been cutoff, and skidded almost to a stop. Then I started rolling again, and had reached about 30 MPH in a 45 zone when a guy from a side street pulled out in front of me from a stop sign. The cop that arrived to take the report tried very, very hard to get me to "admit" that I was speeding (when in fact I was doing 15 under the speed limit). Obviously the guy in the little red sports car was guilty, not the idiot in the conversion van. :rolleyes:

Then the cop didn't even bother to show up at court (any wreck requires a court appearance here in Virginia).

·
Registered
852 Posts
The most interesting comments were from someone named Andra:

"I was there and saw the whole thing with my friend. We were standing on the red on Rt110 when he passed us. I am amazed how many people showed up by the time I finished talking to 911. In the end they all claimed they saw it, but me and my friend know that we were the only one there!!! The Lotus ran a red light that was red for at least 3 seconds. Cadilac was just pulling out from Melville Rd. crossing Rt110 when the Lotus smashed it into him. It was a nightmare right infront of our eyes...PEOPLE...PLEASE DRIVE SAFER AND PLEASE USE INDICATORS WHEN TURNING!!!!!"

"The Lotus ran a red light!!!!!!!!!!
Cadilac was waiting for his green on Melville Rd. He started to pull out slowly but Lotus slammed in into him. I was in the right lane and Lotus passed us on the left...in middle lane...It was definitely his fault."

EDIT:

and another poster writes:

"Your account does not jibe with either the pictures, OR the newsday report - yet we are all so willing to just immediately and blindly - completely believe the MEDIA report, and accept it as fact. Notice that the impact damage on the Escalade appears to be on it's right/passenger side?- That indicates that the SUV was turning left FROM 110 - ONTO Melville. This is also what the media story reports, so seems in that respect at least, to be consistent. Which is it?

Was the Escalade turning left OFF of Melville ONTO 110, or was the Escalade already ON 110, and turning left OFF of it, onto Melville, and crossing in front of the Lotus - going straight REGARDLESS on 110?

Also - for those of you who think the pictured damage to the Lotus is "evidence" absolute that the guy was FLYING are egregiously wrong. That Escalade's structure is a good 18-20" higher than the (only 7" off the road TOTAL) front "bumper" of that Lotus. Meaning that upon ANY appreciable impact - that Lotus is going to decintegrate, period.

Speeding? Speed limit on that stretch is 55. Even going just 55-60, and hitting where it APPEARS (in the photograph) that Lotus hit the Escalade (on it's RIGHT front bumper side), trust me - that car will disintegrate just as you see there!

Just saying is all.
Andra - whoever you are, your post is suspect."

It's a mess in any event...

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The most interesting comments were from someone named Andra:

"I was there and saw the whole thing with my friend. We were standing on the red on Rt110 when he passed us. I am amazed how many people showed up by the time I finished talking to 911. In the end they all claimed they saw it, but me and my friend know that we were the only one there!!! The Lotus ran a red light that was red for at least 3 seconds. Cadilac was just pulling out from Melville Rd. crossing Rt110 when the Lotus smashed it into him. It was a nightmare right infront of our eyes...PEOPLE...PLEASE DRIVE SAFER AND PLEASE USE INDICATORS WHEN TURNING!!!!!"

"The Lotus ran a red light!!!!!!!!!!
Cadilac was waiting for his green on Melville Rd. He started to pull out slowly but Lotus slammed in into him. I was in the right lane and Lotus passed us on the left...in middle lane...It was definitely his fault."
Yes, but it's been pointed out that her "eyewitness" account is inconsistent with both the reported official version and the photographs...

EDIT: I see you've found that post too...

·
Registered
566 Posts
but it's pretty clear that many people will consider you guilty of something for just owning a sports car.

Actually, most of the people I showed the article to assumed the Escalade driver was guilty, since a lot of people here with big SUVs can't drive worth a lick.

There should be another license required for driving BIG SUVs. I have a coworker with a Chevy Tahoe that nearly runs people over or almost hits other parked cars while he's backing out, even though his car is equipped with a rear cam.

·
Registered
291 Posts
All I see is a bunch of ignorance and pointing fingers at people who drive a different kind of vehicle. Saying "people with SUVs cant drive" is no different than saying "He was probably speeding."

What I based my opinion on was the fact that the SUV FLIPPED OVER.

A <2000lb car that low to the ground has to be going faster than 60 mph to flip over a nearly 6000lb Escalade. That's my opinion. I could be wrong. I'm not going to start calling people names about it. Jeff also could have been doing nothing wrong and it could have simply been the other drivers fault.

I think what's important is that those of us who drive these fragile vehicles are cognizant of the fact that we have to be extremely careful in an uncontrolled environment such as the public streets.

·
Registered
55 Posts
All I see is a bunch of ignorance and pointing fingers at people who drive a different kind of vehicle. Saying "people with SUVs cant drive" is no different than saying "He was probably speeding."

What I based my opinion on was the fact that the SUV FLIPPED OVER.

A <2000lb car that low to the ground has to be going faster than 60 mph to flip over a nearly 6000lb Escalade. That's my opinion. I could be wrong. I'm not going to start calling people names about it. Jeff also could have been doing nothing wrong and it could have simply been the other drivers fault.

I think what's important is that those of us who drive these fragile vehicles are cognizant of the fact that we have to be extremely careful in an uncontrolled environment such as the public streets.
What you're failing to take into account is the height difference in the two vehicles. It's also one of the reasons why the Lotus absolutely disintegrated. Basically the escalade is so tall and that the lotus was like a wedge going under the escalade, getting destroyed in the process and flipping the suv. You can even see how low the hit was on the escalade.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts