The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the shop install the MWR accusump kit along with a new motor after having spun rod bearings. Now after getting the car back, I am having a hot idle issue (as in the car won't idle at all) whenever the accusump is enabled. Cold idle is not an issue, and hot idle is fine when accusump is disabled.

I'm aware that they've tapped the accusump power source to the fuel pump relay. Could it be that since the accusump pressure is released on idle once the car has warmed up...it's causing a fuel issue from the voltage draw on the fuel pump relay?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
The air charge in the Accusump should only be about 6psi, so it should not discharge oil if you have any oil pressure at all. That's its function after all.

Still, the circuit they have wired may be the problem, it is not the standard method. Have you tried disconnecting the Accusump valve solenoid? If you do, and the idle improves, you have found your problem.

Canton recommends getting the +12V from an accessory bus or accessory terminal of the ignition switch. (Switched, not hot, power.) That may be why your shop decided to use the fuel pump relay, but there are other easily available sources. Here are the instructions from Canton:
Canton Racing Products - Accusump Tech

If you have the pressure switch setup, see "How to Install Your EPC Valve." If not, see "How to Install Your Electric Valve." Both are very simple.

Good luck with it. One issue you may run into down the road is a failure of the Electric Pressure Control (EPC) switch. It is extremely prone to failure; there are a few threads about it. Some users have replaced the switch multiple times, with every switch failing in short order. I addressed this by simply removing the switch entirely and wiring the valve as in "How to Install Your Electric Valve." I just have to remember to flip the toggle switch Off before I shut down. If I forget, the unit will discharge its oil into the pan the next time I turn the key on. Not a big deal.

Also, you might consider one of the baffled racing pans for further protection against oil pressure loss. The belt-and-braces approach. That's what I do, having also spun a bearing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts