The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that we have our cars, has anyone gotten an Accusump system? I have heard it is a wise thing to do in this car when using it a lot on the track.
 

·
Forum Mop
Joined
·
612 Posts
offroadr35 said:
So now that we have our cars, has anyone gotten an Accusump system? I have heard it is a wise thing to do in this car when using it a lot on the track.
i'll be in "wussy mode" on the roadcourse until i get an accusump in mine. i trust that motor about as far as i can throw it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,941 Posts
Also note that Lotus suggests the use of Castrol 10W60 on the track. BMW dealers carry this grade for the M3/M5 models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,925 Posts
Accusump is a good idea. I believe there are baffles in your oil pan (unlike the 1ZZ engine) so this should help prevent oil starvation. Still, with a car that pulls more Gs than anything else the 2ZZ has been in and the cost of repair, I'd do it. -- Just my two cents.

Edit: Accusump is also good for startup lubrication!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
I put together a bill-of-materials for an Accusump system a few months ago ... Here is the list:


Canton Racing / Accusump
http://www.accusump.com/

--------- Accusump Unit

3 qt. High Pressure Accusump
1x 24-016 187.50

Electric Pressure Control Valve
1x 24-275 148.50

Stainless Steel Mounting Brackets
1x 24-200 17.50

Steel N.P.T. to AN Fittings
3x 23-245 4.50

Straight Hose Ends for Steel Braided Hose
3x 223-625 9.75

45 Degree Hose Ends for Steel Braided Hose
1x 23-645 19.25

Stainless steel braided racing hose
10x 23-605 7.50 (Foot)


British American Transfer / Mocal
http://www.batinc.net/

--------- Accusump Fittings

AN Female Tee Fitting
1x 938-10

AN Male Union
1x 815-10

Low Restriction Check Valve
1x 610-10


Please confirm the oil pressure requirements.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
Beanie said:
I believe there are baffles in your oil pan (unlike the 1ZZ engine) so this should help prevent oil starvation. Still, with a car that pulls more Gs than anything else the 2ZZ has been in and the cost of repair, I'd do it. -- Just my two cents.
Paraphrased from Toyota Engineering white papers:

The stock Toyota 2ZZ-GE oil pan has no baffle. According to Toyota this quickens the return of oil into the oil pan. Air suction was minimized by optimally positioning the suction pipe inlet. The 2ZZ-GE can withstand 1.0G without sucking air.
 

·
insert clever title here
Joined
·
7,702 Posts
What about warranty concerns? If we suffer an oil starvation problem, I'd expect that to be covered by our warranty. If we add an accusump, and then experience *any* kind of oil-related problem, our warranty may be voided. Sorry, not trying to hurt Accusump sales here, just pointing out another way of looking at this...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,925 Posts
aletes said:
Paraphrased from Toyota Engineering white papers:

The stock Toyota 2ZZ-GE oil pan has no baffle. According to Toyota this quickens the return of oil into the oil pan. Air suction was minimized by optimally positioning the suction pipe inlet. The 2ZZ-GE can withstand 1.0G without sucking air.
I could have sworn I saw an actual picture of baffles in a 2ZZ oilpan.... will search.

EDIT:
You are right. My memory sometimes does that to me.

http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5181

Sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
I plan on using the Accusump in combination with an air to water oil cooler.

Mocal / Laminova
http://www.batinc.net/

-------- Oil-to-Water Heat Exhanger

Laminova Oil to Water Heat Exchanger
1x A43-330

Sandwich Plate Adapter
1x SP1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Just an idea :

Perhaps the Accusump and the Laminova oil cooler can be combined in one compact unit.

From Laminova you can get cores in various lengths and diameters
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,633 Posts
Stan said:
Also note that Lotus suggests the use of Castrol 10W60 on the track. BMW dealers carry this grade for the M3/M5 models.
Is that to say a complete oil change is necessary for a single track day, or repeated track use, Stan?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,374 Posts
aletes said:
I plan on using the Accusump in combination with an air to water oil cooler.
Although an Accusump could be a good idea, why change the oil coolers? The Elise already has oil coolers...:confused:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,941 Posts
Possible accusump aid...our cars come with a bleeder near where the oil filter lives. See PIC below. If this is on the motor side of the thermostat, after the filtered oil ideally then this would be a nice spot to plumb into. There may be others, or the plate could be drilled and tapped to suit.

(You can also see that there is room for a larger diameter / length oil filter if that was desired....You can also plumb an accusump right into a Canton Mecca oil filter if you change the end plate)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,374 Posts
Why would you need to tap into the "bleeder"? I would think just putting a "T" into the oil cooler return line would be an ideal place to plumb in an Accusump.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,941 Posts
>>>Why would you need to tap into the "bleeder"? I would think just putting a "T" into the oil cooler return line would be an ideal place to plumb in an Accusump.<<<

It's not a need, it's just another option. There are many ways to hook these things up. They suggest doing it on the far side of an oil filter with an antidrainback valve. That way most of the oil goes into the motor and not potentially backwards through the oil filter and oil pump. I'm not sure where the various fittings are located along the oil path. I have seen accusumps plumbed into the line leading toward a remote oil filter. That is between the oil pump and the oil filter. In that instance when pressure drops, a good portion of the benefit of the accusump will be wasted as some of the oil goes in the wrong direction. Potentially there could be other issues too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
TimMullen said:
Although an Accusump could be a good idea, why change the oil coolers? The Elise already has oil coolers...:confused:
I would like to use the oil radiator location for a pair of air-to-water intercooler radiators.

The only reason I mentioned the oil radiator and sandwich plate adapter is because the oil thermostat (in the sandwich plate adapter) needs to be taken into consideration when installing an Accusump. If the Accusump is installed on the oil return line, it may discharge fine, but I don't think it will charge as long the thermostat is closed. It may be necessary to install a sandwich plate adapter that doesn't have a thermostat and use an extermal thermostat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,834 Posts
Stan said:
Also note that Lotus suggests the use of Castrol 10W60 on the track. BMW dealers carry this grade for the M3/M5 models.
Lotus specifies Castrol RS 10W-60, which is not available at BMW dealers.

I posted more info in the "official track oil" thread
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,941 Posts
>>>Lotus specifies Castrol RS 10W-60, which is not available at BMW dealers. I posted more info in the "official track oil" thread<<<

There are some differences of opinion on that oil amongst BMW enthusiasts. Some say the two versions are...the same... and it's just a marketing thing. Some say that one superceded the other. And others say that they are completely different.

Of the three oils Lotus has suggested, only one is easy to find. The Mobil 1 15W50 is easy to find at many auto parts stores. Some dealers are not even using the 5W-40 Texaco street oil.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,941 Posts
>>Lotus specifies Castrol RS 10W-60, which is not available at BMW dealers. <<

So...where is the concern? Same oil, two different names per BMW. For me, if I want it I'll get it from BMW where it is stocked. I'm not going to order the same oil with a different name from someone in Europe.

Reminds me of that segment in Pulp Fiction. Over in Paris they call a quarter pounder with cheese a Royale With Cheese. No need to go to France if you want a 1/4 pounder though.
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top