The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clutch bite from a stop on this setup is extremely intense, I would say embarrassing. Is this indicative of a problem? Do I just need to practice, is this just a break in period with this setup? What is your experience?

However, assuming chatter (shaking) is separate from bite, I don't find there to be that much chatter.

Coming from stock clutch the bite, but not so bad once the car is going. Pretty fun when the car is rolling, but I'm not sure I will be able to keep it as is from a stop since I like to daily it.

Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
It just takes a little practice. I never had a problem learning it but my wife usually had issues. It is just a matter of getting use to it.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah mine chatters/shakes as you are letting the clutch out. No flywheel chatter when it idles though.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
287 Posts
Its normal. Its extremely embarrassing for the first few days but does get better. I used an ACT like that one of my vehicles and I must have stalled it 30 times on the way home from putting it in. I even pulled through a spot at my local car show because I didnt want to stall it out 3 times backing it in. But it does get better.

Reactions: DAaaMan64

·
Administrator
2,074 Posts
Mine stunk when I first bought the car but didn't have shuddering. First tech inspection failed on BF so I flushed with RBF600 and the smell went away and brake feel was much better. Have you had you BF tested? Mine was dark and of course the new fluid was much lighter in color. Wouldn't hurt to check it.

·
Administrator
2,074 Posts
Mine stunk when I first bought the car but didn't have shuddering. First tech inspection failed on BF so I flushed with RBF600 and the smell went away and brake feel was much better. Have you had you BF tested? Mine was dark and of course the new fluid was much lighter in color. Wouldn't hurt to check it.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
It just takes getting used to. As the flywheel is lighter you need more rpm to get going. Also shifting will need to be faster to match engine speeds. Upshifts and downshifts. Downshifts are easier as it revs quicker. You should notice an increase in acceleration. Better setup overall but does take some getting used to.
Tommy

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Unfortunately I'm away from my car or about 3 more weeks, so I can't practice. I'm just freaked out because the dealer (who is not familiar with this clutch and flywheel) thought the initial bite from a stop was so bad they were sure the parts were bad.

Hopefully with the some practice and break in the bite gets better...

·
Vendor
3,273 Posts
Huh, I never noticed it. The clutch leg pressure on the HD seems to be very close to stock(to me). I tell folks that it drives just like stock because to me it does. Maybe it will take a bit of time to get your flywheel broken in? The XD-SS however is pretty stiff. I would daily drive that but not in rush hour traffic.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,572 Posts
I have the XTSS. The pedal pressure is noticable, but what really is noticable is the shudder if I don't relase it quickly and under decreased load. I just had to learn to shift smoother with more precision when releasing. I have zero issues when taking off once I learned what the clutch likes. I changed how I shift to match the clutch. The OEM clutch did not have as much shudder nor did it bite anywhere near as hard. I would think your in between the two. Just release quickly, don't feather it at all. If you get shudder you feathered is ( according to the clutch!) Shudder gone, feathering gone. As for bite, I am just smooth with off gas/ on gas during shifting. I think probably normal what your experiencing.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Never experienced chatter or gabbiness with the exact same setup. When moving the car around I can get it rolling with little to no throttle, but I'm also supercharged. Either way I consider that a very forgiving clutch.

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Alright after a few days of practice I'm good with this setup. The bite has either decreased with skill or break-in. It chatters if a ride the clutch a little but that's nothing on how offensive the hard bite is.

I really enjoy everything else about this setup, definitely a noticeable (though nothing crazy) difference in performance.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
I have this same combo and glad it's not just me. Also glad that the light flywheel contributes to this behavior because I wasn't 100% sure the fidanza was installed. First drive was definitely impossible to feather. It's eased up somewhat in the few thousand miles since. I do love it though. It jumps right off the line. Bad thing is at the beginning when you can't creep the car forward or back. Driving out of the shop after the install, I banged the car into a wall (reversing) because of it's ON/OFF behavior. :mad::mad::mad:

Reactions: DAaaMan64

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have this same combo and glad it's not just me. Also glad that the light flywheel contributes to this behavior because I wasn't 100% sure the fidanza was installed. First drive was definitely impossible to feather. It's eased up somewhat in the few thousand miles since. I do love it though. It jumps right off the line. Bad thing is at the beginning when you can creep the car forward or back. Driving out of the shop after the install, I banged the car into a wall (reversing) because of it's ON/OFF behavior. :mad::mad::mad:
Hey I appreciate you sharing that and sorry that happened to you. I'm still not excited for the first time my wife rides with me, we'll see. Sometimes I somehow get it smooth as butter, other times it is nigh embarrassing.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Hey I appreciate you sharing that and sorry that happened to you. I'm still not excited for the first time my wife rides with me, we'll see. Sometimes I somehow get it smooth as butter, other times it is nigh embarrassing.
No problem. I was being "helped" out of the garage, too, when it happened.

If you jab on the throttle, it won't judder. You have to be quick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts