The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen these two next to eachother yet? I honestly cannot see any differences other than the electric windows, different head unit, and the leather. I know there is supposed to be a bit more carpeting and some sound proofing but has anyone actually seen it? Any pics?

-Steve

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
offroadr35 said:
I know there is supposed to be a bit more carpeting and some sound proofing but has anyone actually seen it? Any pics?

-Steve
yes, try a search. there have been a number of threads asking about this.

The extra carpeting is along the side rails and behind/under the seats.

The soft top comes with an extra layer of foam insulation.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
* full leather seating w/perforated trim
* electric windows
* upgraded Blaupunkt stereo w/MP3 player
* interior stowage net
* double insulated (thermal & sound) soft top
* additional sound deadening
* "enhanced" full carpet set

·
Registered
711 Posts
Has anyone been able to locate the additional sound deadening?

I'd be interested to find out how much quieter the Touring Pack is than the normal.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
atyclb said:
* full leather seating w/perforated trim
* electric windows
* upgraded Blaupunkt stereo w/MP3 player
* interior stowage net
* double insulated (thermal & sound) soft top
* additional sound deadening
* "enhanced" full carpet set
thanks but this isn't what i was asking. I know the stated differences, i'm wondering if anyone has actually found this extra carpet and sound deadening and if there are pictures of it.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
offroadr35 said:
thanks but this isn't what i was asking. I know the stated differences, i'm wondering if anyone has actually found this extra carpet and sound deadening and if there are pictures of it.
yes, there have been previous threads with pictures describing the difference

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
atyclb said:
I think I asked the same question before, but I am not sure that the question is answered. We know there is "additional sound deadening" but nobody knows what they are. The assumption is that some additional "stuffs" were spayed onto the frame. But does anyone know for sure? has anyone seen this "stuffs"?

I have the same dilema. The only thing that I care for in the touring package is this so-called "additional sound deadening," and I have no clue what it is. If it is just some dynamat behind the seats and between the firewall, well, I don't think that will be worth it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
atyclb said:
got a link? I don't think i've missed a thread since the cars have started coming in.

this picture shows the carpeting on the sills, but still no pics of soundproofing or other carpeting. I don't see where the 10lbs are coming from unless the top is about 6lbs heavier

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Look, if this helps, Steve Crjens (sp?) of Lotus told me at the LA Auto show that the exta material in the soft top and "additional" sound-deadening material (which IMO may very well consist of the extra carpeting) is good for about an additional decibel (1 dB) of noise reduction. I'm an acoustical engineer by trade and can tell you that is not a big difference. In "the real world) (that is, not in a lab or other controlled listening environment where you can do an instant A/B comparison, the average human listener would not discern a difference in sound of 1 dB, unless the tonal character of that sound is also altered by the change or they're extremely "tuned in" to the sound.

So if that's a big criteria for you, the touring package probably doesn't provide a lot of additional noise reduction (unless Steve Crjens misspoke of course).

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mikester said:
Look, if this helps, Steve Crjens (sp?) of Lotus told me at the LA Auto show that the exta material in the soft top and "additional" sound-deadening material (which IMO may very well consist of the extra carpeting) is good for about an additional decibel (1 dB) of noise reduction. I'm an acoustical engineer by trade and can tell you that is not a big difference. In "the real world) (that is, not in a lab or other controlled listening environment where you can do an instant A/B comparison, the average human listener would not discern a difference in sound of 1 dB, unless the tonal character of that sound is also altered by the change or they're extremely "tuned in" to the sound.

So if that's a big criteria for you, the touring package probably doesn't provide a lot of additional noise reduction (unless Steve Crjens misspoke of course).
I actually prefer the standard interior. I'm just wondering how hard the 10lbs are going to be to remove should i have to buy a touring pack car.

Anyone know the difference in weights between the two soft tops?

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
offroadr35 said:
I actually prefer the standard interior. I'm just wondering how hard the 10lbs are going to be to remove should i have to buy a touring pack car.

Anyone know the difference in weights between the two soft tops?
Do you realize your talking about the weight of less then 2 gallons of gas here. Your obsessing.... STOP! 10 pounds of weight will net you nothing.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1FASTMX5 said:
Do you realize your talking about the weight of less then 2 gallons of gas here. Your obsessing.... STOP! 10 pounds of weight will net you nothing.
it's not really even about the weight that much, just thinking out loud really.

Anyway, my personal preferences are not the point of this thread. I just want to see what exactly people are paying for with this package...is there something wrong with that?

-Steve

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
offroadr35 said:
it's not really even about the weight that much, just thinking out loud really.

Anyway, my personal preferences are not the point of this thread. I just want to see what exactly people are paying for with this package...is there something wrong with that?

-Steve
Mmm, now that you put it that way then no. Looking for the value in it is quite a different thing then just worrying about the 10 pounds. Press on soldier :)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Some added sound deadening material is the firewall area between the engine compartment and the passenger compartment. I saw the part (molded foam) that they put in there when I was in the factory. Not 100% sure but the thing I saw seemed as it would only fit in that area & it would be a logical place to put it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
AFAIK is a lot of the sound deadening is made from high-density foam and installed in the connection between the engine and passenger compatiment.

It's not directly visible as it's located in places like:

- Foam blocks and matting between the firewall and the cover inside the passenger compartiment (behind the speakers)
- Blocks of foam installed inside the chassis beams and outer sills

And a lot more places like that..

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I can FART louder than 1dB so unless you're in love with British designed and built electric windows (think about it) I think Mikester clinched the argument.

Also, paying to cover up beautiful aluminium with carpet seems insane to me.

;)

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Considering their profit margin on a car with no options, looks like they had to make their money somewhere. The extra insulation might help with heat when one of the tops are on, by I'm unsure. Probably not a significant amount. The only other thing I can think of, is that perhaps you will hear less pebbles dinging off the bottom of the car.

I think most people were buying the touring pack to get rid of the hideous cloth seats that first surfaced at the LA Auto Show. They turned out much better.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I personally wanted the standard interior. The leather in the seats and doors does look pretty good, I couldn't care less for the stereo upgrade as I usually only listen to public radio (news) and the additional sound proofing is probably negligeable; however, most dealers have spec'd all their additional cars with Touring packs as it obviously adds to their profit margin so I took what I could get. The touring pack is also the only way to get an interior in a color other than black so that might be enough of a reason for most people to go for it. Just think of it this way: most normal car manufactures charge 1,200 to 2,500.00 just for a leather seat upgrade (MINI charges 1,250.00!, Porsche charges in the 3,000 range for partial leather!) and you don't get a better stereo or anything else with that, granted the Elise uses very little leather but I still feel that for the money the package from Lotus is a fair deal and you can't go wrong by going with or without it.

edit to say: also I must say that I'm extremelly happy with my color combo in the touring pack, the biscuit leather goes very well with most Elise colors and it definetelly adds a little bit of spark to such an understated color as Nightfall Blue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts