The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't mind the new look, but the ad placement is really affecting usability.

this is what i see when i look at the site on my laptop; barely 1 thread line before i have to scroll down a page.

the top banner ad could easily be placed up inside the green header where all that empty space is to save some room and the google ad could be moved to the bottom of the page.

adblock hides google ads for me but moving them to the bottom of the page would probably be helpful for other people. i'd like to continue supporting the site by viewing and clicking on the lotus-related ads, but if they make it hard to read the site i'm going to have to block them or stop using the site.

also, when you view the site when not logged in, it says "Registered members do not see the above ads. Please Register Today" which is obviously not true.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Moving the banners up to the large green void at the top of the page would make it much more user friendly. Sadly there are already google ads on the bottom... they're double-fisting by having them at the top as well.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Absolutely. More ads than substance. Looks like we are seeing about half as many active thread titles, making the whole site much less usable. :( Considerably slower too.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
New Ads? Haven't seen em. AdBlock for Firefox is the way to go!

Wow just checked them on IE. They're huge... That's why I don't use IE. That and the find feature sux.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
ZJ, does that program block all ads?

I logged in this morning and I'm getting pop up's from EBAY. I guess based on my IP.

The ads are showing me cars and minivans and other crap on Ebay from Louisville Kentucky, which is where I live. I'm assuming they're logging my IP to do so.

I'd like to get rid of those if I can. If I wanted to buy a used Murcury Sable on Ebay, I'd go there myself. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
the top banner ad could easily be placed up inside the green header where all that empty space is to save some room and the google ad could be moved to the bottom of the page.

+1000

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
2 ads suck. Why must I be subject to a Lotus ad, and than the spam of other sites as well. Cripes.
This is awful.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

this is what i see when i look at the site on my laptop; barely 1 thread line before i have to scroll down a page.

adblock hides google ads for me but moving them to the bottom of the page would probably be helpful for other people. i'd like to continue supporting the site by viewing and clicking on the lotus-related ads, but if they make it hard to read the site i'm going to have to block them or stop using the site.

also, when you view the site when not logged in, it says "Registered members do not see the above ads. Please Register Today" which is obviously not true.
+1

·
Registered
7,089 Posts

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,090 Posts

+1

·
Registered
389 Posts
The latest version of Adblock for Firefox can be found here.

http://adblockplus.org/en/installation

I don't mind supporting the forum but those ADs are too IN YOUR FACE. :thwack:

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Just scroll past them????
Besides some are entertaining. I just clicked the ebay "Sector 111 Battery Cover" First off, it was the stock one. Second, it was listed under the catagory- Forced induction, turbochargers. lol. Third, the bidding was actually at something like $17.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
the ads and header crap are actually taking up more real estate today than yesterday. 7/8 ths of the landing page, when i click through to a thread, is NON CONTENT! i can see exactly one line of the first post. then it's scroll fest. my poor arrow keys are never going to speak to me again.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I agree. There are too many banners and ads. It doesn't feel like a "community" any more, and feels more like a shopping-mall.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Hi, Welcome to WALMART.

These ads are driving me crazy, I tried the firefox thing didn't work the first time so I must have done something wrong.

I swear, I now resent Ebay and every other pop up I see on here, to the extent that I'll go out of my way NOT to use the product being forced at me. Especially the "EBAY LOUISVILLE" links that use my own IP to show me ****pot cars from my area like crappy ass mini vans and mercury sables.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts