The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All,
Blinged it up a notch. Had been toying with the idea of painting the lettering in the knob to match the car color.

What I decided to use instead is this rubberized coating that comes in a can (got mine at Lowes) that you dip tool handles in and forms a rubber handle.

I layered a big blob on the lettering and then massaged it into the numbers with my fingers, after that I wiped the whole area down with clean towel. Worked very well with no residue left. I'll probably go at successive intervals to build up the layer so it's basically flush with the metal surfac.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
hey! This is kinda weird. My boyfriend and I were in Lowes yesterday and I picked up a can of that stuff you used just beause it looked like neat stuff. However, prior to that I was looking at the gearshift knob and thinking it could use a little something-thanks for the tip! We just picked up our chrome orange elise on friday-see pic on cixelsyd-hope that goop comes in orange!!

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
cixelsyd said:
hope that goop comes in orange!!
I have a CO on order and was thinking of the color as Chris and I talked about this concept. I think that the orange may not be the right choice here. It's not visible enough to be part of the trim and I think that the red against the matt finish is more striking. What do you think?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other option would be to go with black if that's the interior color you get, a good contrast if you paint the tunnel orange.

I don't think orange would show up very well either.
Chris

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Sandmuseum & I were talking about painting the recessed shift pattern a color (your choice) and then filling the recession with epoxy and sanding it smooth. This would smoothen the top of the knob and eliminate it becoming a dirt trap.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually Kiyoshi,
This stuff dries to a rubber consistency, You can build it up by successive layers until it's essentially level with the surface.

Chris

·
Registered
268 Posts
agreed

Chris,

I think your exactly correct - with the CO car and the CO center console, the shift knob is not crying out for more CO. I think your suggestion of black is the way to go. I think we'll give that a shot!

-=cixel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts