The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried the search to no avail: One thing I miss with the Elise dash layout is being able to quickly see oil pre. and engine temps. Really like to be able to get a quick glance when on the track as to what's going on. It would be an ideal location to convert the two center heat/air grills into a mount for oil pre, and a temp guage. I'd imagine I'm not the first to think of this, so am asking for info. Main question is how to remove the rotating air grill without screwing things up, so things can be returned to stock some day. Looks like a small tab inside the plastic bits; how does one release this to open up the air duct? Seems like a great spot to locate a couple of analog guages.. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Tried the search to no avail: One thing I miss with the Elise dash layout is being able to quickly see oil pre. and engine temps. Really like to be able to get a quick glance when on the track as to what's going on. It would be an ideal location to convert the two center heat/air grills into a mount for oil pre, and a temp guage. I'd imagine I'm not the first to think of this, so am asking for info. Main question is how to remove the rotating air grill without screwing things up, so things can be returned to stock some day. Looks like a small tab inside the plastic bits; how does one release this to open up the air duct? Seems like a great spot to locate a couple of analog guages.. Thanks!
Not really gonna answer your question, but I have this;

Gauge Bracket, Lotus Exterior Products -Blackwatch Racing

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
add guages

Demonized, RoaDad, That's exactly what I was looking for; both good solutions, thanks! Tom

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
For some folks the BWR gauge bracket can be hard to see. It may be blocked by one of several things: your leg, the steering wheel, etc. It may not be a "quick glance" but rather a tilt the head and move the leg kind of thing. If you are wearing a helmet it may be even harder to see. It may, however, be perfect for you.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Add guages

RoaDad, After sitting in the car again, you'r correct; it's too much of glance away from the road down to see the guages, I will have to figure out how to get the dash apart without messing things up. From looking thru the posts on the upper mounting, it sounds like they used a dremmel to cut out the vent innerds, which I'd rather avoid. Probably a simple job with a little more knowledge, Tom

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Buy an extra set of whatever you have to cut before doing the cutting. You'll feel better.

Some guys strip the dash out of the cars for racing, so you should be able to find the pieces used and cheap.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Tom, the search might have turned up more results if you had spelled the word correctly(i.e gauge vice "guage"). GIGO!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, that was no doubt the problem, I didn't win many gold star's as a kid, and don't seem to be improving with age.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You may want to send a PM to forum member fredkto. Fred has a custom gage binnacle that is mounted on the dash top that is nicely blended into the space between the center air vents. I am pretty sure it is a binnacle with 2 gages but I could be wrong and it may have only been 1 gage. This setup looked really nice in Fred's Type 72D when I saw it last year. I think I remember Fred telling me that Synaptic3 (a forum sponsor) custom made this piece for him and I think he may have said they developed molds. Contact Fred, I think he would be willing to provide more details, it might be worth a try.

Dave

·
Registered
933 Posts
Here's a pic of an A/F meter that I recently installed. It is perfectly accessible from the driver's seat. Wiring is a no brainer and runs unobtrusively down below the steering column and back to the datalogging controller. I never use my AC or heat anyway, so everything gained, nothing lost. 100% reverseable.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mike, that's what I was thinking; can you describe how you removed the vent air controll face bits? I can fab a plate to hold the gauge and run wiring with no problem, just would prefer not to start chopping up my almost perfect ride. I'd think the vent face would have a "detent clip" fastener, kind of like a wiring harness connector, that , when pushed allows the to sections to un-mate.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
What guages would be most useful in a stock Elise?

I am looking at the Blackwatch Racing bezel for the center console. It looks nice and is fairly inexpensive. The question is, what to put there that is useful? My initial thoughts are three Autometer Ultra-light series gauges... an analog clock, volt meter, and D-PIC (dynamic performance information center) The D-Pic gauge is kind of fun, Porsche has something similar. The clock is handy because very often, my radio face is stored away and I don't even connect it, and of course voltmeter to keep an eye on the battery. All of these would be very easy to wire in, since they need merely ground and a postive wire. The clock would need to run all the time of course.

Alternatively, an oil pressure gauge might be nice. But...where would it pick up the signal? Is the existing sender compatible?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Mike, that's what I was thinking; can you describe how you removed the vent air controll face bits? I can fab a plate to hold the gauge and run wiring with no problem, just would prefer not to start chopping up my almost perfect ride. I'd think the vent face would have a "detent clip" fastener, kind of like a wiring harness connector, that , when pushed allows the to sections to un-mate.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. The vent air control pops out. Be careful not to bugger up your plastic surround. I used a nylon interior tool that I purchased from Hot Rod Garage. Once I popped the air vent out, I removed the air directional control flapper and then used a dremel tool to cut a 3/8" hole in the left side. I cut another 3/8" hole on the left side of the vent air control housing.

Once finished, I took off the binacle and steering column surround and routed the wire down below. Very easy to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts