The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a 2 years of ownership of my 2006 Polar Blue Elise a supercharger system was "needed"
I loved the car naturally aspirated but I wanted to take it to the next level. The cars handling and telepathic driving characteristics begged for a bit more power. In December of 2013 I got the financials in order to get a supercharger kit. I ordered a TVS1320 kit from a well known vendor here on LT. The TVS kit was back ordered for the blower itself. I got promises of next week, next week, with each of my emails. By March of 14 I was fed up and contacted Phil at BOE. I asked if they had any Rev 300 or 400's in stock ready to ship. Within that day Phil emailed me back telling me he did and they ship in about 5 days. I promptly canceled my order with the other vendor and ordered a Rev400 kit from BOE.

The communication from BOE was nothing but great. We even had a few hic-ups do to a typo on my shipping zip code but thanks to the staff at BOE we cleared that up. Once the kit arrived my friend at work helped me unpack it and we were both amazed by the quality of each piece and completeness of the kit. It looked like a pleasure to work with! One comment of my non Lotus friend was "I cant believe you are going to put this much weight in your car with the extents you went through to shave weight off of it." My comment back was simple "The power to weight ratio will be dramatically changed by this kit."

I unfortunately had to wait another month to start on the build. I had the supercharger kit, new clutch, flywheel, BOE surge tank, BOE catch can, and BOE Quarter Stick exhaust, and a gPan3 all waiting for me once I got time to work on it. The last week of May I started by pulling the clam and taking all the parts off the engine needed to install the supercharger. I worked slow only on weekends and pretty much only on one day per weekend. The supercharger, surge tank, exhaust, catch can and gPan install took me 3 weekends but it could have easily been done faster. I had never tackled a supercharger install so I took my time and double checked everything. I even had a question about wiring and Phil at BOE set me on the right path straight away.

So once the supercharger was installed it was tune time the last week in June. This part was far easier than I made it out to be or the instructions led me to believe. First start up was success! The next day the clam went on and I took the car for a drive. It was very apparent that the Rev400 kit and tune was performing as advertised. The next day I took it out for shake down cruise number 2 and all was well until I hit 3rd gear stabbed the throttle at 4,000 RPM and felt no acceleration but RPMs shot up to 6K and clutch smoke filled my nose! I nursed the car home to her garage and regretted not upgrading the clutch while the clam was off and the supercharger was going in or upgrading the clutch first and then doing the supercharger.

Again due to work that pays the bills and social life I had to wait until this week to do the clutch. This time I enlisted the help of my friend Turbo Joe no relation to Turbo Phil. Joe is a tuner guy that has done pretty much any mod to Japanese imports and American muscle cars but he has never worked on a Lotus. With him and I both working on the car we got the clam off, rear suspension out and transmission out clutch and flywheel in one afternoon. The rear suspension and clam went on the next day in a few hours.

The first drive today was amazing! The clutch grabbed the supercharger pulled hard! Joe could not believe how fast the car was able to get to 60 or 100 for that matter. I stopped to visit one of Joe's friends and I handed Joe the keys. Joe was grinning ear to ear driving the Elise. He was amazed by how the car turned and went around corners. He loved the power but he could not get over the intoxicating telepathic handling. Joe was wanting an Arial Atom but the price point, practicality and rarity of the Atom makes the Elise with a good supercharger the next best thing. I think Joe is set on an Elise now. We shall see!

A couple lessons learned from this build. If you DIY put the new upgraded clutch in first if your SC kit is going to above 210HP or your clutch was already slipping a little. Clam off for the clutch change or supercharger install is a very big time saver. Everything is easy to get to with the rear clam off. Bag and mark all parts and hardware. I like to bag them mark it and put a ziptie to the parts that the hardware belongs to. Enlist the help of a mechanical inclined friend and let them drive the car when its done.

A couple of plugs for the following parts.
BOE: Rev400 TVS kit and tune, Surge Tank, Catch can, BOE Quarter Stick muffler.

Sector111: gPan3

MWR: Fidanza Flywheel, ARP flywheel HW kit and ACT XTR6 clutch.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
A couple lessons learned from this build. If you DIY put the new upgraded clutch in first if your SC kit is going to above 210HP or your clutch was already slipping a little.
Huh? I'm making 281rwhp on the stock clutch and there are no issues. Surely your number above is a mistake.

San

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oldmansan

Yep that was a random number..... The Rev400 in my car should make around 300HP and my clutch was slipping very so slightly before I put the SC in. I have read that the stock clutch will hold up to 300HP not sure how true that is. My car had 71K on it with the supercharger install and it pretty much smoked the stock clutch instantly. Maybe your car has less miles on it?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
a rev400 will pass smog in CA according to another thread. My car passes obd in New Hampshire, it's all they test, but the car still has the cat so i believe it would not be an issue. Other CA cars with REV400's have passed IIRC.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
CA is supposed to be OBD only from what I heard a few years ago. I just smogged a Scion TC this past weekend and they still did the dyno, visual, and OBD. The car is 2006 so my understanding is that only OBD and visual needs to be done. Wtf is up with that?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
and the visual on an Elise is fun.

did this last week in Colorado.

Had to convince him that there was a cat on the car, there is and its factory, but its tough to prove this visually:)

·
Registered
945 Posts
and the visual on an Elise is fun.

did this last week in Colorado.

Had to convince him that there was a cat on the car, there is and its factory, but its tough to prove this visually:)
Wow... I've never had them open the engine compartment on anything I've ever owned much less ask questions. All they've ever done for me is plugged in the OBD and pulled onto the sniffer dyno - as long as it passed readiness and the sniffer, good to go. That's the way it should be IMO - if I'm not emitting anything over the limits, why should they get to care what's allowing the car to do so?

Gotta drive past more of the sniffer vans now, I guess...

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Wow... I've never had them open the engine compartment on anything I've ever owned much less ask questions. All they've ever done for me is plugged in the OBD and pulled onto the sniffer dyno - as long as it passed readiness and the sniffer, good to go. That's the way it should be IMO - if I'm not emitting anything over the limits, why should they get to care what's allowing the car to do so?

Gotta drive past more of the sniffer vans now, I guess...

You're talking about California here...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts