But nothing

Car has VF supercharger and charliex tune

Any ideas why it doesn't work?

Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
287 Posts
The ECU must be programmed to enable the traction control.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Interesting, I was under the impression that all ECUs are programmed to have TC, but checks for presence of the TC switch at start up and disable/enables it depending on the result.

Or at least that is the case for the stock ECU. I'm not sure about how CharlieX tune handles TC.
Do a google search using "site:lotustalk.com keyword keyword keyword"

·
Registered
945 Posts
Interesting, I was under the impression that all ECUs are programmed to have TC, but checks for presence of the TC switch at start up and disable/enables it depending on the result.

Or at least that is the case for the stock ECU. I'm not sure about how CharlieX tune handles TC.
It checks on the first five startups, then writes out the status and doesn't check again.

BOE, Kold Fire, or a dealer are your best bets for resetting the TC status. Hopefully one will cut you a deal since resetting one param is a far cry from a real flash/tune in terms of difficulty and R+D value.

·
Registered
394 Posts
is there a specific reason why Lotus wouldn't put that switch in each and every car if all it needs is just the switch?

does anybody know if their traction control also has access to the brakes?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Um, what? You can "add" the option of TC simply by adding the switch and an ecu flash? This is new and exciting news to me!

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
TC is available on all the T4e models (2006+) and to some extent 2005, but that's another subject...

On the 2006+ models, if you add the switch and reset the ECU (only done by Lotus dealer or if you have koldfire or BOE Fastworks software). Then the ECU will enable the factory TC. If the ECU doesn't "see" the TC switch after 3 (I believe) ignition cycles, TC will forever be dead until an actual reset is performed.

Resets can only be done with software as I described above. Disconnecting the battery does nothing.

-Phil

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yes

But my modded tune may have deactivated

So I may have to send back to have it put back

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TC is available on all the T4e models (2006+) and to some extent 2005, but that's another subject...

On the 2006+ models, if you add the switch and reset the ECU (only done by Lotus dealer or if you have koldfire or BOE Fastworks software). Then the ECU will enable the factory TC. If the ECU doesn't "see" the TC switch after 3 (I believe) ignition cycles, TC will forever be dead until an actual reset is performed.

Resets can only be done with software as I described above. Disconnecting the battery does nothing.

-Phil

If dealer does it
Does that affect the tune program?
Or can they just do the TC?

Or do I need to remove ecu and send back to VF

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
is there a specific reason why Lotus wouldn't put that switch in each and every car if all it needs is just the switch?

does anybody know if their traction control also has access to the brakes?
Why? Because it's a value-adding(?) feature and they wanted to make money on it. TADTS
Or it's because Lotus is known for Leaving Out The Unnecessary Stuff.
I think the Federal law requires traction control in all cars now, along with things like TPMS, etc....

Lotus Traction Control (LTC) doesn't use the brakes.

Lotus Engineering said:
The Lotus system ingeniously intervenes by reducing engine torque output, but by cutting combustion events. A carefully designed algorithm selectively misses fuel injection events relative to the level of wheelspin, as well as the engine operating parameters. With injection events that can occur once every two-thousandths of a second, the effective intervention time is imperceptible to the driver. The driver's awareness of the LTC functioning is mainly audible (the audible effect to the driver is similar to that of a rev limiter), with the blinking of the yellow tell-tale lamp as visual reminder of the maximized acceleration being experienced.
http://www.just-auto.com/proactive/pdf/lotus-newsletter-issue-23.pdf
pages 10~12.

08+ Exiges and 211s feature Variable Traction Control that you can adjust for the amount of slip. It also comes with Launch Control.

Here is what it's like to have LTC come on, although the video is for 211's Variable Traction Control.
Fifth gear tests Lotus 211 sport car - YouTube

You really can't feel it unlike other cars where it's like someone's yanking on a leash.

The newer Bosch system used on Elise/Exige V6 and maybe the Evora seem to have access to brakes, though. They have things like Understeer detection and whole bunch of other stuff.:cool:

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
FYI, while I was doing my shifter cable instal, I started the car a few times and my Koldfire fire tuned ecu erased my TC. I can't get anyone to turn it back on for me now. I've been without TC now for over a year.:no:

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Older thread, but here's what TC sounds like:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts