The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front clam has some minor fracturing that I am going to endeavor to repair. I notice that the headlights sit in a pod made of a black plastic, and that they are bonded to the clamshell fiberglass with some kind of adhesive (see attached).

I am looking to see if anyone knows what the plastic material is, and what types of adhesive work for this joint. Also, in general any notes on experience with re-bonding sub-sections of the clam that are separated would also be valuable.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I am also looking for the Lotus or similar-type adhesive to attach the center bracket to my CF roof.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I would think fiberglass would be effective and work.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Doesn't the plastic pod come out when you take the 3 bolts out, but I'm not sure about the adhesive that bonds the clam. Being it's inside the clam I would bet that most fiberglass resin products could work or even an auto-adhesive for trim peices.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I am looking to see if anyone knows what the plastic material is, and what types of adhesive work for this joint. Also, in general any notes on experience with re-bonding sub-sections of the clam that are separated would also be valuable.

Pod should be a simple ABS plastic and is bonded to the clam using the same adhesive that's used for the windscreen.

It's a BetaSeal type. Exact type can be found in the service manual. You can also use Sikaflex 255-FC in it's place.

Heating it up gently to around 80 to 100 degrees C and then using a thin steel cutting wire should make it possible to separate the glue layer.

Sub sections of the clam itself may be bonded together in a different way as they are not really meant to be taken apart anyway (and are not sold separately).

Bye, Arno.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts