The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. I want to attach the rear red led blinker fixture from a "Bell Arella 850 Hi-Output bicycle light set" to the back end of my Elise on the clam crest just below the spoiler above the "T" in LOTUS. (It fits on that plane perfectly in the horizontal position, centered) and looks fine. I got the idea from F1 to draw attention to cars rear end and avoid a "proximity error" or a just plain "look down from your SUV and see that there is "Low-tus" in front of you.

One square inch of adhesive velcro, (peel and stick) would do the job nicely but will it come off in the future without damaging the paint is what I need to know here. I have never applied adhesive Velcro to an automobile paint job and have no experience with "the test of time". Would it fuse? Cause discoloration in that spot? Even come off again with goo-gone say and/or a heat gun? Please! Help!:facepalm

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
The problem with taping anything to a painted surface of a car is the weathering. The rest of the car will weather (oxidize) and under the patch,it will not. When it is time to take it off, it will be a bright colored spot...and I don't know of a product that will restore the rest of the paint...

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Sounds like a bad idea in general, but you can put a section of clear bra film down and then adhere the velcro onto that.

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
These Pinellas County drivers get too close for comfort (highest accident rate per populous in the USA). So, I do want the warning flasher. I'm not trying to make a fashion statement, just protect my ass. Literally.
With your input and my own apprehension about covering the paint with "glue" in this heat, I'm going to stick it on the back window, just under the brake warning light on the black frame area. That's not my tail but better than nothing and better than being nervous about taking the car out for fear of being rear ended. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
You might also like one of the flasher devices for your third brake light. You plug them in inline with the bulb, and whenever you hit the brakes the third brake light flashes quickly a couple times before going solid on. There's a thread on here from many years ago where a couple guys installed them on their Elise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts