The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to install my new adjustable rear links on my 1988 Esprit w/ Citroen transmission this morning. Looks like they are 20mm too long at their smallest dimension.

Stock links are 225mm total length and the adjustable links are 245mm outside to outside.

Did I get the wrong parts, or do the adjustable links only fit on the Renault transmission cars?

Good thing I already installed the bushings in them :facepalm

Attachments

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not looking at the part numbers, I would agree that the later links do not fit on the Citroen cars...

Those are really only needed if you plan on changing ride height, or going with a wider wheel with greater offset.
Called JAE and they said they have sold them to G-body cars which would be the same chassis as mine. Jay is looking into it.

My car is both lowered and running OZ Novas. I had 2.5 degrees negative camber when I got it checked. I am guessing with new bushings I will be at -1.5 degrees, as the bushings on both the top and bottom were totally hosed.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
well, that would be a good reason.

In the 87 Lotus parts manual for cars with Citroen transmission they list 2 different part numbers for the upper link

A082D4086F for Compomotive wheels
B082D4081F for BBS wheels.

In the 88-92 manual the upper link part is (remember that the UK 88 had the Renault Transmission)
A082D4118F

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,312 Posts
Travis, I know you made your own adjustable upper links.

Could ExtraTX shorten the tubes by cutting some off one end and re-welding the nut?

How far does the center thread go into the tubes, anyway?

+++++++++

Before you do that, see what JAE says. Perhaps these were made wrong or were marked for the wrong year? Hopefully Jay has more in stock that match the length of your stock items.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Adjustable upper links are a great addition for any Esprit. There are lots of Esprits running around with funky camber.

My Esprit ran 2.5 degrees of negative camber with the stock links....that's not a good or friendly setting for street driving. I made my own adjustable links from good quality chromoly tube using the originals as patterms - not that hard to make if you're good with a mig welder or tig welder and have a tube cutter. The car is now set at 1 degree negative and she drives much, much better for it.

A decent fabrication shop will cut 25mm out of your adjustable ones and re-weld.....

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Travis, I know you made your own adjustable upper links.

Could ExtraTX shorten the tubes by cutting some off one end and re-welding the nut?

How far does the center thread go into the tubes, anyway?

+++++++++

Before you do that, see what JAE says. Perhaps these were made wrong or were marked for the wrong year? Hopefully Jay has more in stock that match the length of your stock items.
Yea, that would be possible. Would need to cut the chromoly tube and re-weld. No different than what I did (or Lotus really) and the paint them to prevent rust. You would just have an extra weld joint...

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For what these pre-made units cost, I'm not cutting them! If it turns out they are correct, and not for my car, I'll have some fabricated and powder coated.

Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Integrator
2,931 Posts
You should be measuring center-to-center dimension, which is 185mm for 1988 ET.

For properly engineered parts, check here: Esprit Parts

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
The upper links are longer for the Renault transaxle cars, and shorter for the Citroen transaxle cars. It looks to me like you have S4/ S4s links that would be a drop-in fit for an SE, but not for any model older than that (not 1980-87 G-Turbo and S3 or 1988 Federal/ Bosch).

The adjustable links JAE used to sell (still do ?) for the Citroen Esprits are shorter, and made differently. Instead of welded on ends and the center adjusting screw (like yours), the ends are made like rubber-bushed rod ends that screw into the ends of the one-piece arm. Both ends have right-hand threads, so it does not work like a turnbuckle. Instead, it's necessary to unbolt one end in order to make a camber adjustment. It works well for adjusting the rear camber once if you just want to run different specs, but it's too cumbersome to allow for quick trackside tweaks during a pitstop.

Regards,
Tim Engel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts