The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if you can use the driver's side adjustable seat rails and install the passenger seat onto them and use them on the passenger side?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
You cannot. The passenger side is slightly narrower and the seat is angled such that it would run into the frame rail if it were to move forward more than an inch or so.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Does anyone know if you can use the driver's side adjustable seat rails and install the passenger seat onto them and use them on the passenger side?
The driver's side rails may bolt in, but you still will not be able to use the sliding adjustment. Go out to your car and take a good look at the rail on the right hand side of your passenger seat. Now follow it forward and you will see how the seat would hit the side sill rail of the frame almost instantly if it was to slide forward. The seats are skewed toward the passenger side and that is why Lotus made the passenger seat fixed in place.

(Looks like andykeck beat me to it.)

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
You could actually do this, as some of the bolt-holes are already there, but it'd be a lot of trouble (different seats, or reworked Lotus seat rails, and some custom cutting of the console/seats).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just wondering if European version seat will do ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip. I installed a six point harness this week and had to move the driver seat over due to the stock seat belt recepticle pushing against the console. When doing so I had to use the outboard set of holes but then the seat would not stay set when adjusted, it did not lock in place. I switched the order of the recepticle bringing it inboard on the seat and now used the old mounting holes. The seat works again. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
You could actually do this, as some of the bolt-holes are already there, but it'd be a lot of trouble (different seats, or reworked Lotus seat rails, and some custom cutting of the console/seats).
Actually you can't. Lotus uses the same basic chassis for both left had drive and right hand drive versions. The LHD cars (ours) have the seats shifted to the right (the right set of holes). This offsets the driver's seat toward the middle of the car by a bit (note that the rear view mirror is not centered on the windshield, it's offset to the right also). That means that the passenger seat has to be mounted to the right. As already pointed out, it can't move forward as it will hit the side rails of the chassis. You also can't use the other set of mounting holes, as it would make the passenger seat interfere with the driver's seat (unless you more the driver's seat to the left, and then you wouldn't be able to adjust the driver's seat).

Bottom line is that the passenger seat is fixed in position.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts