The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several adjustable upper links removed from 4 cyl and V8's and they appear to have never been adjusted. They line up exactly with the stock early 90's SE non adjustable links. With everyone flipping around wheels and tires one would think people would be adjusting settings.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone adjust their links? The ones I know that have adjusted the links settings are cars that normally do not come with adjustable links but were added as a mod. Anyone with cars with OEM adjustable links that have tried to alter settings?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Of course I adjusted mine.... ;)

I've changed suspension completely a few times in the last 14 years.

Now with fully adjustable JRZ double adjustable shocks, I found that you really can't go too much lower in an SE with V8 wheels, without rubbing issues, so I'm at 2mm lower than stock. Partly that is due to the front V8 wheels being a larger diameter than stock SE sizes.

The difference between 0 deg of rear camber, and -1 or -1.5 deg is not that much on the adjustable links.

They are really only needed to correct for the extra induced camber of the V8 10" wide rear wheels with different offset.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of course I adjusted mine.... ;)

I've changed suspension completely a few times in the last 14 years.

Now with fully adjustable JRZ double adjustable shocks, I found that you really can't go too much lower in an SE with V8 wheels, without rubbing issues, so I'm at 2mm lower than stock. Partly that is due to the front V8 wheels being a larger diameter than stock SE sizes.

The difference between 0 deg of rear camber, and -1 or -1.5 deg is not that much on the adjustable links.

They are really only needed to correct for the extra induced camber of the V8 10" wide rear wheels with different offset.
I actually wrote the question to exclude you and a few others who added the adjustables as mods as I was interested in cars with OEM adjustable suspension and if they played with or altered them. It appears most do not. Seems strange that the cars equipped with them do nothing with them.

Many of our SE's in MN have adjustable suspension. We actually use them with the stock SE wheels. Cammack and I prefer stock rather than the V8 wheels. In our opinion, sometimes the ability to mount larger tires or wider tires is not always the best. In some instances the wider tires increased grip but at the cost of weird or unusual road feel. We attributed this to side wall height differences and flex. Since we have been able get tires in the sizes we desire I have elected to stay with the stock wheels. Also V8 wheels that are fine up front will rub on the settings we prefer but are fine with the stock wheels. Cammack is a good resource as his instructor status grants him regular access to track to test different tires, springs and setting combinations. Some work out well while other were a horrible mistake

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my Turbo close to stock set-up on my 89. I've got 16" rims on the rear and 15" on the front with Gas shocks and SJ springs for the front and SE shocks and springs on the rear. I only wish there were directories available for the 15" fronts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts