The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Closet Petrolhead
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - I'm 5'6" and the shoulder strap portion of the seatbelt in my Evora is cutting across my neck. I didn't find any adjustment method on the device, or mention of adjustment in the owner's manual, so I'm wondering if anyone has adjusted the height of the belt, and what an elegant way to do it would be?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Hey guys - I'm 5'6" and the shoulder strap portion of the seatbelt in my Evora is cutting across my neck. I didn't find any adjustment method on the device, or mention of adjustment in the owner's manual, so I'm wondering if anyone has adjusted the height of the belt, and what an elegant way to do it would be?
$5.00, problem solved.

Frankie Seat Belt Adjuster Clip

My wife uses a similar device in our cars. No complaints.

Edit: oh, and you have her beat by at least two or three inches, so it should work just fine for you.

·
Closet Petrolhead
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brilliant. Ordering that right now. Glad I don't have to take anything apart.

·
Premium Member
8,384 Posts
Looks like it raised his lap belt and set him/her up for the old submarine special. At least that's what the picture implied!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but how does that lower the seat belt to stop it cutting into your neck?
It pinches the lap and shoulder belts together in your lap so that the angle of the shoulder belt is more vertical, and thus not cutting across the neck.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Looks like it raised his lap belt and set him/her up for the old submarine special. At least that's what the picture implied!
There's only a very slight movement of the lap belt if adjusted properly. Submarining is not an issue so long as the inertia reel on the shoulder belt is still working properly, allowing for the upper body forward movement and twist before locking.

·
Closet Petrolhead
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is "submarining?" The "old submarine special" sounds like something at a sandwich shop, haha...

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
What is "submarining?" The "old submarine special" sounds like something at a sandwich shop, haha...
The sandwich shop version is much, much more pleasant, I assure you.

(From here on, this post is far too long and contains way more information than you asked for. But here goes...)

In the case of seat belts, and particularly racing harnesses, it refers to the situation where following an impact, the body first starts to lurch forward but the upper body is held in place by the belt. Inertia makes the body still attempt to move forward, resulting in a the legs and hips moving forward sliding the lower torso underneath the lap belt - submarining. This is extremely unpleasant, as the lap belt then forces itself inwards and upwards into the squishy parts, resulting in ruptured spleens, kidneys, and other nastiness. This is why the 5th (or 6th) belt that comes up through the crotch in a 5 point harness is called the Anti Submarine Strap.

With a normal street 3 point belt like yours, this isn't an issue. Having the belt over only one shoulder allows the torso to move forward and twist slightly, positioning the pelvis such that submarining doesn't occur.

The concern raised here regarding the adjuster is that if the lap belt is pulled upwards too much, it may be high enough that the "pelvic twist" is no longer sufficient to prevent submarining.

Just watch how you adjust the belt. Keep it nice and low across the lap and you'll be fine.

·
Closet Petrolhead
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That does sound distinctly painful. I don't think the little thingamajig pulls the lap strap up so high. It looks in the pictures like it pulls the shoulder strap down and over, if that make sense. We'll see when the little thingy gets here.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
That does sound distinctly painful. I don't think the little thingamajig pulls the lap strap up so high. It looks in the pictures like it pulls the shoulder strap down and over, if that make sense. We'll see when the little thingy gets here.
Exactly. The one my wife uses keeeps the lap belt nice and low, so no problem. Just jiggle and shuffle things around a bit when you use it to make sure you're not pulling the lap belt upwards., just pulling the shoulder belt sideways.

Oh, and belated welcome to the Lotus Community!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts