The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hunted around for anything similar to this but didn't find anything.

So...

How do you guys adjust your side mirrors in your car?

I’ve always adjusted them so that I can see the sides of my car from my normal seating position. But I’ve always noticed that I have that classical ‘blind spot’ where a car tend to sit just next to me but back a little. I get people checking out the car from that spot every now and then. (I guess it’s a good vantage point.) I’m always looking over my shoulder before I switch lanes …and sometimes get surprised by someone there that I hadn’t known about. I think looking over your shoulder is always a good check that should be done before switching lanes, but I sometimes get very startled by someone being there that I never suspected.

Anyway, I read this article in Popular Mechanics the other day and am trying it out. It’s taking some getting used to (because I can’t see the sides of my car like I’m accustom to) but I think it REALLY makes a difference. I’m still testing it but so far I’m liking it.

The article is here …

Rear View Mirrors Adjustment - Blind Spot Fix - Free Mechanic Advice - Car Repair - Popular Mechanics

The pictures in the article aren’t quite right, but the procedure to adjust the mirrors is the key.

What do you guys think? :shrug:

- z

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
I hunted around for anything similar to this but didn't find anything

I’ve always adjusted them so that I can see the sides of my car from my normal seating position. But I’ve always noticed that I have that classical ‘blind spot’ where a car tend to sit just next to me but back a little. I get people checking out the car from that spot every now and then. (I guess it’s a good vantage point.) I’m always looking over my shoulder before I switch lanes …and sometimes get surprised by someone there that I hadn’t known about. I think looking over your shoulder is always a good check that should be done before switching lanes, but I sometimes get very startled by someone being there that I never suspected.

Anyway, I read this article in Popular Mechanics the other day and am trying it out. It’s taking some getting used to (because I can’t see the sides of my car like I’m accustom to) but I think it REALLY makes a difference. I’m still testing it but so far I’m liking it.

The article is here …

Rear View Mirrors Adjustment - Blind Spot Fix - Free Mechanic Advice - Car Repair - Popular Mechanics

The pictures in the article aren’t quite right, but the procedure to adjust the mirrors is the key.

What do you guys think? :shrug:

- z
covered but search here is< reliable.

One should never turn head while driving, only parking.

1 Should never be able to see any part of your car in o/s mirrors in normal driving posture.

2.Turn i/s mirror (if not exige) to your right, so you can't see yourself, angled behind the pass seat

a. If exige, buy sawzall

3. go to pkg lot, stop car w/rows behind you.

4. Adjust mirrors to minimize blind spot, using the cars behind as reference.

a. Buy Multivex mirrors tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The simplest, cheapest, and best solution is to buy small, circular convex mirrors and attach them to your side view mirrors. No more blind spot! They also greatly help with parking. These cost $2 at wal-mart and IMHO don't look bad on the car. Seems like a no-brainer. Easily the best mod I've done on the car.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The simplest, cheapest, and best solution is to buy small, circular convex mirrors and attach them to your side view mirrors. No more blind spot! They also greatly help with parking. These cost $2 at wal-mart and IMHO don't look bad on the car. Seems like a no-brainer. Easily the best mod I've done on the car.
I did this, as well. Overall, it is an improvement. However, it takes extra time to check the new mirrors and the stock mirrors.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
That is a solution, but it isn't the simplest or cheapest. The simplest and cheapest is to adjust your stock mirrors outward as the article states.

Your solution is less simple and less cheap.

xtn

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
That is a solution, but it isn't the simplest or cheapest. The simplest and cheapest is to adjust your stock mirrors outward as the article states.

Your solution is less simple and less cheap.
But the BEST solution is to get a set of MultiVex mirrors. Although the round "blind spot" mirrors, work, they provide such a small distorted view that you can't determine what you are really seeing most of the time (although just see that there is something there is all you really need). Additionally, about half of what yo see is the side of your car (door), the ground next to your car, and the sky)

But the Multivex mirrors provide a wide view that is proportionally distorted as it moves to the outside of the mirror. They are useful as a side mirror and still provide a much bigger field of view. It doesn't waste field of view on the side of your car, the ground, or the sky. Just what's beside you and what's in the blind spot. Seriously, the results are hard to describe, but they are worth every penny.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
But the BEST solution is to get a set of MultiVex mirrors. Although the round "blind spot" mirrors, work, they provide such a small distorted view that you can't determine what you are really seeing most of the time (although just see that there is something there is all you really need). Additionally, about half of what yo see is the side of your car (door), the ground next to your car, and the sky)

But the Multivex mirrors provide a wide view that is proportionally distorted as it moves to the outside of the mirror. They are useful as a side mirror and still provide a much bigger field of view. It doesn't waste field of view on the side of your car, the ground, or the sky. Just what's beside you and what's in the blind spot. Seriously, the results are hard to describe, but they are worth every penny.
Agree in every detail. They absolutely are the single best mod on the car.

xtn

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
:popcorn::wave:

...so... these oem sideview mirrors DO adjust? Mine just flex and snap back into place every time after making a "ratcheting" sound that makes me wary of really yanking them around. What is the right way to adjust these?

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
:popcorn::wave:

...so... these oem sideview mirrors DO adjust? Mine just flex and snap back into place every time after making a "ratcheting" sound that makes me wary of really yanking them around. What is the right way to adjust these?
They do seem to flex back when trying to adjust them, but only part of the way that you pusted them.
It takes a little to get used to that, but it's not all that difficult.
Just play around a bit until you have the right position.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts