The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So every time I walk into the office in the morning the admins always get a hopeful look in their eyes and ask if I brought the Lotus. I usually tell them "no" as I need the Lexus for work.

When I do bring it in, I usually park it right up front and they go crazy over it. They go as far as shooing people away from it (they'll run outside) and keeping an eye on it all day. I like that it's constantly being watched :D

So I brought it in today since it's 72 degrees and sunny. I had the top off of it and they went absolutely nuts. They both said they "had" to go for a ride in it so I said "ok" (kind of jokingly) and went into my office. 10 minutes later... my phone rings. I see it's my admin. She's like: "Well? When are we going for that ride?"

Me: "haha ok... I'll be right out."

So in the 3 minutes it takes me to finish an e-mail and go out there, she had already gathered all the admins in the area (4 of them). I take them all out one at a time and they absolutely loved it. It was like an amusement ride. I finally go back to get the 4th woman and she hops in and tells me to take her to one of our other buildings. It's not very far so I obliged. When we get there... there are 3 more women waiting outside!!!

So that's my "celebrity" Lotus moment of the day :cool:

My favorite moment was passing a huge box truck on the 2nd cam with the top off... oh man did it sound good. The PPE header makes a world of difference in the sound with the VVTL-i engaged.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
When I first bought my Exige I was still working in the back-office of my company (still making good money but not like some at my co.) and I drove the car to work every now and then. One day a Portfolio Manager (who I work with directly and have a great rapport with) and a few analysts were walking by and the analyst said "Whose car is that?" and the PM replied "It's actually Evan's car" and the analyst goes "Sheesh, maybe I should move to Portfolio Administration!" ...the PM replied "...I'm on the board so I could probably have that arranged for you."

One of the other analysts who was there came to my desk and told me... it was a good chuckle.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
The owners of the family-owned internet billing company I use to work for has several Bently Continnetal GTs, a Rolls Rocye Phantom, and an assortment V12 Benzes and top-of-the lines Lexus. My Elise generally got more attention even though I took the effort to park on the opposite side of the building. I don't think they were very happy about that -or the fact my previous car was a Boxster. Ironcially, about a month afer I traded in a Yamaha R1 for a Ducati 999, I was suddenly laid off.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shortly thereafter, I worked for a hospital with a large multi-level parking lot. One day, one of my co-work comes in and starts asking everyone in our department, "who's Lotus was that in the parking lot." I silently walked away. You never know how deep jealous can run.
Yeah... it doesn't help that I'm probably the youngest person in this building too :eek:

There are only 8 of us in here from engineering/operations (I fall between the two organizations). The rest of this building is finance and supply chain. They already somewhat resent us because we are always making all sorts of noise, flying remote control helicopters around, playing with gyroscopes, shooting foam darts at each other, etc.

Most of the other cars in the parking lot are Camrys and other practical things. There are two Porsches (911 turbo, Boxter S)... and they both belong to other engineers.

The finance people must think we don't do any work and get paid too much TADTS

·
Registered
81 Posts
I get the same attention from our security guards at my building which gives me piece of mind as it sits in the parking lot. There is also a rather large lady in my building who has been asking for a ride. Honestly, I am worried about her being able to fit in the car and I don't want to embarass her. The last time someone who was a little on the heavy side tried to get into my Lotus, everyone in the office lined up against the windows to see if he could actually fit. Thankfully he was able to get in.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Yah, it's pretty nuts how a ~$35k Elise's gets as much positive (and negative) attention as a if it were worth $135k.

I gave my superior at one place I work at sometimes, a ride in my car the first week I got it, and still work for them thank goodness. (but get regular envious quips from the guys who have wives and kids to support). But I try to remind them that I paid only a bit more than they spend on their fully loaded Priuses.

·
Registered
391 Posts
So every time I walk into the office in the morning the admins always get a hopeful look in their eyes and ask if I brought the Lotus. I usually tell them "no" as I need the Lexus for work.

When I do bring it in, I usually park it right up front and they go crazy over it. They go as far as shooing people away from it (they'll run outside) and keeping an eye on it all day. I like that it's constantly being watched :D

So I brought it in today since it's 72 degrees and sunny. I had the top off of it and they went absolutely nuts. They both said they "had" to go for a ride in it so I said "ok" (kind of jokingly) and went into my office. 10 minutes later... my phone rings. I see it's my admin. She's like: "Well? When are we going for that ride?"

Me: "haha ok... I'll be right out."

So in the 3 minutes it takes me to finish an e-mail and go out there, she had already gathered all the admins in the area (4 of them). I take them all out one at a time and they absolutely loved it. It was like an amusement ride. I finally go back to get the 4th woman and she hops in and tells me to take her to one of our other buildings. It's not very far so I obliged. When we get there... there are 3 more women waiting outside!!!

So that's my "celebrity" Lotus moment of the day :cool:

My favorite moment was passing a huge box truck on the 2nd cam with the top off... oh man did it sound good. The PPE header makes a world of difference in the sound with the VVTL-i engaged.
Are these woman hot? If so let's see some pictures. ;)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
^^^ $35K? Only if you're buying a well-used model. It's still not built or designed like a $35K car that's for sure :D

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
^^^ $35K? Only if you're buying a well-used model. It's still not built or designed like a $35K car that's for sure :D
Well I was just referring to the Elise that I bought and my own experience.
(it's nice to get more attention than cars costing 3x as much)

yah,. it's designed and built like a ... Lotus!
Which thank god it aint like my [email protected]
- even my mechanic is suggesting I sell the thing, cause he's sick of working on [email protected]#

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Today, the mailperson comes into the office and asks "what ever happened to the yellow Lotus that used to be parked here?" She was told "The owner sold it". Next "Then what happened to the pretty gray one that used to be in the parking lot?" "Oh... that was Jacob's and he is back in LA."

Note mail lady would appear to be the LAST person you would expect to be interested in Lotus cars.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I don't know why you bothered scanning and posting the invoice for your car. I was just referring to how much many of our Elise's are worth.
but I hate to break it to you, while you paid that much for it, it's no longer a $50,000 car. :wave:

But that touches again on what we're talkin about,
even the the used Elise's out there going for $30k are often thought of as being exotic supercars by common folks who're unfamiliar with them- including Admins.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I don't know why you bothered scanning and posting the invoice for your car. I was just referring to how much many of our Elise's are worth.
but I hate to break it to you, while you paid that much for it, it's no longer a $50,000 car. :wave:

But that touches again on what we're talkin about,
even the the used Elise's out there going for $30k are often thought of as being exotic supercars by common folks who're unfamiliar with them- including Admins.
Dude, it's a $50K car what's your point? Sticker is sticker. You can't compare a resale price on a 2-3 year old car to sticker on another. That's what people are trying to say. Duh!:no:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
$37,500, LSS, HT, Touring. 1900 miles (now at 24,200miles) about 24 months ago. I'm happy with the deal I got. :)

Fun is having people ask how I can afford a $150-200k car, one as far as $330k "cuz it costs the same as the Murcielago Roadster!" I loved that one.

It's also worth more just in terms of how it makes people feel when you have them flop in it for a few minutes, give them a ride, or just brightens their day when they see something on the road that isn't just another appliance. Some of those intangibles are worth more than the sticker price. Too bad the resale doesn't agree.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Dude, it's a $50K car what's your point? Sticker is sticker. You can't compare a resale price on a 2-3 year old car to sticker on another. That's what people are trying to say. Duh!:no:
Not to get into a pissing match but...

Well treated '05's were going for less than $35K in '06 http://lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30187
calling an '05 a $50K car is like calling a '88 Cadillac Allante a $50K car. It once was, but no longer is.

THAT said, this fact validates the original point even more.. A car that can be had for in the 30's is still mistaken for being worth something in the 100's. pretty cool. ;)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
:clap:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Who's comparing???
someone with a '05 Elise made a comment about attention his car got, and I made a simple comment reflecting on my own experience with my own 05 Elise. - which I paid $35k for. (last summer). - and how much these 05 cars can be had for if someone wanted one. - and what I tell people who think I paid many times that amount.
who said I was referring to msrp of a brand new Elise in the first place??
I'm talking oranges so why are you guys bringing up apples.

It's all utterly subjective.

The guy I bought my Elise from paid over $50k for it, yes, but I bought it for $35k. Is it still a $50k car because other people paid $50k for theirs? (as someone tried to point out) NO!
why?
Because that's about as illogical and silly as me telling people that my '91 300zx is a $30k car - because that's what it sold for when new, and what new Z's are selling for. :thwack:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Guys seriously, let's drop this and let the guy enjoy the attention he's getting.

Back to the original subject do you have any pics and are you getting anywhere with these ladies?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yah, it's pretty nuts how a ~$35k Elise's gets as much positive (and negative) attention as a if it were worth $135k.

I gave my superior at one place I work at sometimes, a ride in my car the first week I got it, and still work for them thank goodness. (but get regular envious quips from the guys who have wives and kids to support). But I try to remind them that I paid only a bit more than they spend on their fully loaded Priuses.
Can you get this one for 35K?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts