The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a Lotus by fall but I would first like to know the advantages and disadvantages of the Lotus.

I also heard there is no power steering?
How much does his affect the driving experience?

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
For "normal" people the disadvantages so far outweigh the advantages that they'd never look twice at our little cars. Just look to see what Consumer reports has to say about it rotfl It's hot, rough, uncomfortable, noisy, fragile, expensive to repair, insure, and care for... but everyone here loves them :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
There's really only one way to know if the Elise is going to be a good fit for you: Test Drive! That and reading everything in the Uberpost

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Advantages : Anything to do with handling, driving on track, etc.

Disadvantages : Everything else.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Advantages : Anything to do with handling, driving on track, etc.

Disadvantages : Everything else.
+1000000

Disadvantages: It's British, therefore unreliable, warranty repairs are hard to come by (especially powertrain), it's loud and uncomfortable, it's fragile, the stereo sucks, the a/c sucks, ice mode, stupid jack points, all the hardware is allen/torx, no power steering (yes I'm serious), slow steering rack, parts are ridiculously over-priced (800 per plastic headlight cover, just the cover), no front camber, ridiculous "hood" prop from the factory, uses weird viscosity oil, the top design is ridiculous and cheap, it's hard to get in and out of, the 12V cig port doesn't fit any electronics designed for the US, ECU tells on you to LCUSA, LCUSA montiors these boards but don't take any of our suggestions, there are far too many bolts/fastners for all the underpanel pieces, stock center console/ac surround are ugly and cheap, factory key for 05/06 is cheap looking, alarm sucks, and finally they didn't use the Honda K20, that's about all for now.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
the 12V cig port doesn't fit any electronics designed for the US
Huh? My emergency air compressor, my Mio GPS, my phone charger and my laptop power adapter all fit fine. What are you talking about?

xtn

PS - Oh yeah I'll list a disadvantage nobody else has mentioned: Wheel bolt torque is specified as 77 pound-feet, but my torque wrench is only marked with even numbers. :confused:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I would say that the Lotus doesnt have many advantages (besides looks) over most cars.

Get an S2000 if you dont want nearly every part of your car to be a streetable race car.

These cars for for racers, or people who want others to think they are a racer.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
About 300miles of ownership for me so far. It is by far the most focused road car available today. It is only right for you if you value handeling over anything else. Hell, Its not even that fast in a straight line. On my second day of ownership I took it to an autocross where I was I was dumbfounded by its prowess. I cant imagine any street car more enjoyable to autocross.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
No cupholders, No cruise control, No Lambo doors, Doesn't handle for crap, Noone ever notices it, other Lotus owners are not friendly OR supportive at all, OH and their website is TOO addictive...you have to force yourself to stay away !....

Did I forget anything ? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I am surprised no one mentioned that the car is made of aluminum, which can be transmutated into gold. How's that for an advantage, Mr. Alchemist?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Advantages: Its a Lotus
Disadvantages: Its a Lotus

Seriously, go test drive the car... you will know right away if this car is for you.. also read all you can about it.

the truth is this is not a "real" car as you would expect, not a good Daily driver. if you are looking for any type of comfort... buy something else, like an S2000 or something.
Dont Be mistaken though... it will take your money, cause you a bunch of problems, but man when you are riding, its pure bliss, :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
You need to test drive the car. The Elise/Exige are not user friendly - some previous posts have been a little hard on the car. Bottom line it's the best driving experience money can buy - there are few other cars that will connect you to the road as well and most of them cost many times more. For me getting in and out is the only pain - but it's worth every embarrassing second. Once your in, the car fits like a glove - I've been in mine for over 4 hours straight. I rush home from work just to drive it around after rush hour when everyone is eating dinner.

I think the AC is fine, the rack is perfect (no need for power assist on a car this light), it does get hot but so do F1 cars, it's loud but in a good way - there's nothing more intoxicating than having a screaming supercharger 8 inches behind your head, my VW has just as many, if not more, fasteners on it's belly cover - get used to it, it has a Toyota engine designed and built by Yamaha (you can beat the crap out of it and not break it unless you over-rev on a downshift), the engine is very modifiable (the entire drivetrain is straight out of a Celica GTS), there are no bumpers and the body panels crack easily - don't parallel park and avoid people who tailgate on the highway, my passenger window leaks when I wash the car - don't care, and lastly there are many words misspelled in the owners manual like "colour" ;-p
-john.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Advantages and disadvantages compared to what?

It is one of the most usable exotic cars out there.

It is not the best choice if you just want to get from point A to point B.

It makes a decent track car.

I think you need to know yourself more before you can ask the question.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Oh I thought of another negative:

It's no good for a tailgate party. No pop-out bbq. No room for big ice chests. No... uh... tailgate.

xtn

·
Registered
389 Posts
Seriously, go test drive the car... you will know right away if this car is for you.. also read all you can about it.
+100.

When you test drive it, really test it, and you will either be trembling with excitement when you are done, and you will think, "I don't care about any disadvantages - I WANT THIS CAR!!" ...

Or you will not enjoy it all that much, like if you're on some sort of mind-numbing drugs (that's the only way I can think of :shrug:), and you will still be really concerned about the disadvantages, in which case it's not for you.

So GO TRY ONE. :shift:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts