The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Elise Driver
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to reduce lift in the wheel arches by cutting vents into the front and rear clams, like on this car, but I can't find any information/instructions, has anyone done this? I think it looks better (and much cheaper) than Reverie's Arch Louvre Full Set :facepalm

Attachments

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,369 Posts
While the pic above looks better than the Reverie ducts, I still think it looks homemade, like an afterthought. An irreversible mod like this will also diminish the value of the vehicle in my opinion. The OP asked for advice, I gave mine.

San

·
Premium Member
11,687 Posts
OP, under what circumstances do you experience lift?

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
While the pic above looks better than the Reverie ducts, I still think it looks homemade, like an afterthought. An irreversible mod like this will also diminish the value of the vehicle in my opinion. The OP asked for advice, I gave mine.

San
I can't speak for the OP, but as I read the original post, I don't see any request for advice about whether or not to create arch louvers, just on how to do it.

·
Elise Driver
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Look at Elise and Exige track cars. Do you see any vents in the tops of the clams? I don't.
I don't either, which I don't understand, because everyone is trying to squeeze out every last bit of performance and this mod looks good and works! Why else would it be on the world's fastest car, Koenigsegg Agera R?

·
7,369 Posts
Look at Elise and Exige track cars. Do you see any vents in the tops of the clams? I don't.
I don't either, which I don't understand, because everyone is trying to squeeze out every last bit of performance and this mod looks good and works! Why else would it be on the world's fastest car, Koenigsegg Agera R?
It may be an issue on a particular car that can attain a very high speed. I think you're trying to address an issue that quite honestly you don't have.

San

·
Registered
711 Posts
San, as much as I really enjoy your blunt yet factual replies to many of the topics on here, I'll have to side with jasondrew. If the OP wants to destroy his clams, he can go ahead and do so. As far as the "question" of is there any lift at speed? There is, but does the effect of said lift influence the car enough to run slower lap times? Maybe(doubtful), and that money is better spent on instruction to get faster lap times.

I too love to mod cars while I should be modding the driver. He want's to spend that hard earned money, so let him.

·
7,369 Posts
San, as much as I really enjoy your blunt yet factual replies to many of the topics on here, I'll have to side with jasondrew. If the OP wants to destroy his clams, he can go ahead and do so. As far as the "question" of is there any lift at speed? There is, but does the effect of said lift influence the car enough to run slower lap times? Maybe(doubtful), and that money is better spent on instruction to get faster lap times.

I too love to mod cars while I should be modding the driver. He want's to spend that hard earned money, so let him.
The OP can do whatever he wants. Trust me, I wasn't blunt in this thread.

San

·
Elise Driver
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Worst case scenario, it doesn't help improve downforce (even though a respectable company like Reverie say it does "positive vent design draws out*air that enters wheel wells*uses aero effect to exhaust airgain downforce without adding drag) But can it hurt anything, other than the wheel liners need to be removed?

·
7,369 Posts
Worst case scenario, it doesn't help improve downforce (even though a respectable company like Reverie say it does "positive vent design draws out*air that enters wheel wells*uses aero effect to exhaust airgain downforce without adding drag) But can it hurt anything, other than the wheel liners need to be removed?
I think the only thing it will hurt is possibly resale value later. I think the Reverie vents are hideous (that's blunt). I think the pics you posted look OK.

San

·
Elise Driver
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great, so I am right back where I started?! :facepalm Does anyone know any one who has this mod that can get me a template or some instructions from Reverie?:scratchhead:

·
7,369 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
FWIW, I'd think that the last word in Exige aero would be the Adrian Newey Exige: 2008 Red Bull Lotus Exige GTR/ GT3 for sale, at least in the abstract. I'm certain that there's a lot more going on under the skin, but he did put various vents in the fenders, on the top and sides.

Not that I recommend cutting up an otherwise clean Elise/Exige unless you've already done a bunch of other un-reversible mods.

·
7,369 Posts
FWIW, I'd think that the last word in Exige aero would be the Adrian Newey Exige: 2008 Red Bull Lotus Exige GTR/ GT3 for sale, at least in the abstract. I'm certain that there's a lot more going on under the skin, but he did put various vents in the fenders, on the top and sides.
I don't see any in the locations the OP is talking about (top of clams relative to wheel wells).

San

1 - 20 of 52 Posts