The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Owner of a proud 07 exige s. Lately however, during idle in warmer weather, the car stalls. Last week i was in west covina getting a jamba, and the car stalls while i was backing in the parking spot.
My initial impression was that the exhaust i own(arquay ti) could of been the cause. Has anyone experienced this ??
Or is that there isn't enough air feeding into the engine during idle or something?
If i went ahead and had the dealer raise the RPM would that be safe?
I hope i can get this resolved before the weather gets any hotter.

Geo

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
could be a vacuum leak:confused: which is a boost leak if you are on it :crazyeyes

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Get a normally aspirated Elise or an 06 Exige, they are far more reliable and don't have these problems.:panic:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Unfortunately this is common. If you do a search you will find several threads that involve this issue. There is a reflash that is supposed to address this and a service action but for some of us, it hasn't worked. CharlieX's Gotham is not supposed to have this issue - so perhaps that is a good excuse to ante up for that.

I can tell you that your exhaust is not the culprit. Mine did it from day 1 with the stock exhaust and with a stage 2. Some believe it has to do with the fans, some think it is an AC issue --- I don't think it is either and is ecu related.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately this is common. If you do a search you will find several threads that involve this issue. There is a reflash that is supposed to address this and a service action but for some of us, it hasn't worked. CharlieX's Gotham is not supposed to have this issue - so perhaps that is a good excuse to ante up for that.

I can tell you that your exhaust is not the culprit. Mine did it from day 1 with the stock exhaust and with a stage 2. Some believe it has to do with the fans, some think it is an AC issue --- I don't think it is either and is ecu related.
Hey vishus,

Have you tried to raise your rpm level? I would think that would resolve the issue since the car only stalls when the idle drops.
Has anyone tried to troubleshoot this issue?
and thanks for sharing your experience.:bow:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm in a 06 NA Exige, it's never stalled out, but the idle was ridiculously uneven for the first couple of minutes after starting.

Got the ECU "fix" and while it happens much less often, it still gets wonky on idle occasionally. I just let er sit for 15-30 seconds before putting in gear every time I turn the car on, which keeps the issue to a minimum.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Does yours stall only after going uphill?

Mine only stalls when I go up our steep driveway and pull in the garage, it will run for a few seconds and then stall... its weird because it looks like it knows I am going to shut it off.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Get a normally aspirated Elise or an 06 Exige, they are far more reliable and don't have these problems.:panic:
i dunno, the extra midrange power and not having to wait around 3 hours for the second cam to kick in might be worth the occasional stalling :p

i had the reflash done and had an intake leak fixed, and it's still occasionally stumbling. i'll be taking it back in the next couple weeks for an oil change so i'll have them take another look at it then.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Fortunately I never had this issue on my Exige S 07 though we just had extremely high temps here. But I also experienced a slight drop by 100 or even some more rpms when turning AC on. But this is normal I think since I've also seen this with other cars but could be the reason of stalling when your idle is already marginal.
This reminds me to a colleague who has the same problem with a Volkswagen. His workaround is resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery for some minutes. Maybe you should give this a try.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does yours stall only after going uphill?

Mine only stalls when I go up our steep driveway and pull in the garage, it will run for a few seconds and then stall... its weird because it looks like it knows I am going to shut it off.
ha! your totally right on the dollar. It does stall at times when it knows that i am about to shut it off. Good insight.
But this doesnt answer my question.... Do you guys think i should raise the RPM level a little bit?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
get Gotham installed. car hasn't stalled once.

·
Banned
874 Posts
+1 for raising the rpm

·
Registered
570 Posts
+1 for raising the rpm
how are you doing this with drive by wire? mine idles fine unless it has just been at speed. this got better transiently after a new exhaust system but now it makes the car nearly undrivable.

·
Registered
769 Posts
My '08 Exige S240 had idle (and cold start) issues when new, an occasional wonky idle, and occasional stalls. It also threw a "system too rich, bank 1" MIL (P0172) a couple times, the CE light would turn on during the wonky idle. Turned out a vacuum line was disconnected. Unfortunately I don't know what line exactly, the service tech at the dealer found it during my 1k service, and told me that it was only visible from below. Point being, a vacuum leak can definitely cause this problem. I assume I got the "rich" MIL because the leak was post SC, and post MAF, so it was actually leaking air out, rather than sucking air in, during idle.

BTW, I wish there was a way to raise the idle speed, but on the drive-by-wire system there's no idle air bypass adjustment on the throttle body, so as far as I know the only way to raise the idle would be to reprogram the ECU.

HTH,

·
Registered
570 Posts
Exactly, there is no way to set the idle with the exception of with the ecu, the is no idle bypass valve. The ecu uses the throttle valve to control the idle.

Also, in the prior posts there was thought to be a link to A/C. I have the problem in my car and don't have the A/C option.

ken

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
My '08 Exige S240 had idle (and cold start) issues when new, an occasional wonky idle, and occasional stalls. It also threw a "system too rich, bank 1" MIL (P0172) a couple times, the CE light would turn on during the wonky idle. Turned out a vacuum line was disconnected. Unfortunately I don't know what line exactly, the service tech at the dealer found it during my 1k service, and told me that it was only visible from below. Point being, a vacuum leak can definitely cause this problem. I assume I got the "rich" MIL because the leak was post SC, and post MAF, so it was actually leaking air out, rather than sucking air in, during idle.

BTW, I wish there was a way to raise the idle speed, but on the drive-by-wire system there's no idle air bypass adjustment on the throttle body, so as far as I know the only way to raise the idle would be to reprogram the ECU.

HTH,
AustinP --- you're absolutely right about the possibility of a vacuum leak being the culprit. And there has been speculation about this in previous threads. It was identified that there are some Exiges that left the factory with a hose that was either loose of disconnected. It goes into a T junction near the ECU. Just when it was looking like the culprit was identified, some of us who have been experiencing this problem verified that our lines were correctly connected.

It is intrigueing that your vacuum leak was visible from underneath. I wish I knew what that was to check. Most are on top or the sides and accessible from top. :shrug:

You are also correct about being unable to adjust the idle without an ECU change on DBW cars (+06 and later).

Lotus Talk (aka Elise Talk) can be a terrific resource for us to discuss our issues but I find that sometimes this really isn't the best venue for technical or detailed dialogue. This very matter about dying supercharged cars has been complicated by others who don't have supercharged cars or dont thoroughly read the entire thread.

I have tried to follow this issue as carefully as possible but I find I have to dismiss some speculation or suggestions as they do not pertain at all. I can summarize and say that:

1. There does not appear to be a correlation to the AC as some have previously speculated. There are examples of cars that have stalled when the AC is not on and no fans are on - including in cold weather and climates.

2. There does seem to be something to the idea that the car is on an angle and slowing or coming to a complete stop. Why? Well the vacuum leak idea would lend to this but how is it that some cars (including mine) seem to have all the vacuum hoses connected and ok (to the best of my ability to tell - again there may be someone out there who can shed some light on weather or not there are some hoses not evidently visible from the top and what they are).

3. There have been some Exige S's that have had a gasket leak - this tends to result in a oil leak. This is not to be confused with the dipstick gasket leak --- not the same thing. I am sure this could create a vacuum problem but again - not all cars experiencing this have this.

4. It seems everyone who has had the Gotham installed who had the problem has had the issue cured. I have not read one single Gotham customer who has had their car stall after it was modified. BTW - CharlieX has indicated he never experienced stalling with his car - so therefore whatever seems to be right about his car may have been copied into his ECU tune.

There are differences in the early 07 S's and late 07 S's. I did read once that there is something different about the headers or precat exhaust. I have not had verification of this. So what I can't figure out is if it is primarily late or early 07's having this problem. But now, in this thread, it sounds like some current 08 240 owners are having this too. So I think we can safely say that there may be something going on with the intercooled cars. But I can't say so again, I don't want to contribute to something unsubstantiated.

I hope this helps because the dealers and the supposed reflash intended to fix this aren't working. :wallbang:

·
Registered
71 Posts
AustinP --- you're absolutely right about the possibility of a vacuum leak being the culprit. And there has been speculation about this in previous threads. It was identified that there are some Exiges that left the factory with a hose that was either loose of disconnected. It goes into a T junction near the ECU. Just when it was looking like the culprit was identified, some of us who have been experiencing this problem verified that our lines were correctly connected.

It is intrigueing that your vacuum leak was visible from underneath. I wish I knew what that was to check. Most are on top or the sides and accessible from top. :shrug:

You are also correct about being unable to adjust the idle without an ECU change on DBW cars (+06 and later).

Lotus Talk (aka Elise Talk) can be a terrific resource for us to discuss our issues but I find that sometimes this really isn't the best venue for technical or detailed dialogue. This very matter about dying supercharged cars has been complicated by others who don't have supercharged cars or dont thoroughly read the entire thread.

I have tried to follow this issue as carefully as possible but I find I have to dismiss some speculation or suggestions as they do not pertain at all. I can summarize and say that:

1. There does not appear to be a correlation to the AC as some have previously speculated. There are examples of cars that have stalled when the AC is not on and no fans are on - including in cold weather and climates.

2. There does seem to be something to the idea that the car is on an angle and slowing or coming to a complete stop. Why? Well the vacuum leak idea would lend to this but how is it that some cars (including mine) seem to have all the vacuum hoses connected and ok (to the best of my ability to tell - again there may be someone out there who can shed some light on weather or not there are some hoses not evidently visible from the top and what they are).

3. There have been some Exige S's that have had a gasket leak - this tends to result in a oil leak. This is not to be confused with the dipstick gasket leak --- not the same thing. I am sure this could create a vacuum problem but again - not all cars experiencing this have this.

4. It seems everyone who has had the Gotham installed who had the problem has had the issue cured. I have not read one single Gotham customer who has had their car stall after it was modified. BTW - CharlieX has indicated he never experienced stalling with his car - so therefore whatever seems to be right about his car may have been copied into his ECU tune.

There are differences in the early 07 S's and late 07 S's. I did read once that there is something different about the headers or precat exhaust. I have not had verification of this. So what I can't figure out is if it is primarily late or early 07's having this problem. But now, in this thread, it sounds like some current 08 240 owners are having this too. So I think we can safely say that there may be something going on with the intercooled cars. But I can't say so again, I don't want to contribute to something unsubstantiated.

I hope this helps because the dealers and the supposed reflash intended to fix this aren't working. :wallbang:
Bump, great post. I've personally been having the same issues and I own a 08 240. For the record, I did have the stalling issues pre-modding the car. The only problems I was encountering was non-stable idle and the car stalling on steep hills but after I did the 2K service where the mechanic reflashed the ECU, these problems were eliminated.

As for stalling, I'm having a very difficult time keeping the car from not stalling every time I reach a stop light. I recently installed the Larini De Cat along with the Arqray Single Tip Ti exhaust and its been stalling non-stop. No matter cold or hot, it does the same thing.

I've tried to let the car do the "ECU Learn" but its been more then a week now and it definitely doesn't work in my case. I've tried to reflash the ECU but that didn't work either. The car would try to save itself by blipping the throttle when it drops to 500-600 RPM, however its pretty annoying when it pops to 2K - 3K RPM then back down whenever I'm fully stopped, and quiet often it still stalls. Its getting extremely annoying and I've having second doubts about going back to stock because it happens every time I'm at the stop light. I would love to see a solution or insights from anyone who is experiencing similar problem.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
its usually exhaust vacuum/vacuum leaks that cause it to have issues, then when you fix them you have to let it relearn, you really need to go over it throughly as they can be difficult to locate.

raising the idle probably won't fix it, thats not what the problem is, its the rich <> lean transition that goes on, causes the car to stumble and cut out.

data log the fuel trims while its happening, see whats going on there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
its usually exhaust vacuum/vacuum leaks that cause it to have issues, then when you fix them you have to let it relearn, you really need to go over it throughly as they can be difficult to locate.

raising the idle probably won't fix it, thats not what the problem is, its the rich <> lean transition that goes on, causes the car to stumble and cut out.

data log the fuel trims while its happening, see whats going on there.
Some have suggested to cut off two coils per spring on the cat that attaches to the motor which apparently fixes the issue. What is your insight on this? Its tough because I'm located in Canada and to find help on our cars is pretty difficult. I don't know where else I can go to help solve this problem except the dealer. If only you were closer...

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
its its leaking there it might fix it, if it isn't, it won't, the fuel trims ought to give you some insight, but you can usually see a leak in the exhaust since it discolours the area.

unfortunately there are many reasons as to why the stalling occurs, there is no one fix, it can be back pressure related, lighter flywheel, leaks, old firmware, low voltage, the lack of SAI in the engine means that the emissions stuff is software, so making sure nothings leaking is imperative.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts