The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I just installed the Proalloy water to air intercooler. Today I'm putting on RLS mandrel bent ic tubes (try'in to offset some of that water weight). I purchased some of that cool gold heat wrap tape that Casey from ForcedFed put on his car (see pic below). My question is, I know I should wrap the tube that comes after the IC (the cooled charge) to keep the engine bay heat from re-heat soaking the tube. My question is regarding the tube that goes from the supercharger to the ic. It's got the hot charge but is it hotter than the engine bay temp and therefore I should leave the heat wrap OFF so some of the ic tube heat can dissipate out of the tube or is the engine bay temp higher and I SHOULD wrap it to keep the higher outside temps from heating the charge even more than the supercharger did?

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
If it was me, I would (and have) taken an IR temp gauge and check the temps.

No sense in wrapping the gold foil (designed to reduce radiated heat from being absorbed, not an insulator) if the tube is hotter than the bay.
But what do I know.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, yeah, that would be the comprehensive way of doing it. But I dont have the temp gauge to measure the pre intercooler charge temp (or the engine bay temps for that matter) and, frankly, too damn lazy to go buy the stuff to figure it out myself so I was hoping someone out there had done a similar mod and had an idea. if I don't hear from anyone by tomorrow, I'm going to leave it off the hot tube becauce, intuitively, I think the engine bay, at speed, with air flowing up thru the ducts is probably cooler than the hot charged tube.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Hardly comprehensive. If you don't want to spend $45 on an IR temp device, then touch the tubes after a run (carefully). Are they hot? Can you leave your hand on them?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hardly comprehensive. If you don't want to spend $45 on an IR temp device, then touch the tubes after a run (carefully). Are they hot? Can you leave your hand on them?
Pre-chargecooler tube, very hot. Feels hotter than engine bay air. After chargecooler tube, actually feels cool. This one get's wrapped for sure. The reason I used "comprehensive" is that I don't so much care EXACTLY what the pre-IC sharge temp is, only that it is definitely cooler then the engine bay temps of a hard running Exige (wich my non-comprehensive touch test indicates it is). I was hoping someone HAD taken these to measurements and could confirm that my assumtion is correct.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I understand. My point is that it does not need the exact temps. If there was an IR gauge that said "this is hotter than ambient" and "This is not hotter than ambient" than you would only need that.

My point is that your assumption is easily verifiable even if nobody else has taken the time.

I did not on my Elise, but I have on the Noble. But unfortunately that does not help you. So if anything, my replies serve to bump up the thread to see if someone has.

Me.. I would look into insulating the pre-chargecooler pipe because I don't want to heat up the engine bay more (which transfers more heat to the other stuff). Then I would insulate the post-charge air, because I don't want the air heated up either. I would not use the gold reflective tape there, but real insulating wrap. Though the gold tape looks awesome. I am installing it on the Noble (outside of air intake box) where it can make sense to reflect radiant heat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts