The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be leaving town for a number months on business. OI cannot take my Evora with me and my family will also be away during this time so no one will be home to drive it. I can potentially employ a trusted friend to take it for drives here and there if that is needed for example. I can also put a batter trickle charge on it. Is leaving the Evora sitting for a time like this a problem like it might be with an Exige or Elise? Anything I should be preparing to do or thinking about before leaving my Evora behind beside missing it terribly?

Thanks for your sage advice folks

·
Registered
632 Posts
I am going to be leaving town for a number months on business. OI cannot take my Evora with me and my family will also be away during this time so no one will be home to drive it. I can potentially employ a trusted friend to take it for drives here and there if that is needed for example. I can also put a batter trickle charge on it. Is leaving the Evora sitting for a time like this a problem like it might be with an Exige or Elise? Anything I should be preparing to do or thinking about before leaving my Evora behind beside missing it terribly?

Thanks for your sage advice folks
I’ve done this multiple times as I traveled for work for periods of 4 months. Just overinflate the tires per manual recommendation, fill up the gas tank and put the battery on a trickle charger and you will have no problems. If you can’t trickle charge, you need somebody to start it up every couple of weeks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Living in a wintery climate, I've had to store vehicles for 5-6 months every year. A few tips I follow. (others may or may not agree)
-trickle charger for sure
-full tank of fresh fuel with stabilizer added
-change the oil
-over inflate the tires and/or tire pillows
-cover is possible (indoors)
-depending on your humidity level you may want to put some desiccant inside
-are there rodent concerns?
-storage insurance
-remember that 3 mo. storage may easily turn into 6 or more prepare for that (i,e, possibly change brake/clutch fluid too)

good luck

·
Registered
632 Posts
It’s 3 months it’s not like you’re leaving it for an extended period it’ll be just fine for 3 months even without doing any of those things.
Except the trickle charger. The battery will definitely die without being started and run or trickle charged over 3 months.

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
If you have the trusted friend drive it from time to time, make sure they turn on the AC to circulate everything in the system and lube the seals.

If you have an issue getting the trusted friend to drive your Evora, I could be your trusted friend and take care of that for you depending of course on where you live.:p

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
It’s 3 months it’s not like you’re leaving it for an extended period it’ll be just fine for 3 months even without doing any of those things besides a trickle
this. or unplug the battery and enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
303 Posts

-change the oil
I've always tried to change the oil BEFORE the first drive in the spring- after letting it sit for winter. I read an article somewhere that mentioned condensation that might accumulate in the pan/engine over the winter would be removed with the old oil. If I find the link, I'll edit it in later...

Anyway, I found it interesting and have modeled my oil change intervals around it.

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
893 Posts
With regard to changing the oil, I’ve heard the opposite of changing it in the spring. Put it away with fresh oil. Used oil will be more acidic and can cause corrosion when not circulated while stored.
I used to store my car over winter and I used Flat Stoppers to keep the tires from spotting, battery maintainer, fuel stabilizer, a cover over the exhaust pipe to keep out rodents, and a car cover. I’ve also disconnected the battery for a winter and it fired right up afterward. If you go that route, be sure to disconnect the battery with the door open so that the window is slightly retracted, otherwise you can’t open the door after taking the clamp off the post.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Living in Chicago, my car just came out of 4 month hibernation, and I did what I normally do for my cars, and this is in keeping with what ByJovebyjungle mentioned. Car started immediately and has run fine since. I think the trickle charger is the real key.

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
Now that's just plain efficient!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts