The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Wednesday All!

I will be taking delivery of my "new" (2005) Elise by the weekend. I've owned vintage Lotuses before, but am wondering if the Gurus out there might have a basic check list of sorts for the first time Elise-er?

Thanks in advance!

Aaron
St. Paul, MN

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Agreed. Change the oil and go driving. I have had my car only about two months, and have already changed the oil twice, the transmission fluid and the spark plugs. The car is running nicely. It is so much fun. Just be careful, remember that Elises are pretty fragile, and do attract both good and bad attention. Most of all, enjoy the car! And post pics...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Congratulations !

Eaaaase in and out of driveways, when in doubt use the angle technique. It's so easy to scrape, it's not even funny.

Also know that there are no "idiot-proof" features in this car, for example there is nothing to stop you from starting the car while it's in gear and engaged. Several folks have done this and the car will jump forward a few feet.

Read your manual !

·
Registered
689 Posts
Don't park parallel to the curb . People tend to not see you and will back into your plastic car... Read about easy mods. that you can do yourself at "Sands Museam" on this web site.. Learn to change your own oil and look how to do the "U tube", Shifter reinforcement mod , painting your center console and valve covers. etc. Don't be afraid to work on the car yourself and you'll like it even More. Learn to search this site under SEARCH and use the google area of the search function -- you'll learn alot by reading and reading some more. Have fun and it's addicting.... Yipee where can I drive Next ???

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I've been parallel parking on a semi regular basis for a few years and the only damage is the very vague hint of a crack in the paint under the starshield. I find people respect the car enough to not hit it getting in or out. I don't park where there is less than 2 feet in each direction, which is easier than you'd think in this car. I don't park on NYC streets that don't have spaced meters. The bumpers on my BMW look like my acne when I was 15. Probably due as much to me parking in spaces the car doesn't really fit as everyone else. Your Mileage May Vary.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I also parallel park my car and have had no issues - yet. However, there are countless people here who have had their cars backed into, so I know the danger is there. Let's face it, an average sized car, truck, or suv can not see the front of the Lotus in their rear view mirror. So, a while ago, I was thinking, I should invent a collapsable traffic cone. But it's already been done. I'm thinking of ordering one and carrying it in the trunk and then use it when I park the car. Not sure how long they'll last though before they get stolen, lol. Pack-A-Cone: The Original Collapsible Traffic Cone

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Congratulations !

Eaaaase in and out of driveways, when in doubt use the angle technique. It's so easy to scrape, it's not even funny.

Read your manual !
+1

I agree with the others about parking too. I've passed on tight spots. I always want to be as far back as possible so the car in front of me can see me and not run over me. Make sure there is room for the car behind you to get out too. So far it's been over 2 years since the last time someone backed into me.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Someone will piss on your car if you use those for parking.
Why would they? I would simply place it in front of the car so they can see where it is. Besides piss washes off and costs less than replacing the front clam.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Why would they? I would simply place it in front of the car so they can see where it is. Besides piss washes off and costs less than replacing the front clam.
They'll think "that person is too good to park like everyone else, they need to set up a buffer zone too".

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I find people respect the car enough to not hit it getting in or out.
Keep that mentality and it will not be if but when.
I've seen a nice Merc basically ram the back of a Dodge 1500 Megacab (which is ginormous) when trying to park...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Keep that mentality and it will not be if but when.
I've seen a nice Merc basically ram the back of a Dodge 1500 Megacab (which is ginormous) when trying to park...
Trust me, I'm realistic. I know. I also know I've saved more than the $5,000 cost of the repair in parking in the past couple years.

I would never park on a crowded street anywhere in California, they don't even have drivers ed in that state as far as I can tell. I only do it in Manhattan on avenues not streets because the avenues still seem to have spaced meters instead of muni meters. That usually gives me a ton of room if I can actually find a space. In Boston, forget it, I'll garage it. Canadians tend to leave a ton of room anyway so I'm more of a risk taker in Toronto. I once left it parked overnight on a street in Mexico. At this point, if someone cracks up my clam, I'll still consider myself ahead. People worry too much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts