The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Advice for plastic choice - splitter skid plate fabrication

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  9and3 
#1 ·
I want to reinforce my CF splitter with a black/gray plastic skid plate. The idea is to use the splitter as a template and cut a piece of 1/4 inch plastic that runs beneath the splitter and extends an inch or so around the radius of the lip.

My question is what kind of plastic to choose. I want something that ads some structure, but is also resilient to impact and scrapes. The rough stock by my calculation needs to be about 58" X 18" X 1/4". I found this PVC option online, but I'm not certain yet that it is the best choice:
DARK GRAY EXPANDED PVC SHEET Plastic Sheets

Thoughts?

#2 ·
So let me get this straight... You are adding a splitter which LOWERS the front end and then adding another plastic piece which further LOWERS the front end...

Are you trying to scrape everything!? Especially when pulling out of Culver's parking lots!

Sorry... couldn't resist!

#6 · (Edited)
go get an aluminum sheet & make pieces that can bolt to the bottom of the lip (could probably get away using a dremmel tool or band saw since the aluminum probably only needs to be a thinner gauge)

make templates our of cardboard & cut away

it'll help from flexing the lip if it scrapes & also take the brunt of scrapes far better than plastic (it'll probably weigh less as well)

im thinking about doing something similar... but having the aluminum sheet act as the lip itself (maybe sticking out an inch or so in front of the clam) & acting as an under clam guard as well...

similar to this

#7 ·
I agree that aluminum could work (.125 to .2 thickness) but HOLY COW is it expensive in those lengths!

Leaning toward UHMW right now. The stuff is extremely resilient and "slippery". I'd likely have to form cut it with just the right blade and then bevel/finish the edge with a finishing plane. Files and abrasives only scuff the surface.

#10 ·
yeah, that's why i was thinking of getting 2-3 smaller pieces & cutting them to size... for your case that might be even more worthwhile since it sounds like you don't want it to be exposed under the lip, & are using it more for guard as apposed to aesthetics

if you do go with the plastic post pics of how you shaped & mounted them

#9 ·
nylon is also a good choice, and can be had in black. You can likely find a fabrication shop in your area that can order it and cut to size cheaper than you can buy it, but if not Mcmaster is a decent source.

#12 ·
Delrin is the right plastic, but it may be more expensive than aluminium

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.