The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all, no it didnt fall off the lift.

But it did pick up a rather sizable dent right infront of the passenger side rear tire ( like a nickle size chunk basically taken out ) almost facing down at the ground (couldnt see it standing). I just did the tires myself last week, and have been around to retorque them all since, so I know it is new. I drove the car home from the oil change and was washing it when I found it. Is there anything I can do? I guess starting with a phone call to the place where I had it serviced would be the best start? The oil change took forever, well over an hour, so I wonder if they had seen it before hand?

This sucks.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Nope. If you drive away from the shop before noticing, there's nothing you can do about this. Any damage needs to be identified and discussed when you pick up the car.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome, yep thats pretty much what I thought. Would have had to get down on hands and knees for this one.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
That sucks...

So I assume you couldn't see the garage where the work was being done? They were probably :shift: for 45 minutes to get the oil "warmed up" before doing the change.

I don't see a claim holding water in this situation :( You can't dent an Elise... I'd check for stress fractures spreading from where the damage is.

Sorry to hear about the trouble... I think it's time to DIY for all minor (and major) service from now on. :wave:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the damage is very strange, like I said it appears like a chunk of fiberglass is missing or pushed in, I will get some pics.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Maybe one of the ijuts working there tried to lift the car incorrectly with a jack and punched through the fiberglass. I agree its hard to prove once you drive away, however I'd ask to speak with the owner/manager of the shop and say wtf they did to your car. If they deny it up and down its hard to prove, however they are probably hoping you don't notice for awhile so its easier for them to pretend they didn't do it. I'd go into the shop and be VERY pushy about the damage they did. Don't ASK if they did it. SAY they did it and proceed with their shop insurance. Don't back down!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Nope. If you drive away from the shop before noticing, there's nothing you can do about this. Any damage needs to be identified and discussed when you pick up the car.
Though they SAY this, it's often not true.

Just like parking garages claim they aren't at fault should your vehicle be damaged. Yet they often are. They have insurance for that very purpose.

Talk to the manager first.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I called and spoke with the service manager who was very very nice. He didnt even let me finish telling him everything before he stopped me and said not to worry, he wasn't going to debate me. He said I can bring it up when I get a chance they will examine everything and replace parts. So things are sounding brighter.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
well I called and spoke with the service manager who was very very nice. He didnt even let me finish telling him everything before he stopped me and said not to worry, he wasn't going to debate me. He said I can bring it up when I get a chance they will examine everything and replace parts. So things are sounding brighter.

Hopefully he'll stick to that when he sees a $15,000 bill. :D

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Well actually it doesn't matter even if it happened at the shop, how do you prove it? They'll say it came in like that and theres not a damn thing you can do. Except...if they have cameras in the bay (very possible), the police will force them to run off a disc and at that point they can fess up before the Police look at it, or be in deep do do for lying.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Great! There you go! :D

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea, it was a much more positive response than I had expected. What is the cost of replacing this pannel, certainly not near 15K as its not even a clam. It is the pannel right under the passenger side door.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
yea, it was a much more positive response than I had expected. What is the cost of replacing this pannel, certainly not near 15K as its not even a clam. It is the pannel right under the passenger side door.
The panel under the door is your sill and those are bonded onto the chassis not bolted on. It is no easy job to remove the sill panel nor is it easy to glue a new one on. Also both clams have to be removed to do the job. Due to the complex nature of the job of replacing the sills, it is much easier to repair and patch the damaged area. A sill replacement could easily cost thousands of dollars and I would venture to say that most shops wouldn't have any idea of how to do it properly.

·
Registered
712 Posts
First thing you should do get an estimate from Lotus dealer for repair, then bring that with you to the place that damaged your car, and talk directly to the manager, imo.

·
Registered
445 Posts
It's a shame. Similar thing happened to me with the valet at the St. Francis in SF a few years ago with one of my Boxsters. I had hand-washed my car that night as I was going to a special event there. I knew every inch of my car. I picked it up around 1 am and drove home ten or so blocks. After I parked my car I noticed damage on the front bumper. Drove it back to the hotel, they told me they would review their cameras and get back to me. Well sure enough I get a letter saying that since I did not report it right away and left and came back that they are not liable. They did not deny my claim though. Needless to say I never valet my car there anymore. It's unfortunate that we need to always inspect our cars when picking them up from a shop or valet. I'm a PITA now. I even do it at work.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The panel under the door is your sill and those are bonded onto the chassis not bolted on. It is no easy job to remove the sill panel nor is it easy to glue a new one on. Also both clams have to be removed to do the job. Due to the complex nature of the job of replacing the sills, it is much easier to repair and patch the damaged area. A sill replacement could easily cost thousands of dollars and I would venture to say that most shops wouldn't have any idea of how to do it properly.
The sill is not so much difficult to remove - it's just that you can't remove it without destroying it. Installing a new one shouldn't be difficult other than it's glued on instead of bolted on. You are correct in that it requires the clams to be removed. Not that difficult a job, but very time consuming - and therefore expensive for the labor.

Hopefully, they can repair the hole without removing/replacing the sill. Since it's on the bottom, any properly done repair shouldn't cause any cosmetic problems.

Here's the section out of the Factory Repair/Shop Manual (I sound like a broken record, but everyone should download the manual from LCU for the $25):

Attachments

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Tim, You are correct. Its not that difficult to replace it.. The difficult part is that both your clams + door have to be taken off... Possibly the windshield.

So when we get into shop labor costs + the amount of hours.. You be the judge.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I say patch it.. Search the posts that I made, Im doing some fiberglass work.. Its not easy but cheaper.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea, patch seems to be the most reasonable, as I said you have to be on your hands and knees to see it anyways. Im going to work on getting some pics today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts