The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Advice Needed for IAT Sensor install onto BOE Rev310 kit

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  NeSSuS-GTE 
#1 ·
As a prerequisite to BOE's Torque300+ tune I am adding an Intake Air Temp sensor to the Rev310 Kit on my '06 Exige. This will help Phil get a reliable tune for me.

The problem is, for the life of me, I can't get the ECU pin inserted the full depth into the back of the ECU connector. This is the first time I have attempted anything like this, so it could be something simple or a misinterpretation of the instructions. But Phil's instructions are very specific:

"Now look at the pin on the wire. It has a flat right in the middle of it. That flat needs to be parallel to the long side of the connector. This is important."

Here are pictures of the IAT pin:

I made dozens of attempts to get the pin seated properly. Then I took a close look at the connector itself. I see some material is in there obstructing the pin. You can even see the indent the pin made after my 20+ attempts of getting it in there.

What also surprised me is that this is not the only pin on the connector that looks this way. From the front view I can see many pins are filled with this material. But A1 looks worst because I was putting pressure on it from the back.

Is this white material the culprit for not being able to insert the pin? Or is it something about the pin itself? Or (more likely) am I missing some other crucial detail about this procedure?

Any input is welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
I remember this being very difficult also (1.5 yrs ago) - had together 3 times I thought but the rad fan would come on after 2 minutes indicating it didn't connect.. I flexed the wire so much that I ended up cutting a small section out and resoldering the connector with the solder used also to stiffen the wire - I had to shave and shape the solder to fit thru the connector - I then used needle nose pliers to direct all force in little steps straight down wire and into the connector. Getting the big ECU plug as free as possible from firewall helps also in that tight space. Good luck - I'm sure Phil/BOE would have suggestions to help also.

#3 ·
:D I am having all of those problems.

The wire can only withstand so many attempts before it starts to break. In my case it seems like I will need to try and clear out the white material and then go with your slow pliers force method.

I'm not sure of the best way to get that stuff out of there. It isn't a grease. It is a rubbery substance that has some resistance to it.

#6 ·
Matt from Monkey Wrench Racing helped me get the pin seated correctly. He was able to use a small pin from the front of the connector to clear out the white sealant. After that the ECU pin inserted correctly. It turns out the solder blob didn't affect it.

Big thanks to Matt from MWR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.