The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd appreciate users' experience with the current generation of loggers. Here is what I'd be doing--

My car is a street vehicle 2005 Elise NA with mild track day modifications (oil pan, Schroth belts, toe link upgrade, Ohlin Lotus 2-way dampers), running on A048's. I have tracked it a fair amount this year and intend to do at least 10 days next season. The car will never be a track-only vehicle, and neither will its owner :)

But I do enjoy learning to go faster and harder and would like to be able to find the limits, so am interested in a data/timing device that would let me see the G-forces through each track's corners (I'm in Michigan and have run Gratten, Gingerman, Waterford Hills, and will be at Mid-Ohio and probably Nelson Ledges before the year is done), and lap times.

I am not at this point interested in (or more to the point don't want to spend the money on) data loggers that give me throttle, shifting pattern, or a whole bunch of data that I can't yet use. Basically I'd like a unit that lets me see after each session what my times were, and how hard I pushed G's, and would let me see later at home the track and my G-forces through each corner.

There are a number of vendors out there that have systems that are either too much (data, money) or I frankly don't understand how one sets up.

I'd like to hear real life opinions and recommendations from you guys on a decent device that would suit my needs.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'd appreciate users' experience with the current generation of loggers. Here is what I'd be doing--

My car is a street vehicle 2005 Elise NA with mild track day modifications (oil pan, Schroth belts, toe link upgrade, Ohlin Lotus 2-way dampers), running on A048's. I have tracked it a fair amount this year and intend to do at least 10 days next season. The car will never be a track-only vehicle, and neither will its owner :)

But I do enjoy learning to go faster and harder and would like to be able to find the limits, so am interested in a data/timing device that would let me see the G-forces through each track's corners (I'm in Michigan and have run Gratten, Gingerman, Waterford Hills, and will be at Mid-Ohio and probably Nelson Ledges before the year is done), and lap times.

I am not at this point interested in (or more to the point don't want to spend the money on) data loggers that give me throttle, shifting pattern, or a whole bunch of data that I can't yet use. Basically I'd like a unit that lets me see after each session what my times were, and how hard I pushed G's, and would let me see later at home the track and my G-forces through each corner.

There are a number of vendors out there that have systems that are either too much (data, money) or I frankly don't understand how one sets up.

I'd like to hear real life opinions and recommendations from you guys on a decent device that would suit my needs.

Thanks in advance.

You didn't tell us what your budget is!

·
Registered
846 Posts
However I will venture forth and suggest this bad boy:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=9456

AiM solo with CAN interface.
You can get the solo without the can interrface, however with the CAN you will be able to pull RPM and speed from the Lotus ECU.
You can also get speed from the GPS without the CAN, but no RPMs.

I have an AIM evo4 with the smarty cam and am very happy with it, that setup is in the $2500 range and is likely not what you're looking for.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
I had the ChaseCam Dashware...but I think Traqmate is a little easier to use.

·
He's on fire!
3,206 Posts
I'll second the AIM solo but I say save your $300 and get the vanilla one rather than the DL. If you decide you want more data later, you'll probably want to log more stuff at much better sample rates than you can get through the 2005 ECU anyway. At $400 it was much cheaper than the alternatives when I got mine, and "installation" is sticking it on your window like a GPS.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'll second the AIM solo but I say save your $300 and get the vanilla one rather than the DL. If you decide you want more data later, you'll probably want to log more stuff at much better sample rates than you can get through the 2005 ECU anyway. At $400 it was much cheaper than the alternatives when I got mine, and "installation" is sticking it on your window like a GPS.
Keep in mind that there's two potential interfaces to the Lotus ECU
OBDII and CAN, both of which are supported by AIM.

There is no serious logging to be done via OBDII, it's just too slow and works via a polling method (you ask for something and it then gives you the data), vs CAN who's bus is much faster and the data is there all the time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Smart phone apps

If all you want is timer, g-forces, speed, and track mapping, you don't need a dedicated data acquisition system. You probably have an adequate one in your pocket right now.

I bought "Harry's Lap Timer" for iPhone. Its about $20-30 from itunes store. It uses GPS and has many user-submitted track maps and knows where the start/finish line and all the corners are. It plots G-G diagrams.

I have only used it for one session (I downloaded it while at my last track day) but it seems like everything you would need for casual use.

I used to have a dedicated DA system for my race car, which helps decipher throttle and brake and engine, but that's more than a track-day tool.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
+1 to Harry's Lap timer Pro... It's BA. Get a Ram Mount for your phone as well... Hard to beat! It's seriously THAT good.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Recently went with Harry’s laptimer – pretty sure it’s a iPhone only app. $20 for the Pro version. On the hardware end you should use a higher resolution GPS add on ~ $100.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tip about Harry's guys. I'm also interested in dedicated systems that can be expanded. I'll take a look at the AIM Solo.

Others?

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Big Traqmate fan here - there is so much you can get out of it and I've take 4 seconds off my fastest lap last season. The best part about it is the analysis software, I don't know what Harry's has but I don't think it can touch what Traqview does. You can then easily add the sensors you want down the line (throttle, brake, oil pres, etc). I know you don't want these now but trust me, you will.

It's just a bit pricier than Harry's at about $1k for the system with the predictive display (which is great). You can then expand it with a Chasecam or other video system to overlay your data on the video.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ross, what do you need to do to set up a Traqmate? They have quite a selection of products too. I'm OK on understanding mechanical stuff, but once you get into CAN and OBD buses and data transfer rates you've more or less lost me. I don't want to futz with adapters from one set of buses to another, just a plug 'n play into the early '05 Elise.

So which Traqmate and what does setting it up entail? (The cost isn't all that, it's basically a set of tires, it's the what works with what that led me to post this thread).

Thanks!

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
What I have is the Traqmate Classic Complete

Traqmate Complete

The system doesn't integrate with the car at all - unless you add that. So it's just the unit that's GPS/accelerometer so you don't have to connect to the car at all. In fact I pull oil pressure and brake light from my own sensors (tapped the brake light in the trunk) and have a line running from a coil pack to get revs (you'll probably want that too). That all requires the TraqData unit to plug into the Traqmate for the extra inputs.

So you just mount the base unit somewhere flat (I put mine where my passenger airbag was inside the dash but you could use the floor or behind the seats). I actually have mine placed backwards due to the cables so I just have to switch the axis in Traqview so brake/accel and left/right are correct. A bit of a pain but not horrible.

Then I have the RLS cell phone mount between the AC vents and have the Traqmate display mounted there. I can easily see it while lapping (as can my passenger) and when I'm on the street I switch to gauge view so I can see MPH since our gauges are notoriously wrong.

The main reason I picked Traqmate is because that's what it seems all my racer friends are using (and sharing data with others is HUGELY helpful). Love being able to see where I brake compared to others, etc.

A

·
0 Posts
Zeldar - thanks for sharing our Indiegogo project on Race Capture Pro! I'm personally excited about the scripting capabilities; it's the first of it's kind in any price range. I really want to see what the users come up with! Plus, the entire system will be released open source hardware and software.

There's a ton on info about this project and I'm sure you might have some good questions. if there's anything we can do to clarify let us know and we'll be happy to help.

Reply here with questions or email us at [email protected]

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
Founder, Autosport Labs

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have both Harry's Lap Timer and Racepak.
harry's good for lap times only... rest of data is insufficient...
that's y i got racepak but still haven't figured out how to use the software... plus, one thing i don't like is you have to manually press button couple of times to start timing...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm looking for a system that will be Mac compatible. Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
You do not really push Gs, you only approach something.
Most peoples G-forces are not that far apart in the corners; but probably farther apart entering and leaving the corners.

"The track" is certainly worthwhile.

Thanks for the tip about Harry's guys. I'm also interested in dedicated systems that can be expanded. I'll take a look at the AIM Solo.

Others?
Your 2 criteria... (Easy/Simple and complex/complex) are diametrically opposed.
If you want to see how you did the Harry's lap timer seems good.
If you want to know how you did, or what you, or what you could do; then usually you need steering/brake/throttle to work that out.
Many people have a Harry's.

I'm looking for a system that will be Mac compatible. Any thoughts ?
Harry's timer runs on an iPhone.
Most using a Mac will run on Parallels, or VM ware.
I am running MoTeC i2Pro using the parallels, but a dedicated PC lap top with an RS232 is easier in the long run.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts