The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -

I have a dilemma. I've got a trackday coming up on Thursday and have to choose between using the following wheels/tires:

1 - OEM non-LSS wheels with Advan Neova tires that are nearly to the wear bars in the rear (front are fine)

*OR*

2 - LSS wheels with used Yokohama A048s. These tires have decent tread depth all around but are of unknown age (I bought the wheels used and they had the tires on them already).

I was leaning toward the LSS wheels with A048s but someone mentioned that if those A048s were old and hard, I might actually be better off with the other tires (which are almost at the wear bars in the rear).

What do you think?

·
give me my second cam!
451 Posts
Cant you just look at the date code on the tires and find out what the life expectancy is for the A048 tire is?:shrug:

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, I'll check the date code when I get home. But I know they've been in my garage for nearly a year so they're probably pretty old.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Smart thing to do is forget about the track day and use the money to go buy a new set of tires before you go out on any questionable set and either hurt yourself or someonelse due to lack of grip.
Don't let your track day people see this post or if they are worth anything they'll bounce you out for safety considerations.
Use a little common sense.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point. No use being dangerous. I'll see what the local shops have in stock today as far as tires. Thanks Alphonse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts