The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
you guys should get into rc car racing... same stuff at 1/10th the price! LOL
and much cheaper when you crash
I've seen some RC car setups that are amazing. Head tracking with a FPV headset, wirelessly hooked up to a video game steering wheel and pedals. Looks like a lot of fun!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I've seen some RC car setups that are amazing. Head tracking with a FPV headset, wirelessly hooked up to a video game steering wheel and pedals. Looks like a lot of fun!
I've been racing R/C since 1986. Amazing the Technology these days.

Not sure if this guy is on Lotustalk, but he has an Exige and does Drone FPV

·
Less is Better
2,480 Posts
I've been racing R/C since 1986. Amazing the Technology these days.

Not sure if this guy is on Lotustalk, but he has an Exige and does Drone FPV

I just happened to dust these off this summer after sitting in boxes for 30 years. I can't believe my RC10 from 1986 is worth more now than it was when I got it as a kid!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Awesome collection!!! I also have an original gold pan RC10. That's what I started racing with at the track in Huntington Beach. Also had a Hotshot!

Watch all 5 parts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I sold mine a few years ago to do more racing in cheap cars. I miss the Lotus sometimes, but overall I'm happy with the decision. I just have way more fun on track in a car I can just totally write off without losing any sleep.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I sold mine a few years ago to do more racing in cheap cars. I miss the Lotus sometimes, but overall I'm happy with the decision. I just have way more fun on track in a car I can just totally write off without losing any sleep.
MotoGeek! Long time no speak! Yeah, this is my thought as well. I've batted around the idea of keeping the Exige since procuring and tracking a Miata is so cheap. But like I mentioned before, garage space is limited, driving it on the street is kinda lame at this point, and the proceeds from selling it could buy a LOT of tires.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am interested in getting rid of my Elise and upgrading to an Exige but don't know much about these mods / build. Mind giving a quick overview? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I am interested in getting rid of my Elise and upgrading to an Exige but don't know much about these mods / build. Mind giving a quick overview? Thanks.
Your question is quite a big one and I'm not sure what aspect of the swap you're asking about. The reasoning behind it or the specifics of the parts or etc etc.

The overwhelming reason is for a more robust and powerful platform with a bunch more aftermarket support. Upgrading and building the 2zz would have resulted in the weak link of the transmission rearing its ugly head. The Honda platform shows no such weakness even in stock form and has many solutions in the aftermarket. Stock for stock, the Honda K series is just much better overall.

If you're asking about my specific build, you can read through my build thread that is linked in my signature.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Yup, you read that correctly. I'm gearing up to sell my little monster. I have one or two minor items to take care of on the car before it goes on the market but wanted to get everyone's opinion --- should I try to sell now, during the winter, or hold onto it until spring (presumably when people are in the market for sports cars)?

Not sure if it matters but as a brief reminder these are the details:

2006 Exige Aspen White
Honda K24A2 swap with MPx90 supercharger
Air to Water charge cooling (intercooler in manifold from MercRacing, with BOE front heat exchanger)
No AC
AliTech shifter

EDIT: And for the inevitable Why Are You Selling question... I am getting to the point where I just wanted a dedicated track toy and the Exige is too much for that. Too much power, too much money, too much worry. So I will be getting something cheap and light that won't slow me down because of how much I'll be worrying about how expensive it is to replace or repair if I damage it.
I hate seeing you potentially move on from this project/build... but it was certainly interesting reading/learning throughout your history of converting it (even through all the crazy pain points you had along the way).

as someone who early on in my Elise ownership thought about a k-swap, I was always interested in reading build threads of others who have gone through the process just to live vicariously through those experiences... but its been about 8 years now & I just cant seem to warrant getting rid of the cheap & reliable 2zz platform yet (even at its stock power levels lol)

I think if I were in your situation I would likely list my car now & just wait till the right buyer comes along with enough serious interest to talk (especially if you arent in a rush & were intending to list it spring time anyways)... I've creeped these forums too long over the years to notice there isnt any secret way to sell quick & painless. I've seen phenomenally cared for cars @ fair prices take a long time to sell (cars I would have sent asking price $ to if i were in the market again)... its just too much of a niche car & community to have a consistency in a marketplace. but I cant say I wouldn't be interested in your car if you did eventually list it lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
List it now. I bought my Elsie (I live in Michigan with brutal winters) last year at this time. I found one that ticked all the boxes as far as color, condition, options etc and pulled the trigger. I was not about to wait for spring and pass up the car I really wanted.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
See nothing wrong with listing it now as others mentioned. Ask for what you want $, you have a whole winter to see what kind of offers you actually get to compare to as the spring/summer comes. Assuming of course, nobody met your asking price during the winter. Seeing how difficult it will probably be to price your special build, you have a smaller market who can understand and appreciate what it's worth. Good luck with whatever you decide. Your build thread I truly enjoyed reading.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Oh but of course I take the car out today for a nice drive and am reminded of just how special these things are.... Oooph... 😅

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If you wanna quit drinking, stay out of the bars........If you wanna sell your Lotus, stay out of these cars! haha
Sage advice... Every time I drive this thing it reminds me of why I bought it in the first place. We'll see how things go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Awesome collection!!! I also have an original gold pan RC10. That's what I started racing with at the track in Huntington Beach. Also had a Hotshot!

Watch all 5 parts
So cool to see that video. I raced 1/12th electric in the Eighties (RC12E, RC12i) and was sponsored by Associated, so I knew Roger, Gene and his wife Midge, Reedy, Chuck Kimbrough, Lavacot, etc.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
So cool to see that video. I raced 1/12th electric in the Eighties (RC12E, RC12i) and was sponsored by Associated, so I knew Roger, Gene and his wife Midge, Reedy, Chuck Kimbrough, Lavacot, etc.
Yep, I also knew all those guys. They all raced at Hot Trax, even Gil Losi Jr tested his new buggy at that Track.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts