The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read other posts till my eyes have bled but still am uncertain what direction to go regarding brake pads.

Essentially, I use my car for weekend drives and HPDEs. I would like to find a brake pad that can survive and perform on a weekend track day yet not destroy my rotors or scream my ears out while being driven on the street.

I would describe my track skills as beginner/intermediate so I know I don't need some 1000 degree super track pad... alternatively, I can handle a little mild crunch and squeal while street driving but don't want the neighborhood dogs to be writhing in pain and clawing at their ears when I come to a stop.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you have the cash then Endless MX72's. I have been very happy with mine. if you dont drive them hard once in a while then they may squeak, just do 5 hard stops in a row and they stop squeaking for the next 1000 miles of normal driving. I was using their stopping power to run with supercharged Exiges, they pulled on the straights and i caught in the braking zones.

·
Registered
341 Posts
havent had expereince with any others than stock, but I love my rs4-2 pads.. HUGE improvement over stock and still kicking 2 years later after plenty track and street time

·
Registered
188 Posts
I also only drive on some weekends and DEs. Did a lot of research like you, and there are 800 different opinions out there.

At then end, I got Hawk HT-10s. They perform well enough for me on track, and seem fine for the street. Rotors fine so far after 1 season. They were also cheap, and I was able to order them through Amazon. Sector 111 stocks them too.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I had Ferodo 2500 they were fine but since fitting Carbone Lorraine RC5+ it has been a revelation. Much more bite from cold and great for me on the track. My car is driven every day.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
IMO you can't do two things with one brake pad. You're either going to do one really good and the other not so much. Or you can get a halfway pad and do both half a**

Learn how to change your brakes it takes 20 minutes max on the Lotus. Get Hawk HT-10s for the track and HPS for the street. It will not cost that much if you price stalk the part numbers.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Learn how to change your brakes it takes 20 minutes max on the Lotus. Get Hawk HT-10s for the track and HPS for the street.
Yes, I thought about just switching out brake pads after a track day but was concerned about all the pad transfer layer bedding in bulls**t. I didn't think it as easy as just switching out the pad.

I'm thinking Pagid blues or the CL 5+. Need to check out the Hawk HT-10.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Yes, I thought about just switching out brake pads after a track day but was concerned about all the pad transfer layer bedding in bulls**t. I didn't think it as easy as just switching out the pad.

I'm thinking Pagid blues or the CL 5+. Need to check out the Hawk HT-10.
It is really not that bad and while you're changing the pads you can check for anything else abnormal.

I didn't realize you were in FL. The HT-10 Hawk's are not that bad on the street really in warmer weather. I'd say give them a shot. Some of the So-Cal people run them on the street. I ran them on the street up here in NC b/c the car was not a daily driver and I'd get lazy inbetween track days.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Ferodo DS2500 is what you want.
Agreed. A reliable pad unless your car is running big power and/or racing slicks. Get some RBF600 and everything should be fine.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I must be missing something...

I ran 2 and a half seasons, maybe 15 track days, and 14,000 street miles on the stock pads. They were always predictable, I never faded them, and when I took them off, I had about 25% thickness remaining. They're well-behaved on the street and won't eat your rotors under just about any circumstance. While I'm not the most aggressive driver out there, I can more than keep pace with the advanced run groups in BMW, Audi and SCDA. I (perhaps foolishly) purchased another full set near the end of last year.

At the beginner/intermediate level, you are better off investing that same $$ in another track weekend or a Bondurant-type school than you are in upgrading the brakes.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts

I ran 2 and a half seasons, maybe 15 track days, and 14,000 street miles on the stock pads. They were always predictable, I never faded them, and when I took them off, I had about 25% thickness remaining. They're well-behaved on the street and won't eat your rotors under just about any circumstance. While I'm not the most aggressive driver out there, I can more than keep pace with the advanced run groups in BMW, Audi and SCDA. I (perhaps foolishly) purchased another full set near the end of last year.

At the beginner/intermediate level, you are better off investing that same $$ in another track weekend or a Bondurant-type school than you are in upgrading the brakes.
Because when it comes time to replace the pads, you can get a slightly more aggressive pad that lasts longer, for less money than the stock parts. Otherwise, I probably agree with you for most drivers that aren't over using their brakes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

:huh::shrug:

I can only surmise that you must be performing your track days at a very tight or low speed track. To have your stock pads last for 15 solid track days plus 14000 street miles and to never have any fade would be impossible on the tracks down here in Florida. For instance Sebring is 3.7 miles long and at the end of Ulmann straight I have the Lotus going flat out…usually 120-130+ MPH. I can tell you from specific personal experience that the stock brake pads DO NOT survive long with that kind of use. Not to mention severe fade…and no, not the boiling fluid fade, but the brake compound getting too hot for spec and degrading fade.

It is awesome that you have been able to avoid having to change to a track pad on your car but please don’t assume that everyone else is foolishly throwing their money away on needless track pad changes. The mere fact that I am looking for a track pad with street friendly performance would suggest I would LOVE to be able to just use a stock pad but cannot.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Also my braking performance GREATLY increased when I switched to the rs4-2. I needed it for the track as my stock pads weren't cutting it, but for those that don't NEED its still very helpful to have decreased stopping distances on the street in case of a bad situation. The key is getting the most aggressive pad that wont eat rotors and that you can live with on the street in my opinion..

I can only surmise that you must be performing your track days at a very tight or low speed track. To have your stock pads last for 15 solid track days plus 14000 street miles and to never have any fade would be impossible on the tracks down here in Florida. For instance Sebring is 3.7 miles long and at the end of Ulmann straight I have the Lotus going flat out…usually 120-130+ MPH. I can tell you from specific personal experience that the stock brake pads DO NOT survive long with that kind of use. Not to mention severe fade…and no, not the boiling fluid fade, but the brake compound getting too hot for spec and degrading fade.

It is awesome that you have been able to avoid having to change to a track pad on your car but please don’t assume that everyone else is foolishly throwing their money away on needless track pad changes. The mere fact that I am looking for a track pad with street friendly performance would suggest I would LOVE to be able to just use a stock pad but cannot.

·
Registered
381 Posts

Partly right. Most of those days were on a tight, technical track (1.6 mi, 11 turns). However, I've also spent time on longer tracks where I'm at the rev limiter in 4th (about 120) before needing hard braking, fast enough to experience "ice mode". I've just not come across these brake issues myself.

I am well aware that with experience comes speed, and that the stock setup has limits, particularly for those who have progressed to the point where they consistently keep the car at the outer edges of its performance envelope. My personal experience is that these drivers are rare. When you indicated that you were at the beginner/intermediate level, and that you were not looking at a high-temp track-only pad, I made the reckless assumption that you were likely not at a level that overstresses the car. I apologize.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No harm done. ;) I was really only giving you a -poke- rather than a :thwack:

I am hardly a instructer level driver by any stretch but probably a little beyond beginnner as well. I just find that taking the modest approach of a beginner is the best way to keep learning. Unfortunately, the realities of driving on such a large fast track like Sebring is you reach the limits of stock very easily. I have done autocross for years on stock pads with no issue but Sebring is just too much for them. As is the case with almost everything YMMV.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
I'm in the same boat as the original poster and there are a ton of threads on brake pads. It's like information overload having so many choices!

But like SiXeVeN, I'm looking for something that's inherently a compromise between street and track. I don't want to get into swapping pads for trackdays even though it's pretty easy. I like just being able to do my tech inspection, hop in, drive to the track, run all day and drive home.

All that said, I'm in a stock Elise and have done about 5 trackdays now on the OEM pads (and 15k street miles). They're finally getting low and I need new ones before my next track day. The OEM pads aren't terrible, and if they weren't so pricey I'd probably go with them again. I'm an intermediate level driver.

Given that I want something that OK on the track and won't be annoying on the street (low noise, low dust), it sounds like this Ferodo DS2500 might be a good option.

Besides, who needs more powerful brakes? That just slows you down! ;) Kidding of course.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts