The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
I love my new Elise. Tips for new owners include using the space between the left rear corner of the driver's seat and the bulkhead as a substitute cup holder. It works GREAT!

The sunshades are a pain, but useful.

Gently press the engine cover lid down at the lock to latch it; don't slam it.

Reiterating an earlier comment: MOVE SLOWLY AROUND THE CAR when getting in or out of it to avoid unnecessary scratches.

Don't get wax on ANYTHING BLACK; it may be there forever.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Here's a new one. After delivery, check you tire pressure. It may be overflated (at Hethel) to prevent flat spotting during the cross Atlantic trip.

The dealer should bring it down to the recommend 26/29 (LSS) during PDI but might forget. My PSI was 40/40 for about 200 miles until I checked it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got informed durning my 1K service that my tire pressure was also at 40/40. Also a Scottsdale Lotus car, no wonder I went through hell on concrete freeways!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Holy crap! That is very very high psi. Your teeth must be loose!

26f/28r is perfect for the street and I've found 22f/24r is great for the track.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm just worried that I may have damaged the suspension etc by over stressing it? Most of my miles were freeway, returning to the Bay area, never had a test drive before I bought it, so I had no comparsion.

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
macsuibhne said:
I'm just worried that I may have damaged the suspension etc by over stressing the it? Most of my miles were freeway, returning to the Bay area, never had a test drive before I bought it, so I had no comparsion.
No worry there. It will be fine.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
eliseowner2b said:
Holy crap! That is very very high psi. Your teeth must be loose!
Ironically, my Elise felt much more smoother on Arizona roads with 40 psi. I notice the minor road irregularities much more now at 28/31.

Oh, thread wear looks even now at 28/31 (2 psi over recommended).

·
Registered
980 Posts
Do not wash the car with the nose pointing in an upward position such as an inclined driveway. This will cause the water to run in to the rear storage area. I washed it again with the nose pointing down and had no problems.

·
Registered
364 Posts
How much of an incline does it take for water to leak in?

I have a small incline and I washed it with the nose pointed upward with no leakage problems.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
mrluky said:
what do you do about the gas problem in a full serve state?
Move to another state?

·
Registered
542 Posts
never let a gas station attendant fill your car. if you are in a full serve state, like i am in NJ, just do it yourself!

only a couple times did anyone tell me "it's the law" and i said politely - it's MY car. after that, they let me fill the car. i usually go to the same places, and they know me by now. and that's with my daily driver!!

tell 'em if a cop wants to give me a ticket for filling up my car, i'll take the ticket and go to court. stupid law.

now when you're in your Elise, or anything special, the gas station jockey better not even think to fill her up.

i get our elise this week, and i can promise you i will fill her up. 'will be polite about it, but i won't let anyone spill gas on the bodywork!!

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
mrluky said:
what do you do about the gas problem in a full serve state?
That is such a weird law. My weird response: "Here fill this up. I'll put it in the car later."

·
Registered
273 Posts
Weird but kind of......cultish...

Never before, ( Porsche Club, Ferrari Club, Mercedes Club, Lambo club, Hummer Club, Land Rover Club ) Have I seen so much concern and interest in a single model car! Some of these clubs I have and continue to be a member in. Over 20 years in Porsche!

THAT IS A COMPLIMENT.....

For all of those people here who post advice, tips, and common sense tricks regarding the operation, use, driving, and care of the ELISE!

No one ever told me how to drive the 360 and not scrape the under carriage ( $1876.98 ) first damage.... So, I learned fast with other low profile cars what not to do and how to leave parking lots slowly at an angle.

One bit of advice I will share and it happens often is this:

BE attentive to young kids in "fin" cars behind you that expect you to take off like a lightening bolt after a red light to see how fast their car is against yours.

Invariably, sooner or later at an intersection dip, some debris or another issue will be infront of you and become part of your maintenance expense history.

I always wait a sec with brake light firmly on and then proceed slowly so in case I have to stop or slow down ( parking lot entrance exits to roads - especially ) the "fin" isn't up my rear end and giving me tail damage. Why? Because he doesnt race me thru the intersection. Very little damage at crawling speeds.

BUT that hasn't prevented me from taking off like a rocket just to show "fin" what horsepower is really all about. Especially up steep graded hills!

Enjoy the car and remember: She is a beauty!

And thanks for all the tips...some new and some old but worth be reminded of.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Dood,

This is your first sub-40K-car club. People are grateful down here... You should have been buying VWs and Miatas for the past 20 years if you needed this kind of love...

;-)

>Never before, ( Porsche Club, Ferrari Club, >Mercedes Club, Lambo club, Hummer Club, >Land Rover Club ) Have I seen so much concern >and interest in a single model car! Some of these >clubs I have and continue to be a member in. >Over 20 years in Porsche!
>
>THAT IS A COMPLIMENT...

·
Registered
30 Posts
How about "Don't park anywhere near some of those summer time misting systems stores & shops use"? Those things will dump so much hard water onto your baby in a few minutes you'll have to buff the whole thing!

~FJ

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
new rule. if the valet park is mandatory and unswayed by demand to self park, another restaurant gets my business and management of the other gets a phone call telling them the story. maybe next time they get the business.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Delivery arrived!

Now that I have driven "mee baby", let me simply say: "whatever you do, do a 90 - 100 degree spin around a corner.....it's lovin on wheels!

:shift:

21 - 40 of 156 Posts