The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks -

I want to get an OBD II reader, and thought would ask for advice before purchasing. While I am open to a stand-alone device, my preference would be for something that I can use with my iPhone 4S (IOS v7) or my MacBook Pro (OS X v10.9) and perhaps connect via Bluetooth.

I will be using it with my 2005 Elise (stock).

Thanks!

— Mike

·
Registered
676 Posts
A lot of the bluetooth readers are for android only. I think the ios ones use wifi but im not sure

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
DashCommand is the i-phone alternative. Any ELM327 Bluetooth will do ( at least for android ), I think the i-phone version is the Xtool iOBD2. Its all over ebay right now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The only BT OBD2 reader compatible with iPhone I've found (and bought) is the GoPoint BT1A !
Other devices compatible with iPhone are using WiFi ...

DashCommand is a great iPhone app to use with an OBD2 reader :)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
isn't supported by apple for some reason
The reason is apple, its just there business model.

·
Registered
335 Posts
There are a few out there...

Right now I'm using Automatic and it works pretty well. I cleared one code I had without issue, it calculates MPG, tells you when your fuel is low and predicts the milage you have till empty, tracks your drive on a map, tells you where your car is parked, rates your driving based on hard accelerations, hard brakes, and amount of time over 70 (basically just tells me I'm a crappy driver haha).

The Elm327 with the DashCommand app has great reviews and its a cheap setup. I haven't used it personally, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. (BT version, may not work with iOS? Not 100% sure about that though)

The GoPoint BT1 is made specifically for iOS so it should work without issue. You can use their app, DashCommand, or any other of your choosing.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Is there any downside to getting the usb version of ELM327 OBD2 and just using my notebook/laptop etc ??????
Im just looking for a cheap reader myself and came across this thread

·
Wow Such Admin
6,956 Posts
Is there any downside to getting the usb version of ELM327 OBD2 and just using my notebook/laptop etc ??????
Im just looking for a cheap reader myself and came across this thread
The good thing about the wifi one is I can just take the elm327 plug in with me everywhere and use my phone to scan it. That way I can use it on road trips, or while inspecting a used car. I thought about getting the USB one but the wifi one seems so much more convenient.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts