The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

Title says it all. I searched but could not find anything specific to this question.

I will be getting either a 2Bular 8x24 or a Larini Sports Style Diffuser exit (still trying to decide)...anyway, can I remove the heat shielding around the exhaust can and the cat while retaining the OEM rear fascia grill?

I've always been on the fence about the open-rear look. I dig it, but I like the OEM look too. And the wife despises the open-ended look (women), so I plan to keep the grill. But I'd love to dispense with the ugly silver satellite-like heat shielding that is visible through the grill.

Would doing so result in melting the grill or license plate frame or something stupid like that? Obviously it must be there for a reason, and that is probably it. But I wanted to see if anyone else has tried it or if this is just a no-can-do.

Thx!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm thinking about the same and I think I'm going with the 2bular. I recently seen a post here from a guy who used the von Hep eliminator together with a custom grill (extruded metal). Looks great to me and I think even women will like it :clap:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That looks fantastic. If that mesh were black, it would be perfect.

Who's car is that, do you remember? I'd love to find out how he did that.

Still...the Von Hep bracket looks plastic like the OEM. He is running without heat shields.

Would prefer to keep the OEM look, but this is a nice option if I can find out how he pulled it together.

Thx!

Did quick PS of what that could look like with a black grill (I suck at PS, don't expect much)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I will be getting either a 2Bular 8x24 or a Larini Sports Style Diffuser exit (still trying to decide)...anyway, can I remove the heat shielding around the exhaust can and the cat while retaining the OEM rear fascia grill?
I wouldn't remove it unless you're going to run open. Lots of cars crack exhausts, etc. and leaks develop - I wouldn't want the exhaust boxed in without the add'l peace of mind offered by the heat shielding.

My .02.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peace of mind is nice. I guess I was looking to see if the responses were more like "ya, duh..of course you can" and then I'd be more comfy with it. But if it's an unknown or a peace of mind issue, then I'll prob leave them in.

Someone needs to make a production grill replacement kit, all metal, for this purpose of eliminating the need for heat shielding in this area. So much focus is on either a Euro grill kits or grill eliminator kits. Not a lot of replacement grill options out there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That looks fantastic. If that mesh were black, it would be perfect.

Who's car is that, do you remember? I'd love to find out how he did that.
Have a look here http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f115/new-here-54828/
The name of the guy who did that is fuqua914.
The grill could be get at lowes or in a local metal shop. Also some car tuning shops have this in abetter aluminium quality, also in black :crazyeyes , at least here in Germany. If you like I can forward you a link, where to buy.

Regards,
Frank

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
i just installed mine and removed the entire heatshield.

I let it idle for a good 20 minutes. I then drove him. 30 minute drive.

Felt the trunk and it wasnt hot.

When i got in the car after letting it idle the temp was 198. Thats the highest i have ever seen it thus far. Yet i havent even owned it over a hot summer yet.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see 198 all the time at idle in this hot humid Louisiana swampiness. It's fine.

So you are running no heat shield at all with the OEM rear grille?

And probax yes, please if you have a link I would definitely be interested to check it out.

Thx!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I installed a rear panel eliminator and I have had the heat shield "roasting pan" out of my car for about 2 yrs. No problems I have noticed. I kept the shielding on the 180 exhaust bend (w/ the O2 sensor) on as it is quite close to the body.
After taking off the shielding I noticed less of an exhaust drone, I think I get better air flow though the engine bay. Also note that the bottom of the boot is covered with heat shielding/ blanket as well.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed a rear panel eliminator and I have had the heat shield "roasting pan" out of my car for about 2 yrs. No problems I have noticed. I kept the shielding on the 180 exhaust bend (w/ the O2 sensor) on as it is quite close to the body.
After taking off the shielding I noticed less of an exhaust drone, I think I get better air flow though the engine bay. Also note that the bottom of the boot is covered with heat shielding/ blanket as well.
Thanks for the input. But of course you can remove the heat shield with an eliminator kit. That's not quite what I'm asking... I need to know if I can remove the heat shield WITHOUT using an eliminator keep, and RETAINING the OEM grill.

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding. Perhaps the earlier posts were not as clear as I'd hoped.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would believe the stock rear grill will allow plenty of air-flow. The heat shield is mosly likely the biggest air flow restrictor and exhaust heat retainer in the area.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I removed all the heat shielding when I ran a single tip, high exit, exhaust.

I've since switched to a diffuser exit exhaust and put the OEM rear grill & license plate bracket back in place. I do have the U bend pipe wrapped. I do notice the bodywork just above the grill areas getting hot after a long drive, but I also seem to remember that area getting warm with the entire OEM setup.

I recall reading that the heat shielding was put in place to protect the rear steel subframe more than anything else. Anyone else remember this?

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have a 2bular Ultra which is a tiny exhaust can compared to the OEM piece so there is much more airflow around my current exhaust than if I put the original back in place.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have the 2bular 8x24 and the Von Hep eliminator. The VH eliminator is aluminum and can take heat. I trimmed the heat shield above the opening in the rear, where the edge would not be seen when looking at the car from the rear. The rest of the shield was retained. I figure that eliminating that section of the shield will promote airflow around the muffler and to getting the heat out of this area. It also looks cool, and it was easy to do, as the shield is very thin.

I like the looks of the expanded metal rear grill. It would be nice in flat black powder coated aluminum mesh.

Jerry

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a great idea JKolb... I didn't realize it was that easy to cut. I think that is exactly what I will do.

I'm on the 2bular 8x24 waiting list. So now it's just a matter of waiting. Thx for your input everyone!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I see 198 all the time at idle in this hot humid Louisiana swampiness. It's fine.

So you are running no heat shield at all with the OEM rear grille?

And probax yes, please if you have a link I would definitely be interested to check it out.

Thx!
Smoky, please have a look here:
Streckgitter=Extruded Metal

Unfortunately the description is only in German, so if you are interested in sth. and you want to translate, just let me know.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
smoky. Im pretty sure you should be able to keep the oem grill and remove the heat shield.

My entire heat shield is gone.

Has anybody tried searching this? Are there other threads that cover the dnagers or "oks" on removing the heat shield.

BTW the entire heat shield weighs about 4-5lbs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts