The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have been thinking about getting an elise for a few years now, but now that I'm out of school with a job I'm getting more serious about the idea.

I'm hoping for some, if any advise on where to go what to look for.

I am interested in an 05-06 Chrome Orange elise. I live in portland OR, so I am close to CA if i need to go down there to find one.

Since I have never owned one of these cars, it would be awesome if someone could tell me besides the obvious things you look for in purchasing a car, what are some of the common problems I should be looking for?

Thank you

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
You're already looking for the right color. Nothing else matters.:shrug:

·
Registered
274 Posts
first, have you ever driven one? or sat in one? getting in and out can be a problem as these cars are not very big.

if that isnt an issue i would assume to look for the normal things in a car. it has a Toyota engine, which most say is a good thing. get a carfax. find out if its been tracked.

those are just a few thoughts from my end. i am sure some of the more knowledgeable Lotus drivers/posters will chime in soon.

Mike

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
The best thing you can do is hang around this site for a prolonged time and you will pick up lots of essential information.
Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would like to followup on the posters question. I live in Springfield, MO, a long way from a Lotus dealer. Is it advisable to own an Elise far from an urban area with a dealer. Or are they dependable enough that a trip to the city now and then for service will be adequate.

Rob

2005 999 Ducati Monoposto

·
Registered
4,240 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome.

If you live in Portland, Ore. There is a Lotus dealer there.. It is Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo. It is the Ferrari Dealer that also sells Lotus off of it's lot. That is where I got My Elise. I got my 05 there and they shipped it to me enclosed transport. They would surely assist you if you went down to their dealership. :shift:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would like to followup on the posters question. I live in Springfield, MO, a long way from a Lotus dealer. Is it advisable to own an Elise far from an urban area with a dealer. Or are they dependable enough that a trip to the city now and then for service will be adequate.

Rob

2005 999 Ducati Monoposto
you cant be much more than 2-3 hours from St. Louis? i believe there are two Lotus dealers there.

with the Toyota engine, most seem to say that its rare that the Lotus ever fails to start. as far as i can tell from my research, there arent really any electrical problems with the Elise. there were a couple of polls awhile back regarding the frequency one needs to take a new Lotus back to a dealership and the responses basically were about once every 6 months to a year all the way to Rarely.

Mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks

first, have you ever driven one? or sat in one? getting in and out can be a problem as these cars are not very big.

if that isnt an issue i would assume to look for the normal things in a car. it has a Toyota engine, which most say is a good thing. get a carfax. find out if its been tracked.

those are just a few thoughts from my end. i am sure some of the more knowledgeable Lotus drivers/posters will chime in soon.

Mike
I actually went to a dealer called Gran Prix Imports yesterday, they let me drive one of their 05's. I had no idea it was so hard to get in to, I'm 165lb and it was hard for me. But I try to look on the bright side "no FAT chicks" :D

I loved the car, and I'm definitely getting one. but I'm not sure if I should get an 05 or an 06. they seem to be around the same price but does the 2005 only have 130HP while the 2006 have 189HP? The dealer said their 05 was 130HP but I've read on the internet they are 189HP I keep getting mixed information.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
I actually went to a dealer called Gran Prix Imports yesterday, they let me drive one of their 05's. I had no idea it was so hard to get in to, I'm 165lb and it was hard for me. But I try to look on the bright side "no FAT chicks" :D

I loved the car, and I'm definitely getting one. but I'm not sure if I should get an 05 or an 06. they seem to be around the same price but does the 2005 only have 130HP while the 2006 have 189HP? The dealer said their 05 was 130HP but I've read on the internet they are 189HP I keep getting mixed information.
The DEALER told you the 05 has 130 hp????? Wherever you buy your car do NOT take it there for service.

ALL normally aspirated Elise and Exige in the US are 189 hp. The 130HP is about what the UK Rover engined car was, and I think what the Europe-only Elise S is with the smaller Toyota engine. Can't buy that car here.

Rule # one in sales, know your product. I doubt that saleman will be on staff long.

·
Registered
344 Posts
dooo iiiiiiiiit!

Put your right leg in, duck your head, and pour your ass in to the seat.

I had hell getting in until i learned how. Now at 6'0 and 190lbs I have no trouble at all.
...m... and I totally dominated a group of corvettes today. It was comical.

SERIOUSLY! they absolutely couldn't keep up.

Now i feel like a jerk for saying so, but the truth is, I feel sorry for them. They may never know the rush we feel when you load the outside rear and drive off the corner like that. Wow i wish I could find the words to do justice to what my car just did to that freakin road.

You could view my videos but they are not in Gforce vision. Even seeing it doesn't do justice to the experience because you can't feel it.

ok my daughter says it's like a sick fast scary fun rollercoaster that you can take home.
she says it feels alot like the poltergeist at six flags fiesta texas.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that the best advice I could give you is to do it.

buy the car.
You can sort out all the details as you go.

Oh and uummm, +1
The DEALER told you the 05 has 130 hp????? Wherever you buy your car do NOT take it there for service.
All 05's have the 2zz, 189hp The salesman is an idiot, and must be kicked in the nuts, lest he successfully breed.

TschuB
Darrell

1 - 12 of 12 Posts