The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Check out the Exige picture in my profile. :nanner2: Should have been done like this from Lotus. Looks great & actually works at the track. Colin at Cantrell Motorsports fabricated these & is selling for a price of $200. I have lots of pictures but cant get them downsized to post. Maybe I can e-mail them to someone.:coolnana: They fit the Elise too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Material is like a thermo hardened plastic on the outside, smooth inside from the mold. Attaches with screws,really secure. No problem with the access panel. Colin has a spec. sheet with data confirming reduced drag on a Exige at the track. Sure Colin could give better details than I.Just looks right to me.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I really like those. Sets off your car really well!:up: Do you have a link?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
http://www.cantrellmotorsport.com/

(425) 820-0231

I just called Colin and talked to him. He'll have some more next week.

They attach with tape along the top edge and then some screws are used to make sure it doesn't come off. He is using a couple of the screw points from the engine tray and a couple of screws that screw into the body. He also mentioned that they need to be drilled to fit as each body is just a little bit different.

I may end up getting some.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Wow, you guys suck. Stop posting these pictures, it's costing me $!

Those look too good.

I'm going to have to get some. The $9,500 I made selling my Miata is going fast...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Here are some pictures of my Exige at Portland with the first prototype skirts. I approached Colin about doing some skirts a few months ago, after reading about Lotus race cars from the past using ground effects. My DL1 logs seem to indicate a reduction in drag at +120mph. I felt they helped in corners too, but I don't have enough log data to show yet. My skirts about 1 inch taller than on Pete's Elise. They do scrape a bit over large speed bumps, but the plastic is flexible enough that I haven't noticed any problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
the skirt really accent the car well ONLY if you have black/CF front splitter.

I am interested if it doesn't cost much. Anyone know?

Anyone has close up pics of the skirt? Not far away as some has posted.

Also, what material is used? Plastic if i gather correctly? What kind of plastic? Does it hold up well against scraps, etc? How hard is the installation?

·
Registered
374 Posts
This is the only sort-of close picture I have on my computer. The plastic is sturdy and flexible, but not really soft. I think it is ABS plastic. The skirt curves outward at the rear to follow the contour of the body. At the front, on the Exige, it mates to the inside edge of the front mud-flap. I think the price is about $250 for a set. www.cantrellmotorsport.com. The only problem I have so far is I have drive up onto some boards to raise the car enough to get a jack under it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
It sure looks like it protects the side fender as if you somehow hit a deep pot hole, the skirt is there.

the question is how strong is this plastic. will it crack under big hit like deep pot hole? i dont drive my elise that much on bad road but would like to know the strength of this plastic

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't think it would crack easily; I think it would bend first. It's like the same stuff they make plastic garbage cans out of. I was concerned that it might damage the rocker panel if it were to get smashed, but Colin thinks it would just bend and/or pop the screws. He says they deformed a lot just driving my car up the ramps on to his lift.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
cool, if the plastic is similar to the plastic garbage cans, then it won't crack. it will just bend, like you said.

now installation. do you have to drill new holes on the rocker panel to install it?

·
Registered
374 Posts
gameson said:
cool, if the plastic is similar to the plastic garbage cans, then it won't crack. it will just bend, like you said.

now installation. do you have to drill new holes on the rocker panel to install it?
Cantrell MS installed mine, so I'm not sure. I think he said he had to drill a couple of holes near the front, but most of them are through the same holes that the under trays screw to.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.