The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
99 Posts
Polyethylene, injection molded

I was talking to Colin the other day about the skirts. I'm pretty sure he said they were Polyethylene, injection molded. This is the same stuff that some white-water kayaks are made of... very tough and pretty flexible.

I'm considering getting these as well. They increase top speed (based on the anecdotal track data) presumably by decreasing drag, they likely also reduce aero lift, look great, and don't cost an arm and a leg... GO COLIN!

:shift:

·
Registered
787 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,690 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
They are designed to be more effective. Granted they are CF but the design could be duplicated to be more effective.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Reviving an old post. Anyone have close up photos, especially attachment details. I'm thinking of creating some myself. If you have some details on how far down they hang or how they attached, even if they are estimates it would help.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Reviving an old post. Anyone have close up photos, especially attachment details. I'm thinking of creating some myself. If you have some details on how far down they hang or how they attached, even if they are estimates it would help.
Last post was 13 years ago. OP hasn't been here since 2014.

San

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Last post was 13 years ago. OP hasn't been here since 2014.

San
Might as well answer his question though.

The best way to attach side skirts is to drill and install rivnuts in the side sills and front hinge cover.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,900 Posts
Might as well answer his question though.

The best way to attach side skirts is to drill and install rivnuts in the side sills and front hinge cover.
Just to revive this.....I own the car, and I have these skirts still on it. They’re incredibly strong, flex fairly easy, and look great even after all the years. I’ve pulled them off a few times and re installed them with nutserts in the front. 3m double sided tape on the rocker, and use the last 3 tray bolts for the rear. They’re on solid as a rock, and I put a silicone black caulk bead around the top just to finish off the look. If anyone would be interested in these I was speaking with another local forum member about reproducing them and think if there is enough interest we would move forward. Price point will still be really reasonable IE under $500 a set, and would be making them out of a similar material that would have slightly more flex to them as they are now are quite ridged when secured with the bolts instead of pure double sided method.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts