The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading about the Aerocatch on the BOE website I decided to try it. (thanks Phil)
This mod rocks and it was not a hard install with the supplied templates!
I dont have to shut off the engine to get to the boot and it saved a little weight as a bonus.
Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

Chris

Attachments

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Well done:up: Should have done that way from the word go... Are you listening Lotus?;)

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm curious how much it costs from BOE. Also, looking at the AeroCatch website, they offer a black and a "Carbon look" model. I can't tell from your pic, but it appears you have the all black model. I am thinking the carbon look model would be quite popular here.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm curious how much it costs from BOE. Also, looking at the AeroCatch website, they offer a black and a "Carbon look" model. I can't tell from your pic, but it appears you have the all black model. I am thinking the carbon look model would be quite popular here.
I went with the lockable flat black. They do have the CF ones as well.
Not sure what I paid but Phil can get them for you. I have an extra one from the 2 pack $55 w US shipping if anyone wants it.

Chris

·
Registered
327 Posts
I went with the lockable flat black. They do have the CF ones as well.
Not sure what I paid but Phil can get them for you. I have an extra one from the 2 pack $55 w US shipping if anyone wants it.

Chris
Pm'd ya.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
The boot locks just fine with it... That silver circle is the key hole...

This illustration should help explain the hinge :

I did a poor job of documenting the install here:

BOEFabrication.com | Beyond Original Equipment

FWIW- I actually don't sell this. I just thought it was a kewl mod. It's lightweight and it's just NEAT!:D It gets everyone's attention when I open the lid, as the mechanism is pretty crafty. Also, I've never locked my [email protected] keys in the boot since:wallbang::eek:

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Thanks for posting extra info turbophil, i wasn't sure who "phil" was from the OP.

oh, this is a nice idea... so on the red car there's no lotus emblem, but on the blue car there is... any reason for the lotus emblem on the blue one? Does this latch occupy the same space as the original key hole? How big is the locking key for this thing? I HATE extra keys, but i also hate the current configuration requiring stopping the engine to get into the boot.

So to close your lid do you set it shut (and it sits all the way shut) and then you close the latch? Where on the current one you drop it from a couple inches and it shuts or you set it down and it sits propped up by the latch mechanism, then you push it shut.

I've yet to lock my keys in the boot, but preventative modifications aren't a bad idea either...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
oh, this is a nice idea... so on the red car there's no lotus emblem, but on the blue car there is... any reason for the lotus emblem on the blue one? Does this latch occupy the same space as the original key hole?
It looks like CHRISN rotated his AeroCatch 180 degrees from the orientation Phil used. This allowed for the removal of the key hole when cutting the opening for the AeroCatch versus covering it with the emblem.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
The way Chris did it is the way we installed it on Darksol's car too... That's the "right" way to do it... If you notice on my car, I had a hood pin setup first and the lotus badge was there to cover the key hole... So the aerocatch was the second and final arrangement that I had. I had to install the way I did to cover up the hood pin setup I had... Follow Chris's lead- Not mine...

It's quite swanky when yer done;)

EDIT: Ah! Darksol you beat me to it... Man, I'm slow lately!

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
:D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts