The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone? I was thinking of buying a second car(can't quite afford an Elise yet). Right now I have a 2004 TSX. I would like a weekender for sporting drives down PCH, etc. I was looking in the 15-25K range. I was thinking 96 M3, 944 Turbo, or something along those lines. Give me some input as well as your own experiences. Thanks.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Good choices.

I would add-

Toyota Spyder
Mazda Miata
94-95 MR2 Turbo
BMW Z3
BMW 3 series
Mazda RX7 tt
Honda S2K
91 NSX in need of paint

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
RareAir23 said:
There seem to be a lot of RX7's available, but they seem to have something wrong with them, or have replaced engines.
Agreed! Nice cars but not cheap to own. :)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I think you're close to the price of a base RX8. With some shopping around and discounts, you could probably hit your target range.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
RareAir23 said:
What's up everyone? I was thinking of buying a second car(can't quite afford an Elise yet). Right now I have a 2004 TSX. I would like a weekender for sporting drives down PCH, etc. I was looking in the 15-25K range. I was thinking 96 M3, 944 Turbo, or something along those lines. Give me some input as well as your own experiences. Thanks.
Are you looking for a powerful coupe or a lower horse power roadster? Will you be autocrossing?

Neil

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Little Bastard said:
BMW Z3 (1.9L-Not stock)
Honda S2000 (used)
Mitsu EVO 8 (used)
Porsche Boxster (used)

Neil
Neil has a bigger budget than I do. ;)

Can you really get a used S2000 in the "teens?"
If so, that would be a nice choice, too.

I was assuming a total budget of $20k would get you a used car in the high teens and some catching up on the previous owner's deferred maintenace. It seems like every used car I've ever bought has needed something.

The nice thing about getting an older car is that it's already lost more of it's value. I can see getting a used M3 or an older 911 for $15k - $18k and other than some maintenance stuff like tires & brakes, not losing any money after 2 or 3 years on resale.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I mentioned S2000 also, because he said up to $25k.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not really a big Z3 fan, and the Boxster can be had for a good price, but I've made fun of everyone whose gotten one (50 a day in Newport Beach), plus without the S it may be a little slow.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Find a 5 year old Miata and drop a BRP M62 supercharger on it. You'll be hooked.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Porsche 914 2.0
Triumph Spitfire
MGB GT

All of the above can be found in various conditions for 5-10K. Add a bit more for the details that an older car will need... and you still should have a heck of a bargain on a fun older car.

Cade

1 - 20 of 39 Posts